Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:55 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times

Advertisements

Rand Paul: Government should not regulate mine industry - Federal Eye -

Rand Paul: Congress has no business protecting miners - The Hill's Healthwatch

"The bottom line is: I'm not an expert, so don't give me the power in Washington to be making rules. You live here, and you have to work in the mines. You'd try to make good rules to protect your people here. If you don't, I'm thinking that no one will apply for those jobs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,951 times
That should go over well in a mining state like Kentucky.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
I'm torn on this issue, and could fall on either side of it.

Honestly, part of me believes the federal government doesn't have any business regulating "safety" concerns that don't impact the country as a whole.

For instance, oil rigs do impact the nation, as it can destroy 1/3rd of our fishing.

But coal mines collapsing don't effect the rest of the nation in that manner.

However, if regulations are removed, I believe more leverage should be given to unions. If they strike over safety concerns, the government should not step end to end the dispute.

But I also feel terrible for miners, and their families. I don't want to be cold on this issue, there is a real human element that I'm not in touch with, as I don't mine.

I just don't know, I'll be reading.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:13 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,385 times
We just had a mine collapse a couple months ago, so that shows you how ridiculous this point of view is. You are not allowed to make a profit at the cost of human lives, this is ridiculous.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm torn on this issue, and could fall on either side of it.

Honestly, part of me believes the federal government doesn't have any business regulating "safety" concerns that don't impact the country as a whole.

For instance, oil rigs do impact the nation, as it can destroy 1/3rd of our fishing.

But coal mines collapsing don't effect the rest of the nation in that manner.
In both instances, we're looking not at the resource itself but protecting people. How is that not in the national interest? I assume you're opposed to child labor laws, minimum wage etc?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,509 times
Those comments right there tell me he knows more than pelosi, reid, or any of the other idiots in charge.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,951 times
Talking Repeal safety regs = political genius?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Those comments right there tell me he knows more than pelosi, reid, or any of the other idiots in charge.

Please expand on your reasoning.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Please expand on your reasoning.
He knows enough to know that he's not an expert. pelosi, reid and the gang haven't grasped the concept yet that government isn't the answer to all our woes.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
In both instances, we're looking not at the resource itself but protecting people. How is that not in the national interest? I assume you're opposed to child labor laws, minimum wage etc?
What is with child labor laws anyway? I think children should work at an early age for many reasons. It adds to family recourses, it teaches the children the puritan work ethic, it helps finance the lifestyle of the families who started the business in the first place. And above all we may be able to compete with China and India in short order.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Where in the Constitution does it say its the governments right to protect the worker from themselves?

No one is forcing anyone to walk down that mine shaft, and they can move if they really wanted to.

Its not a have to choice, its a choice they make for the money. There are other jobs in those communities, they just don't pay squat. They are compensated because of the danger, by their employer.

If it was a mining camp, like they used to have, where they paid their laborers with mine money, to be spent at mine stores, I'd see a point. But these are different days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies