Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Almost all chronic illness can be prevented, cured or managed with changes in diet and habits.
Almost? What the hell does that mean. I've met several idiot doctors who say the same thing because they're ignorant about many conditions, lazy and frightened of the DEA. And thats a fact. There may be chronic conditions that are curable, many are not and are way beyond someone's eating habits and the fact they don't do jumping jacks at noon everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:39 AM

720 posts, read 691,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Almost? What the hell does that mean. I've met several idiot doctors who say the same thing because they're ignorant about many conditions, lazy and frightened of the DEA. And thats a fact. There may be chronic conditions that are curable, many are not and are way beyond someone's eating habits and the fact they don't do jumping jacks at noon everyday.
Although I do not agree with how this guy is being treated about his health-care, I do have to say that this statement is ludicrous. It is very naive and ignorant, or stupid(??) to belive that all chronic illnesses can be cured on those standards..

Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Let's all not forget WHY insurance is so expensive: because it exists, health care providers at all levels can charge far more than they would otherwise. The providers then have to hire a staff of bureaucrats to fill out the insurance company paperwork--and that staff gets added to the costs. And with the huge insurance industry acting as a middleman, they get to grow a huge bureaucracy with "executives" making obscene salaries. Since the insurance middleman has control of so much money, they can buy all the politicians they need to protect their empire. And of course the tort-liability lawyers (protected by their Democrat politicians) raise the costs of health care for everyone by getting lottery-winnings for a few unfortunates and taking 1/3 of said lottery-winnings for their troubles.

Notice that Obamacare made sure these guys got to keep their power and money (while everyone else loses): the Insurance Industry, Big Pharma, and the Tort-Liability Lawyers. The American wage-earner faces not only loss of their employer-paid insurance, but also large increases in everybody's premiums, tons of new taxes with the hiring of a new "army" of IRS agents, and the rationing that will be inevitable as doctors flee the system.

Europe covers everyone with health care insurance by the government being the insurance provider. America uses the capitalist middleman, the Insurance Industry, to manage the provision of health care.

There were many things that could have been done to actually reform America's system, but of course all of them were "negotiated" away as our bought-and-paid-for politicians represented their masters (the Insurance Industry, Big Pharma, Lawyers). So we got the worst of all worlds: a bunch more people thrown on Medicaid with the money taken out of Medicare, and close to a trillion dollars in new taxes over 10 years, and huge disincentives for businesses to provide insurance for their workers.

And let's not forget the cherry on top: the entire economy sits in virtual stasis, still shedding jobs, while businesses wait for some political sanity to appear on the far horizon.
You are absolutely correct. Very well said! This new system will not succeed very long. It will not take very long for throngs of Americans to topple this scheme in short order once implemented.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:08 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I'm just waiting for the geniuses to explain why it costs $32,142.85 per day for this hospital bill to begin with? That's $1,339.28 per hour X 24 hours nonstop. Or, almost a Million Dollars a month.

I think you could get a penthouse suite in Manhattan, and have an entire staff of nurses, doctors and surgeons dedicated solely to YOU, and not spend anywhere near this much money. So why does it cost this much for a drab room, and minimal contact with a doctor and a nurse?

And I'd like to know how anyone's brain can conclude how wonderful it is to force EVERYONE at gunpoint to foot this $32,142.85 per day bill for others, out of their pockets?

You cannot rationalize such absurd irrationality, no matter how much you try to explain it.
One reason for high health care costs is from all the greedy slip and fall lawyers, whose over zealous litigations drive up all health related costs. A surgeon is paid an annual salary of $400,000, because half of it goes towards her medical malpractice insurance, and another $40,000 a year goes to pay of her student loans. BTW, nothing in 0bamaCare lowers either of these costs, we will simply absorb them, as if our endless supply of taxpayer money will make them seem like they don't even exist.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 AM

17,402 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Instead of seeking to fix & correct the issues that make health care so expensive (tort reform & being able to purchase insurance across state lines would be a fantastic move to decreasing costs), Obamacare throws it's hands up and basically says, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em and seeks to control the health care system in it's entirety.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM

15,070 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That's what I'm trying to explain to everyone. You know who drives up those costs? People like him who think they can get by without insurance,then when something does happen expect everyone else to foot the bill. I'm taking it from the perspective of a nurse. You know my pay has gone down because of people who think that paying a health insurance bill wasn't important. Most times,people don't even try to put 20 dollars on the bill. They just pay nothing,since it doesn't effect them right now.
In my previous "dissertation" which may have been too verbose for some to read, I went into great detail on the real problem at the heart of the "Sick Care" system we have now.

But I want to emphasize a point you are trying to make here ... that it is the uninsured who are at fault for driving the high costs of "health care". That is absolute nonsense ... total propaganda ... and another sham to get the sheep to herd the other sheep to slaughter. (an attempt to force everyone to become a financial slave, by law, to support this corrupt system of sickness).

It's the exact same ploy for which the financial institutions try to blame mortgage defaults for the financial crisis ... it's the "blame the victim" game, while the criminals continue looting the system.

The health care system is totally corrupt, top to bottom, and it would be easier to list the things that are right than it would be to itemize everything that is wrong. And one of the last items on the agenda requiring attention would be how to cope with the uninsured. They are not the problem here. But as the debate stands now, it's a mirror of the fundamental flaw in the system of medicine itself which does nothing but treat symptoms of disease, rather than the causes.

We have a case of profound conflicts of interest, whereas the insatiable desire to maximize profit is in direct opposition to the goal of reducing healthcare costs, in the same exact manner that good health negatively affects those sought after profits, while sickness delivers those dollars. SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Therefore, the greatest positive impact that could be made in reforming the health care system right now isn't going to come from the system itself. It must come from the outside, and must focus EVERY effort on eliminating the major causes of illness which would provide long term health to the public, while recognizing significant reductions in the costs. Unfortunately, as I made clear earlier, a system that profits from sickness will not of it's own accord, pursue such a course that is counter to it's own interests. And it is shear foolishness to expect otherwise.

Educate yourself ... don't rely on others. Spend the time to investigate the issues of: Fluoride in the water ... the debilitating affects of HFC's; Aspartame; MSG; GMO foods; Soy; and a laundry list of chemicals, preservatives, and artificial flavors that are literally in EVERYTHING you buy at the grocery store. These are making people sick. They are making people fat. And they are the PRIMARY health threat faced today. Eliminate these poisons and a state of better health would emerge almost immediately.

The next step would be to address the frauds being foisted upon the public by the pseudo-scientific medical establishment under the guise of good health that is in fact destroying health.

The high cholesterol scam and it's statin drugs (the most prescribed drug in existence today), along with the massively over prescribed antibiotics; the epidemic of antidepressants, etc. But the most important, and the greatest medical crime of the century are vaccines, and particularly the massive amounts that are being pumped into children, beginning at infancy. This is, without a doubt, borderline infanticide, disguised as medical care, with caring parents unwittingly poisoning their own children under the direction of trusted health care professionals. And there is NO EXCUSE for such ignorance on either side .. the parents or the doctors. The information is there exposing these poisons for what they are, and that is exactly what they are. But it's even worse than poison, because these and other vaccines are KNOWN to contain mycoplasmas, cancer viruses, swine, avian, and monkey viruses, along with heavy metals like mercury and aluminum.

Now you need not take the leap to recognize this for what it truly is ... a purposeful attack on human health starting from infancy to adulthood. But you cannot honesty investigate these matters and deny their existence, even if you choose to consider them inadvertent damage coinciding with the best of intensions.

In order to fully understand the problems here, you need a history lesson ... one you will not get in school, whether it be nursing, or medical school, as all of this "professional training" is in reality "indoctrination" to the FOR PROFIT SICK CARE SYSTEM.

At the risk of again being too lengthy in discourse, I'm going to give you ONE EXAMPLE that you can investigate on your own to determine if I'm just "full of it" or if you and others need to pay attention to what I am presenting here.

Vaccines. Whenever anyone challenges the legitimacy or efficacy or value of vaccines, the pro-vaccine group invariably cites the virtues and success of the "Small Pox" vaccine (the very first vaccine, which led to all others)

I got news for you. That vaccine was a total fraud. For almost 100 years, this vaccine used the "cow pox" virus as it's active component. And back in the days of it's origin, and for almost a hundred years, it was considered wildly successful and the tool for virtually eradicating small pox. Now, as medical science and technology has advanced (and I use this term loosely), we now know that "cow pox" and "small pox" are two entirely different viruses. Why is that so significant? Because the very mechanism for which vaccines are said to confer protection are based on the development of antibodies to a "specific virus". Antibodies for one virus do NOTHING to protect you from a different virus. Consequently, the vaccine that is still considered the "mother" of all vaccines was then, and still is today, a total fraud and could not have been the least bit effective. It is an absolute IMPOSSIBILITY that small pox vaccine could have provided any useful purpose other than generation a lot of money, while also creating a lot of disease and misery.

Even worse, those within the industry KNOW THIS, as do they know the harm being inflicted by the vaccines they produce today. But it is such a central part of the Sick Care System, they will lie, cheat, steal, and kill to protect it.

Did they teach you that in nursing school? I didn't think so.

Time to teach yourself. You have the same tools at your disposal that I have ... a computer, and a brain.

Don't believe me ... I don't want you to. I want you and others to do what I did .... it's the only way you can know the truth ... to discover it for yourself.

Thoroughly investigate this one issue ... small pox vaccine ... and you will understand how you've been deliberately lied to. Then, you can tackle all of the rest of the lies. Baby steps!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Just for you Einstien...

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)

It requires hospitals and ambulance services to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay.
Thank you. I thought you had something else that would support the argument you placed (which got us to this point). To quote (emphasis mine)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
I'm simply stating the obvious, we provide free hospital care for illegal immigrants, and people who oppose it get blasted, so why not provide a legal citizen the same luxury? Oh wait that wouldn't be PC..

As for double standards, well there is one. Providing the illegal immigrants free health care but not the legal citizens...
Is that what the program does?

And, as I have said over and over again, ER ain't free. It accounts for tens of billions in fiscal waste every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
You can't answer my question. Making insurance mandatory for everyone is not going to bring down costs. All it does is force insurance companies to pay more than they were before. This is going to increase premiums. All you are doing is pushing more of the cost from patients and/or doctors to insurance companies.

My solution is to get the government completly out of medicine.

Don't talk about things I can't back up? LOLs. It's federal law. It's a matter of public record. It's not my fault you aren't intelligent enough to be able to find it for yourself. I'm not your personal research department. What a moron. If it was something that made Reagan look bad to you I bet you would have it bookmarked.

And btw, I don't give a rats ass what you ask me. You must really think highly of yourself. Demanding me to do your research. LOLs.
Unless you can do more than frame a question on a magical math, or at least explain why 55% increase in premium (and over unspecified period) is something to worry while you ignore the debacle that has been 230% increase in health insurance premiums, I find my hands tied to discuss it with you, much less answer your question. And when you expect someone to answer your question, don't ignore one they asked you to.

As for the federal law, see above. Is that what you were talking about? LOL.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I think you've got me mixed up with somebody else. If you think I'm fighting for for-profiit insurance companies who sit squarely between doctor and patient, you've got the wrong guy.
Actually no. You suggested that she take her head out of the sand. She wasn't blaming the doctors, or health care providers in general. May be there was something lost in translation.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,454 times
1) Too many paper pushers - You have to deal with administrative staff, billing, insurance, check in, check out, appointment, and so on

2) Overly paid nurses and doctors - This remind me of the DotCom period when every engineering or technology companies are paying high sum of money just to hired people. I think the the salary could not be justify..

Last edited by ReefAreCoolToo; 08-11-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 10:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basically the US is providing and payin ffor 70% of medical research and drug reserch i the world at this time. That is going to have to be stopped as bascailly we cannot affors it. We alos need to face the reality that tyrail lawyers have increased to such numbers that we have to strcit there cost to the system in both malpractice cost and treatment cost from testing cover your butt ordered by doctors.Bascailly we are facing much different healthcare standards in the near future to control cost which this healthcare bill did not address because of politics and control over this congress of trial lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies