Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
The issue is liability, the ability to sue.
:
Some US hospitals tried to "outsource" radiology readings over to India a few years ago. They all used "board certified" US trained radiologists in India. But the hospitals were faced with this: If the Indian radiologist made a mistake, and is based in India....who gets sued? And if the doctor in India doesn't have a medical license in that particular state, is he/she practically medicine illegally?
Liability is something conservatives here want to get rid off or at least weaken to the extent of it being ineffective, so that can become a moot point as well. See Texas.

As for outsourcing, quite a few services can be. Someone I know, without insurance, had to have an MRI done. He was quoted $3800 if he paid cash. Being from India, he decided to fly out ($900 round trip from Boston), paid $150 for the MRI, spent couple of weeks vacationing, and returned home, spending less than half as much as he was expected to pay for just the MRI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:58 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
You would think that SOMEONE would either challenge or agree with my previous posts about the system being geared to make you sick, providing revenue vehicles for the medical machine that feeds itself by keeping the public perpetually poked, prodded and medicated. Not a peep.

One has to conclude that the vast majority then views this perpetual sickness as a natural condition of the species, when it is not.

Moreover, if you were to take the average person of 70 years of age today, and examine their medical history, what you are likely to see is a chart of 10 or more pages, listing all of the medical interventions, procedures and medications indicating that they've required more maintenance than a poorly constructed automobile ... a LEMON. Why?

And if the propaganda were true ... the idea that we have enjoyed the best medical care the world over ... the most technologically advanced system in existence, why are Americans so sick, so fat, so unhealthy as a whole?

I'll say it again, it is because the system thrives on illness, and health is the enemy.

Apparently, this seems to be acceptable, and the only concern being voiced here is the need to ensure that EVERYONE pays their fair share for this perpetual state of disease and sickness being imposed on them.

I'm shocked by the level of apathy and denial.

If you want to FIX the healthcare system and it's skyrocketing costs, you need look no further than your "medicine cabinet", your refrigerator, your pantry, and your water spigot.

Take 20 minutes of your time, and inspect all of the common food products you purchase and consume on a daily basis, and read the labels. Now, write down the dozens of ingredients that you can neither pronounce, spell, or explain what it is, and then ask yourself why you are consuming things like this?

You might also want to list some of the things you can pronounce, like Soy, Aspartame, etc, and google "dangers of Soy, Aspartame, etc.

Now, look in your medicine cabinet and write down the names of your prescriptions ... old and current (if you are like the average American over 40, you're likely to have more than one, plus the over the counter stuff). And check each one by searching "dangers of ....fill in the blank".

What you are going to find is that all of those things that say "Diet X" or "Low Fat Y" or "Sugar Free Z" are making you fat and sick all at the same time.

You're going to find that the medications you take have potential side effects that are more serious than the condition for which your doctor prescribed them for ... conditions, by the way, which are probably connected to all of the substances you consume that you cannot pronounce or spell or define.

Let's take one example that is a common product, especially for kids ... a chocolate cupcake ... by a famous manufacturer that everyone is familiar with:

Ingredients
Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Flour, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron)B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1)Riboflavin (B2)Folic Acid)Water, Corn Syrup, Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (contains One or More of: Partially Hydrogenated Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola Oil, Beef Fat)High Fructose Corn Syrup, Cocoa, Cocoa Processed with Alkali. contains 2% or Less of: Whey, Modified Corn Starch, Cellulose Gum, Gelatin, Agar, Leavenings (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Sodium Phosphate)Chocolate Liquor, Dextrose, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Cornstarch, Soy Protein Isolate, Guar Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Sorbitan, Monostearate, Polysorbate 60, Propylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin, Glycerine Wheat Gluten, Sodium and Calcium Caseinate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Sorbate and Sorbic Acid (to Retain Freshness)

At least 40 ingredients, plus what is labeled "Artificial and Natural Flavors" but not specified what they are (unnamed Chemicals).

Yum, Yum ... I love me some Soy Protein Isolate, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Propylene Glycol, Gar Gum, and all of those delicious varieties of Phosphates ... Polysorbates, Monostearates, and Sulfates!!

And if you don't LOVE THIS WONDERFUL STUFF ... you may be suffering from a very serious mental disorder .. Orthorexia nervosa (I think this is latin for nervous about eating poisons or something like that ). That's right, according to the American Psychiatric Community, if you care about what you consume, and avoid chemicals and sugars and such, you suffer from "Healthy eating disorder". (I swear, you just can't make this stuff up).

And do you know who is most at risk for contracting this mental disease? Well, apparently, the disease afflicts equal numbers of men and women, and the most at risk are generally over 30 who are well educated, middle-class people who read about food scares, research them on the Internet, and have the time and resources to purchase what they believe to be purer alternatives.

Now the medical experts don't come right out in so many words and say this, but the converse ... those least likely to suffer this disorder are all of the uneducated idiots who don't give a rat's behind what they eat! I suppose, ignorance truly is bliss.

According to these "medical experts", this new mental disorder can be very serious and debilitating! And I can see where they are coming from here ... because you can literally drive yourself CRAZY trying to find a product in the grocery store that isn't FILLED WITH POISONS. HAHAHAHA

Now, shut the F up, and eat your twinkies ... else we'll have to write you out a prescription for Prozac, since the lithium we have been putting in your water doesn't seem to be working for you!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:07 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You would think that SOMEONE would either challenge or agree with my previous posts about the system being geared to make you sick, providing revenue vehicles for the medical machine that feeds itself by keeping the public perpetually poked, prodded and medicated. Not a peep.
Huh? You realize without any intervention, Bill Clinton would have been dead for a few year ago from heart disease. Having the heart bypass surgery has prolonged his life.

Same thing as with Dick Cheney.

If you catch the disease early enough, you save lives. Now the issue is how many lives are saved vs. the total costs of trying to diagnose those illnesses.

Are screening colonoscopies worth it? It's not worth to the 500 people who have it but the GI doctor doesn't find anything. People think they would have just wasted money. But it's sure worth it to that 1 guy who gets detected early at the age of 40 years old because he was told to come in 10 years early because of his family history.

That's the odds you play with with the cost of US medicine. Do you want to be that one person whose cancer isn't detected early enough and has to die.

Do you want to be Bill Clinton or Dick Cheney without access to prompt semi-emergency heart surgeries that other countries force you to wait for a usual 6 weeks prior to having that surgery. In the mean time, you are a ticking time bomb, not knowing if you heart will suffer a fatal heart attack.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:28 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times
That's not the state's problem. If he can't afford it, the state will pay for it for him. It's called Commonwealth Care.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:32 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
One who claims to know so much about the situation with Mass. health care must certainly know that Romney vetoed several sections of the bill only to be overridden by the Democratic legislature. Among the sections he vetoed were several that gave a free ride to the bottom feeders. I just thought that I'd mention that since you convieniently left that part out.
Never claimed to know a great deal about Mass.

But I do know that a major glaring omission on your part was that Mitt Romney's, CPAC & formerly known as conservatives Pres candidate all star, RomneyCare was the ancestor of what you call ObamieCare (which is quite curious because was it not Congress, rather than the adminstration that wrote the bill).

And furthermore, if the bill is so bad, 6 years after the fact, why haven't the people of Mass, repealed it yet?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Never claimed to know a great deal about Mass.

But I do know that a major glaring omission on your part was that Mitt Romney's, CPAC & formerly known as conservatives Pres candidate all star, RomneyCare was the ancestor of what you call ObamieCare (which is quite curious because was it not Congress, rather than the adminstration that wrote the bill).

And furthermore, if the bill is so bad, 6 years after the fact, why haven't the people of Mass, repealed it yet?
We couldn't even legalize gambling in the state, lol.

There is a large movement for a single payer system here, or even a buy-in type of system. But so far nothing.

Most people in the state don't really see any effect from it, negative or otherwise.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

I do agree with you.

And I think it's no coincidence that the rise of children's allergies also coincides with all the crap we put into our bodies.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
We couldn't even legalize gambling in the state, lol.

There is a large movement for a single payer system here, or even a buy-in type of system. But so far nothing.

Most people in the state don't really see any effect from it, negative or otherwise.
States have the option with crafting their own healthcare system under RomneyCare 2.0.

This may be an avenue worth pursuing for doing a Medi buyin at the state or individual level.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
States have the option with crafting their own healthcare system under RomneyCare 2.0.

This may be an avenue worth pursuing for doing a Medi buyin at the state or individual level.
I see what you mean. I meant tho within the Commonwealth, under Commonwealth law.

I was thinking about this the other day. How much money do we spend on Medicare, Social Security, SCHIP? Which we all agree is a part of our American society-heck even the Tea Party wants to keep them.

So what if we took the trillions we spend and reallocated all of it to a single payer system. Everyone is covered. It's probably already paid for. We won't be wasting hundreds of billions in overhead costs, plus we already pay for the system anyway. So no new taxation.

Just a thought.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I see what you mean. I meant tho within the Commonwealth, under Commonwealth law.

I was thinking about this the other day. How much money do we spend on Medicare, Social Security, SCHIP? Which we all agree is a part of our American society-heck even the Tea Party wants to keep them.

So what if we took the trillions we spend and reallocated all of it to a single payer system. Everyone is covered. It's probably already paid for. We won't be wasting hundreds of billions in overhead costs, plus we already pay for the system anyway. So no new taxation.

Just a thought.
In this post and throughout that whole thread, I have articles that might be of interest to in for the varied factors that play into the cost of healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies