Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
Am I the only one who gets sick of people moving here from other countrys and waving their home flags in our face and we aren't susposed to say anything about it
I agree with you. And I say that as the grandson of people who came to this country and pretty much decided to put their origins in the past and become Americans.

There's nothing wrong with remembering where you come from. But you should also acknowledge that by coming to the United States, you've adopted a new homeland. If you have to display the flag from the country of your birth, do it inside your house. Otherwise, don't start wringing your hands and claiming to be a victim when Americans object.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 07:28 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I agree with you. And I say that as the grandson of people who came to this country and pretty much decided to put their origins in the past and become Americans.

There's nothing wrong with remembering where you come from. But you should also acknowledge that by coming to the United States, you've adopted a new homeland. If you have to display the flag from the country of your birth, do it inside your house. Otherwise, don't start wringing your hands and claiming to be a victim when Americans object.
They should also stop eating food from their country and only eat American food. And they should stop wearing the clothes that their wore in their country and only wear American clothing. And they should give up their music and television programs and participate in only American entertainment. And they should only drive American cars and use products that are made in America...oh wait...scratch the last one.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:30 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
its not a bad thing to not forget where you came from
best response in this thread. I agree.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
I have a stars and bars flying on the back wall of my bedroom closet. But I do have a U.S. flag in my tool shed.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Most of my ancestors came from France but I do not fly the flag of France, ever. It doesn't bother me when legal immigrants come here and wave the flag of their homeland. For some, it's a sign of their culture. However, with some Mexicans it's part of the La Raza goal of taking over parts of our country. I also disagree with people waiving flags of terrorist countries and organizations.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
I live in Germany.

My landlord flies many flags: Bavaria, German, US and Swiss.

Occasionally, on US holidays (so he has to look it up) he displays the US flag; when his kids are in from Switzerland, the Swiss flag is flown; depending on soccer games, either German or Bavarian flag flown.

Today it's Bavaria.

I'm surprised and honored when the US flag is flown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkaze View Post
It could be because that the people hanging the Mexican flags out number all the people hanging flags from European combined and the fact that we are seeing lots of illegals coming from Mexico.
You've been around the US counting them all?
Interesting hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I have a feeling someone didn't know PR was part of the US
But it's not a state; it's an unincorporated territory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico

Last edited by chielgirl; 07-25-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
But it's not a state; it's an unincorporated territory.
Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
didn't say it was a state - said it was part of the US. Kinda like the Virgin Islands. The people there are considered US citizens; not foreign people as the OP stated.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:29 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
didn't say it was a state - said it was part of the US. Kinda like the Virgin Islands. The people there are considered US citizens; not foreign people as the OP stated.
Thank you Tired having to explain myself to people that I'm not foreign despite having Spanish names and English being my 2nd language . Us waving our flag around is no different to waving another state flag around. Just remember our flag has a blue field where the star is and red and white stripes. Cuba's is the opposite, red star field with blue stripes. Don't get them confused.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:32 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

If you have to display the flag from the country of your birth, do it inside your house. Otherwise, don't start wringing your hands and claiming to be a victim when Americans object.
Woo Hoo - YAY FREEDOM!

Wait. What?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Someone call me when there is a thread about all those Irish and Italian flags and bumper stickers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies