Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,963,353 times

Advertisements

I think there are a number of problems that different posters have touched upon and, as GuyNTexas stated, it is easier to list the things that are right than those that are wrong.

Believe it or not, our system does actually work. But the dollar, human and social cost is extremely high. We pay more for health care than any other developed country, medical bills are a leading cause of personal financial difficulty and bankruptcy and the need for health care often drives personal career and lifestyle choices.

At the same time, our system is inherently unfair. We provide free or subsidized care for the poor, for seniors, for the military and for anyone who is uninsured. All this is paid for by taxpayers who are also expected to pay for their own health insurance.

In addition to paying for health care, we also pay for the profits of the insurance companies, for all the clerical jobs that having the "middleman" has created as well as funding much of the world's R&D in the area of health care.

Personally, I have been very disappointed in Obamacare because it did not address the fundamental failings of the system. Certainly it addressed a few abuses by the insurance companies but many of the systemic problems are still there and the costs will simply continue to rise as a result. I felt that Obama had the mandate and the Congressional majority to be bold but that he caved in to multiple special interests.

So what is the solution? For myself, I think we need to move towards some form of UHC. We already have it for much of the population so why not just extend it? That does not mean you need to jettison the private sector. For example, we have private utilities which are regulated by the states to ensure that consumers do not get screwed. Why can we not regulate health care costs so that providers make a good living and consumers can afford it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 01:41 PM

720 posts, read 692,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Thank you. I thought you had something else that would support the argument you placed (which got us to this point). To quote (emphasis mine)...

Is that what the program does?

And, as I have said over and over again, ER ain't free. It accounts for tens of billions in fiscal waste every year.

Unless you can do more than frame a question on a magical math, or at least explain why 55% increase in premium (and over unspecified period) is something to worry while you ignore the debacle that has been 230% increase in health insurance premiums, I find my hands tied to discuss it with you, much less answer your question. And when you expect someone to answer your question, don't ignore one they asked you to.

As for the federal law, see above. Is that what you were talking about? LOL.
Of course it is not entirely free. Stop twisting words just to avoid being wrong...

I never said it was free in the sense you are talking about, and yes there is tons of money wasted on it, however to the people walking through the ER doors with no health insurance, it's free ! SO I say again, if illegal immigrants get "free" healthcare by simply going to the local ER, then why not waste it on a legal citizen as well?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:54 PM

9,022 posts, read 13,885,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefAreCoolToo View Post
1) Too many paper pushers - You have to deal with administrative staff, billing, insurance, check in, check out, appointment, and so on

2) Overly paid nurses and doctors - This remind me of the DotCom period when every engineering or technology companies are paying high sum of money just to hired people. I think the the salary could not be justify..
I want to know what makes people think nurses are overpaid?
What should we make per hour according to you?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Of course it is not entirely free. Stop twisting words just to avoid being wrong...

I never said it was free in the sense you are talking about, and yes there is tons of money wasted on it, however to the people walking through the ER doors with no health insurance, it's free ! SO I say again, if illegal immigrants get "free" healthcare by simply going to the local ER, then why not waste it on a legal citizen as well?
Actually,they get a bill some days later expaining the costs.

Its free for neither. If they don't pay,the hospital has to absorb the costs.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,096,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I went to the emergency 2 years ago. They knoocked off quite a bit from the bill because I didn't have insurance and agreed to pay right away.

The doctor was willing to take less money because he got payment then and he had less paperwork to do without the insurance company.
How many of the working poor have several thousand dollars laying around to pay emergency room/dr fees right away?

I would guess zero.

They will end up being charged more than what an insurance company would have to pay.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Actually,they get a bill some days later expaining the costs.

Its free for neither. If they don't pay,the hospital has to absorb the costs.
Exactly, it is free to the patient using the ER(because they are not paying the bill), you just said the very same thing I said!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I want to know what makes people think nurses are overpaid?
What should we make per hour according to you?
Oh hell no! I personally believe nurses should make more than doctors! They do 90 percent of the work>>>

Old 08-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
One reason for high health care costs is from all the greedy slip and fall lawyers, whose over zealous litigations drive up all health related costs. A surgeon is paid an annual salary of $400,000, because half of it goes towards her medical malpractice insurance, and another $40,000 a year goes to pay of her student loans. BTW, nothing in 0bamaCare lowers either of these costs, we will simply absorb them, as if our endless supply of taxpayer money will make them seem like they don't even exist.
This is correct. That high salry that everyone seems to want lowered will just cause a severe shortage od doctors and nurses. We have to make a living too. Nurses have to have malpractice insurance too. As I said,how fair is it he gets to drive a car with a 400 a month payment and those condo fees,and I don't own a home or have a 400 dollar car payment,yet people want my salary reduced so he can keep the things he has,when I don't have them myself? I'm a middle class,hardworking person too.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,096,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Yep. Everyone on the left, including Obama, spent years telling us how evil insurance companies are and how they would just people die instead of paying for services.

Then they pass a law requiring us to do business with them and making them even more powerful at the same time. Brilliant.
The Republicans forced the Dems to drop the public option..........which would have forced the "for profit" incurance companies to become more competetive with their own rates.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Exactly, it is free to the patient using the ER(because they are not paying the bill), you just said the very same thing I said!
If they don't pay,it goes on the credit report,and bill collectors will start calling,so there will still be a price to pay. Bad credit,that's the price.

Its also not free to the hospital providing the services. When hospitals have a large number of the uninsured to treat,they ask the state goverment for money. The state gets it from the taxpayers.

Free for whom again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies