Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times

Advertisements

Congressman Pushes For Alcohol Sensors In All Cars - cbs11tv.com (http://cbs11tv.com/local/congressman.supports.sensors.2.1717608.html - broken link)

One of these days there will be no more drinking in public............period. The same nannies that went from putting a warning on a pack of cigarettes to banning smoking outdoors now have their eye on alcohol consumption.

...................and then they came for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Who wants to hear a bunch of noisy drunks with their car stereos blaring leaving a bar, and driving down main street while people are trying to get some sleep ? Small towns are different from Las Vegas. I would hate for my little town to have bars open late. As it is, we have 2 veterans clubs, and alcoholism is a big problem. When people are drinking at 10 am, and want to drink all day, and all night, to boot, it's kind of creepy.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
The closing times used to vary where I live until the law changed about 5 years ago. It changed in the city limits but other areas are able to stay open. I've never liked the mandatory closing time.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I've been thinking about this since I first posted and wondered what effect local restrictions play in this. I mean we have some bars in our small downtown area, but every business there has a closing time and if the bars didn't close, EVER, I'm not sure that would fit with the city defined "use". I may not be explaining this will, but I know from watching city council meetings that every business permit granted comes with rules and regs that keep it in line with whatever other things are going on in the area. Can you follow? 24 hour operation may not fit into the use of the defined area, especially if there is housing nearby.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've been thinking about this since I first posted and wondered what effect local restrictions play in this. I mean we have some bars in our small downtown area, but every business there has a closing time and if the bars didn't close, EVER, I'm not sure that would fit with the city defined "use". I may not be explaining this will, but I know from watching city council meetings that every business permit granted comes with rules and regs that keep it in line with whatever other things are going on in the area. Can you follow? 24 hour operation may not fit into the use of the defined area, especially if there is housing nearby.
Absolutely. Each municipality has the power to make that decision.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:45 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
I agree. Bars should stay open much later! Hehe.

Can't sell alcohol passed 2:30 in my city, and even that late is somewhat of a perk, as most places in America have to stop serving at 2.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually the closing times were a facet of the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. Along with state oversight and licensing of alcohol production and sales.

Annapolis has just received a report recommending the city normalize the bar closing times, right now some are required to close earlier than others depending on the bar location and when the original license was granted. Also in the mix is downtown Annapolis housing with bars right next to or located in residential areas.

OP, just out of curiousity, how old are you?
Jan Morris, in her book Manhattan '45, did claim that NY having closing times later than other states WAS because La Guardia begged for it, as a sign that not even war would shut NYC down. The symbolic importance of that was seen as boosting morale.

While there probably was some concern over the Germans attacking NY it was nowhere near the level of paranoia that existed on the West Coast about a "Pearl Harbor" on the mainland. Mainly because German-Americans looked like other white Americans, whereas Japanese-Americans weren't white and in an era when there were far fewer Asian Americans than today could be more easily targeted.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Congressman Pushes For Alcohol Sensors In All Cars - cbs11tv.com (http://cbs11tv.com/local/congressman.supports.sensors.2.1717608.html - broken link)

One of these days there will be no more drinking in public............period.
Sharon Angle and Mike Huckabee have advocated a return to Prohibition.

Although if alcohol prohibition came back there would be a civil war or revolution in the US

Old 07-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Sharon Angle and Mike Huckabee have advocated a return to Prohibition.

Although if alcohol prohibition came back there would be a civil war or revolution in the US
She said she had concerns about legalized marijuana and had the same concerns about alcohol but didn't actually suggest any return to prohibition.

I don't know anything about Huckabee on that issue.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Because it keeps the population in line with Christian morals.

You work Friday, so you're really to tired to party Friday night to much. Saturday is good, but they want you to go to church Sunday morning, so no partying past 2am.

If someone wants to open a 24hour bar, they should be able to do it with no government involvement.
No kidding, I think the fundie Christian influence, has a lot to do with closing times, in some places. While UT doesn't have a bad model, they do have a stop serving time of 100a (even though the actual bar can close at 200a).....they also had "membership" requirements for bars, up until last summer.
I know UT is Mormon, but ND, with a heavy Christian influence, up until 2005, had a 100a closing time and no drinks on Sunday, law.....at least in stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies