Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,738,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Oddly a religious marriage requires a secular acknowledgement to be legal and a secular marriage or civil union, they mean the same, does not require a religious ceremony. I object to the secular law creating a specific class of people (same sex couples) to enforce a personal dislike or religious dogma. If you would defend freedom, defend what you despise.
The state regulates marriage for reasons that have nothing to do with religion. The fact that ministers are allowed to perform marriages simply means they are authorized agents of the state for that limited purpose. Now civil society has always had an interest in defining the marital union and protecting it. A married couple is the building block of society. The state wants that building block to be strong. So it limits who can and cannot be married. Polygamy is banned because it threatens the stability of that unit of society. Marriage between close relatives threatens not only society but the progeny of that union. The fundamental purpose of marriage is procreation as that is how society assures its continuity. That does not mean that every union will result in progeny, for various reasons. But as much as practicable the state tries to ensure marriages will be fruitful. (Obviously that leaves out homosexual unions). I'm sure other reasons may be given that the state wants and needs to regulate marriage. Interestingly the notion of advancing or ratifying romantic love is not one of them. So if the only argument to be made that the state, on equal protection grounds, needs to recognize the "love" of homosexuals the fact is that is not a function of the state and it's not what it does when it licenses marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 06:25 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,740,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The state regulates marriage for reasons that have nothing to do with religion. The fact that ministers are allowed to perform marriages simply means they are authorized agents of the state for that limited purpose. Now civil society has always had an interest in defining the marital union and protecting it. A married couple is the building block of society. The state wants that building block to be strong. So it limits who can and cannot be married. Polygamy is banned because it threatens the stability of that unit of society. Marriage between close relatives threatens not only society but the progeny of that union. The fundamental purpose of marriage is procreation as that is how society assures its continuity. That does not mean that every union will result in progeny, for various reasons. But as much as practicable the state tries to ensure marriages will be fruitful. (Obviously that leaves out homosexual unions). I'm sure other reasons may be given that the state wants and needs to regulate marriage. Interestingly the notion of advancing or ratifying romantic love is not one of them. So if the only argument to be made that the state, on equal protection grounds, needs to recognize the "love" of homosexuals the fact is that is not a function of the state and it's not what it does when it licenses marriage.
My neighborhood may be a bit different than most. I live in the Castro District of San Francisco. We have many gay families with several children. Some who have grown up to be doctors and lawyers and respectable citizens. It does not matter what gender the parents are but how much love and proper attention the children are getting. There are also many who have been in relationships for 30 plus years. My partner and I have been together for over 15 years. Gay people are being discriminated against, plain and simple. This issue needs to be changed on the federal level and not by the states. We will not have true equality until the federal government grants us the same benefits as every one else.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:31 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,158,472 times
I keep hearing this argument from the anti-gay marriage crowd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
A married couple is the building block of society.
What does this mean? Or is it more superficial meaningless blather like "gay marriage will destroy the institution of traditional marriage."

Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,740,862 times
It hasn't destroyed it anywhere that gay marriage is currently allowed.
How could it ? That whole concept is rediculous.
If Bob and Joe or Mary and Diane get married accross the street how is that going to ruin Jim and Sue's marriage ?
It's the 21st century let's move forward and stop the hate and discrimination.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:26 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,345,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You call it progressive, I call it regressive.
When in fact, it's libertarian.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
My neighborhood may be a bit different than most. I live in the Castro District of San Francisco. We have many gay families with several children. Some who have grown up to be doctors and lawyers and respectable citizens. It does not matter what gender the parents are but how much love and proper attention the children are getting. There are also many who have been in relationships for 30 plus years. My partner and I have been together for over 15 years. Gay people are being discriminated against, plain and simple. This issue needs to be changed on the federal level and not by the states. We will not have true equality until the federal government grants us the same benefits as every one else.
The Government should not be granting ANY benefits to anyone, base on marriage.

The laws providing those benefits should be aabolished - and then you would have your "true equality".

Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,222,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Once again Marriage is not a right.

very true, but again, marriage is not in the pervue of any goverment, just the church.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Once again Marriage is not a right.
Wrong!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:42 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,222,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Wrong!

he was correct, it is not a right in the goverment, but it is a right in the church. hence all marriages should be excluded from any goverment regulation and should be left to the churches to decide who gets married and who doesnt.

civil unions are still in the pervue of goverment.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
he was correct, it is not a right in the goverment, but it is a right in the church. hence all marriages should be excluded from any goverment regulation and should be left to the churches to decide who gets married and who doesnt.

civil unions are still in the pervue of goverment.
It is a right outside Church and State.

People have rites, too!

Wright it up.

Upright, not uptight.

Authoritarians will NEVER get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies