Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Wow! Are you trying to just play devil's advocate or are you really that uninformed that you believe what you posted?

If the latter, please go find a course in Economics 101!
Unfortunately he is serious. Pretty scary isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The hyper wealthy own most of this country and its economy. Let them pay for maintaining our oil empire. The basic income tax deduction should be equal to the 90th percentile of income when all income from all sources is counted. Those in the top 10% should pay the entire bill using a steeply graduated income tax without any loopholes or special exemptions.

Providing tax exemptions and cuts for the wealthy just concentrates to money in the top percentiles without creating, in fact reducing, jobs in this economy.
"Loopholes"???

What "loopholes"???

If you mean deductions, what ones do you object too??

What line item??

Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
"Loopholes"???

What "loopholes"???

If you mean deductions, what ones do you object too??

What line item??
Sit tight, GregW will tell us there should be ZERO deductions for the top 10%.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,411,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The hyper wealthy own most of this country and its economy. Let them pay for maintaining our oil empire. The basic income tax deduction should be equal to the 90th percentile of income when all income from all sources is counted. Those in the top 10% should pay the entire bill using a steeply graduated income tax without any loopholes or special exemptions.

Providing tax exemptions and cuts for the wealthy just concentrates to money in the top percentiles without creating, in fact reducing, jobs in this economy.
Congratulations. You are the first person who ever answered my question, and you didn't know I was asking it.

Of all income taxes paid, the top 10% of earners now pay 70% of the dollars collected. (That top 10% earns just under 50% of all income.)

I have asked, if 70% is not the right amount for the top 10% to pay, what is? 80%, 90%, 100%? Your answer: 100%. I think you are as wrong as you can be, but I credit your honesty.

I believe we tend to get paid what we are worth, and that is a reflection of our value to the rest of society. The neurosurgeon with decades of study and skill development is quite valuable. The recent high school dropout, not so much. Nobody should freeze to death or starve to death, and a proportionate income tax is fine--but your tax scheme is a plan that will have a lot of us eating grass and tree bark in a few short years.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 AM

372 posts, read 221,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
No kidding, not to mention the complete failure of reganomics. "trickle down" and giving benefits to the wealthiest of americans does nothing but line their pockets.
None as blind as those who refuse to see. Here is your cane, and your tin cup. The pencils are on your, and watch out for that, well watch out for everything, Mr. Blinkman.

Last edited by navyapproved; 07-26-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
conc1
after the work is done in a week what does the worker do then?Warren Buffet brags that he stil llives in the same house for the last 30 years and spends just enough for upkeep.
Good ol' Buffet. He lives in his old house and can afford the upkeep. The rest of the population live in new houses that are being foreclosed, or in old houses that are falling apart because they can't afford the upkeep. (Wait until we have to retrofit all our houses, new and old, to be energy compliant.)

All in all, I don't understand the fixation on the part of some to make the "rich" pay for everything. As if they owed it to the rest of the folk. They don't owe it and we're not enititled to it. They earned it - by hook, by crook, by inheritance, by taking risks, and by working smart. They should pay a fair share (percentage wise) just as we all -- all -- should pay our fair share. I'm all for a flat tax on everybody.

In this economy, it might be that job creation as a result of tax cuts may not be as robust as it has been in the past, but that's due more to the uncertainties of this economy, domestic and global, and uncertainty about what scheme Obama will think up next.

I'm pleased that some democrats are joining the ranks of those who support extending the tax cuts. I hope those numbers keep growing.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 AM

372 posts, read 221,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
So what? Do you realize that the U.S. wealth distribution today, is the same as it was in the late '20s? What happened in 1929? That Depression hurt everybody, including the millionaires.
Any idea what it is like in, say Mexico? Wealth is distributed on the basis of earning. Those that don't have wealth, don't have it simply because they haven't earned it. If they want it, do what everyone else has to do and earn it. I know, tough thing for liberals to understand. To them "earn" is a four-letter word, in more ways than one.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:49 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Warren Buffet brags that he stil llives in the same house for the last 30 years and spends just enough for upkeep.
Good ol' Warren Buffett... Wonder why he doesn't put his money where his mouth is and pay all that extra wealth he claims he doesn't need to the U.S. Government?

Hmmm...

Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Good ol' Warren Buffett... Wonder why he doesn't put his money where his mouth is and pay all that extra wealth he claims he doesn't need to the U.S. Government?
I'm trying to figure this out. Are you saying Buffet has indicated d he'd give all his extra money to the government but hasn't, or are you saying Buffet doesn't have extra wealth he claims to have?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM

37,223 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Read a little history. It has always worked.

One thing that has ALWAYS failed- government stimulus. Obama just reminded the nation of this sad reality again.

The Historical Lessons of Lower Tax Rates | The Heritage Foundation
No, you're wrong. There is a btter way to approach this.

Give the tax breaks to the wealthy only AFTER they create the jobs, and rescind them if the jobs disappear.

Put it on a performance basis and things will happen to create jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies