Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM

9,022 posts, read 13,889,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No, he has 2 loans on one condo. Try reading the article. Twice, if you have to...

God, it's so obvious that you're completely oblivious to this man's situation. READ THE ARTICLE.
Let's see/ when I figured my monthly costs,I do a budget and include my health care costs,which he obviously didn't do. I knew that with the cost of healthcare I couldn't afford to but a home at the time,so I rent and continue to do so. Why should I,as a responsible adult, subsidize his healthcare,either by paying higher taxes,health insurance premiums,or having my salary cut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,887,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No, he has 2 loans on one condo.
A case of someone extending his leg too far?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 PM

I reread the article and It gets even better. Why does he have a 400 dollar car payment? and high condo fees? Someone in the above posts mentioned I was against the man's decision to sue because it involved pay. Do you expect me to work for free? Or minimum wage?

I don't have a 400 dollar car payment,or 400 in condo fees for that matter,yet some of you make it seem I should take a pay cut so others could enjoy 400 car payments and mortages beyond their means,all of which I don't have.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,965,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I reread the article and It gets even better. Why does he have a 400 dollar car payment? and high condo fees? Someone in the above posts mentioned I was against the man's decision to sue because it involved pay. Do you expect me to work for free? Or minimum wage?

I don't have a 400 dollar car payment,or 400 in condo fees for that matter,yet some of you make it seem I should take a pay cut so others could enjoy 400 car payments and mortages beyond their means,all of which I don't have.

So, what is your solution? Would you refuse him or his wife treatment?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So, what is your solution? Would you refuse him or his wife treatment?
Treatment for what? You do know little things can turn serious. The common cold can turn into pneumonia. A bad sinus infection can turn into menengitis.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,059,892 times
Quote:
Let's see/ when I figured my monthly costs,I do a budget and include my health care costs,which he obviously didn't do. I knew that with the cost of healthcare I couldn't afford to but a home at the time,so I rent and continue to do so. Why should I,as a responsible adult, subsidize his healthcare,either by paying higher taxes,health insurance premiums,or having my salary cut?
Just how much do you pay and how mcuh does your employer or do you poay anything?you do realise that the taxpayers are getting ready to pay for mnay peole helthcare plan;I would take it. CBO estimates that by 215 there will still be 15 million without healthcare. The hospitals actaully makeup for it by charging more to otehr specaificlly private insurance. But even if he hasd medciare or medicaid it would be the same. The reason that healthcare payments will be reduced is its on a unsustainable course right now ;way inflated.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,965,993 times
Quote:
Treatment for what? You do know little things can turn serious. The common cold can turn into pneumonia. A bad sinus infection can turn into menengitis.

I'm well aware of that.

So, hypothetically, lets say his kidneys have stopped working. He needs dialysis and, maybe later, a kidney transplant. He has no insurance and cannot afford the treatment. As a health care professional what do you do? Do you deny him treatment? Do you let him die?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,518,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Nope. If the cost is same, why does an insurance company expect one to pay more for out of network coverage?

The argument on added cost of insurance due to uninsured is about the cost recuperation by providers for non-payments. Someone has to pay, unless you believe they are fine swallowing the costs in the name of public welfare.

And how do you propose it can be accomplished?

Health insurance premiums have risen 230% between 1999 ($5791/family) and 2009 ($13,375) (http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/patients/articles/?storyId=29490 - broken link) and you didn't even feel it, while percentage of employees providing the benefit dropped from 66% to 60% with more considering dropping coverage due to exorbitant increase in costs, deemed unsustainable. And here, your magical math is trying to prove that covering everybody is a bad idea?

And I couldn't find it. Let us hope when people make claims, they can back it up.
If everyone is forced to buy insurance then the cost is not going to come down. All you do is force insurance companies to pay out more. That means premiums are going to go up. Health care is still going to cost the same. You are just forcing someone besides the patient to pay for it.

And how do you know I didn't feel the increases in insurance premiums? Please don't tell me garbage like that.

How do I propose it to be accomplished? I said disease can be prevented and/or cured by diet and lifestlye changes. I suggest that people change their diets and lifestyles.

Don't care if you could find it or not. In 1986 Ronald Reagan signed into law that a person cannot be denied medical care in the U.S. because of a lack of funds on the patients part. Legal status of said patient does not matter. Don't believe me? I don't care.

Calll your doctor and ask him.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 PM

15,120 posts, read 8,698,621 times
Quote:
Easy. We are more obese than other countries and we have unhealthful behaviors. Also someone above mentioned they didn't go to the doctor unless they had to. A lot of illnesses,when you do have symptoms,its too late. Preventive care should be emphasized more,including regular checkups to catch things that can be treated early and would costs less before they become advanced and harder to treat and more expensive.
My earlier comment about the outrageousness of $32,000 per day hospital care simply went by the wayside. And the larger issue in the Healthcare debate today is being ignored entirely. The debate seems to be solely focused on WHO pays, rather than WHAT is being payed for ... which should be the most important place to start (if someone really cared about the health aspect rather than just the money). And what I'm about to say is going to fly in the face of everything you THINK you know about the "system" you are a part of. But what you believe is true, and what you've been taught to believe is in reality, a total fraud.

The first thing we need to do is rename the system to reflect it's true nature, and the best name for it would be the "Sick System" instead of Health Care System, that really has no use for "health", which is why it doesn't "Care" about anything but money. The entire system is designed and profits from treating illness rather than curing or preventing disease, which is why there is so little focus on preventive health care. THERE IS NO MONEY IN HEALTH, therefore it should come as no surprise why we are sicker, and fatter and more unhealthy than ever before, while also paying through the nose, astronomical costs.

What we really have here is the ULTIMATE conflict of interests. We have a "for profit" medical establishment that the public relies on for their health, when health is in fact the mortal enemy of that establishment. To say this is the essence of dichotomy would be an understatement. And yet, the only thing that is discussed are who pays and how much, which is also steeped in conflicts of interests.

Who is it that wants lower costs? The customers (patients) want lower costs ... the insurance companies want "their payout costs" to come down ... but do Doctors want their incomes reduced? Nurses? Hospitals? Pharmaceutical Companies? Medical Equipment Manufacturers? Medical Salesmen? Medical "Non Profit" Associations? (that's an oxymoron to say non profit and medical in the same sentence). No, they do not! Surprise Surprise. And to use your car mechanic analogy, he doesn't want a car produced that never breaks or needs maintenance any more than the medical community wants a vibrant, healthy public that never gets ill. That's right, Florence Nightingale, not even you want to lose pay, as you've made all too clear, and the elimination of disease would put you out of a job, along with most of the medical establishment.

Of course there will always be a need for trauma treatment, and I have the utmost respect for those in the field of emergency care, and those gifted folks that can save lives with their miraculous surgical skills. But in areas of common medical diagnoses and treatment of a non trauma variety, the medical establishment often does more harm than good, and the shocking statistics have now been well documented by a group of researchers made up of Medical Doctors and PhD's who are NOT ON ANYBODY'S payroll.

Quote:
Death by Medicine

source: Death by Medicine* By Gary Null

By Gary Null, PhD; Carolyn Dean MD, ND; Martin Feldman, MD; Debora Rasio, MD; and Dorothy Smith, PhD

Something is wrong when regulatory agencies pretend that vitamins are dangerous, yet ignore published statistics showing that government-sanctioned medicine is the real hazard.

Until now, Life Extension could cite only isolated statistics to make its case about the dangers of conventional medicine. No one had ever analyzed and combined ALL of the published literature dealing with injuries and deaths caused by government-protected medicine. That has now changed.

A group of researchers meticulously reviewed the statistical evidence and their findings are absolutely shocking. These researchers have authored a paper titled “Death by Medicine” that presents compelling evidence that today’s system frequently causes more harm than good.

This fully referenced report shows the number of people having in-hospital, adverse reactions to prescribed drugs to be 2.2 million per year. The number of unnecessary antibiotics prescribed annually for viral infections is 20 million per year. The number of unnecessary medical and surgical procedures performed annually is 7.5 million per year. The number of people exposed to unnecessary hospitalization annually is 8.9 million per year.

The most stunning statistic, however, is that the total number of deaths caused by conventional medicine is an astounding 783,936 per year. It is now evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury in the US. (By contrast, the number of deaths attributable to heart disease in 2001 was 699,697, while the number of deaths attributable to cancer was 553,251.5)
The biggest myth since Santa Claus is that the medical establishment is somehow not like other fields of business, caring more for the customer than their own interests (profits). It would be nice if this were true, and I'd love to still be sending Santa my wish lists this year. But the cold hard reality is, the medical business is "BIG CORPORATE BUSINESS", and corporations care ONLY about their own bottom line profit, with every other consideration simply a variable that either contributes positively or negatively to that bottom line. And what people don't realize is that corporations must operate this way by law (those that are familiar with laws governing corporate behavior know this).

These are the cold hard facts. The Medical Business profits from illness, not wellness, therefore, YOUR best interests (being healthy and free of disease) is in direct opposition to THEIR best interests, yet you trust and rely on them to go against their best interests to keep you healthy? Ha! People with such a childlike mentality are a car salesman's wet dream. But of course, you have no aversion to expecting the car salesman to overcharge you and sell you a bomb that is going to fall apart 2 hours after the warranty expires, right? You automatically expect the auto mechanic to pad his bill and perform or claim to perform unnecessary work, right? You don't consider it wild speculation to believe that a politician lies through his teeth just to get your vote, right? But the medical establishment are made up of a more enlightened group of super humans who care more about you than they do themselves? Right.

The entire medical system is driven and controlled by big Pharmaceutical Corporations who's "medications" kill more people each year than all of the illegal drugs combined, and upon close inspection, most of those drugs have lists of potential side effects that are more serious than the disease they are supposed to treat!! Duh ..... asthma medication whose possible side effects are difficulty in breathing INDEED. What are we? A bunch of retarded idiots?

General practice Doctors have become little more that pharmaceutical drug pushers who's poisons kill more people than the dastardly CRACK COCAINE DEALER ... he just wears a white coat with a fancy diploma hanging from the wall, but is no less dangerous to your health, and as the statistics would indicate, more dangerous.

And those government agencies like the FDA, CDC, and EPA who's charter has been to safeguard the public health from environmental, pharmaceutical, food and water threats have long since abandoned that duty, as they too are a part of the machine that feeds itself, and the food is you and me.

What is not well understood is how "compartmentalized" the entire system has become ... and it's not just the fault of the Doctors out there (though many are contributing either unwittingly or willfully).

From the dangerous pharmaceutical drugs, to the plethora of chemicals and poisons in the food we eat, to the water we drink, and the fouled air we breath ... to the environmental toxins ... the public health is under attack by the same corporations offering the cures. That's right, all of those toxic substances are created by the same boys who create the "medicines" (which are toxic substances).

Is everyone in on this giant conspiracy to which they participate? No. But more and more people are waking up, realizing, and alerting the public to the adverse health affects of fluoride in the water ... chemicals and artificial additives in the food ... mercury and viruses in the vaccines ... the dangers of Genetically Modified Foods ... all of which has resulted in the explosions of disease today, and the general unhealthiness of the public. Of course, many claim this is just a big "Conspiracy Theory", but regardless of such tactics to obfuscate the issues, the science is clear ... mercury is NOT good for your brain!

The rising costs of healthcare is just the LOGICAL OUTCOME of a system that is fundamentally structured to achieve that exact result, and there is no way to continue to dismiss that assessment honestly.

Suffice it to say that we really do have MAJOR issues to deal with, though the costs of medical treatment and who pays is a total diversion from the real issues that demand our undivided attention, while receiving very little.

We've got the cart put before the horse .. and we need to WAKE UP and face reality.

Or, you can just add healthcare insurance to Santa's list this december and hope for the best.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
If everyone is forced to buy insurance then the cost is not going to come down. All you do is force insurance companies to pay out more. That means premiums are going to go up. Health care is still going to cost the same. You are just forcing someone besides the patient to pay for it.

And how do you know I didn't feel the increases in insurance premiums? Please don't tell me garbage like that.

How do I propose it to be accomplished? I said disease can be prevented and/or cured by diet and lifestlye changes. I suggest that people change their diets and lifestyles.

Don't care if you could find it or not. In 1986 Ronald Reagan signed into law that a person cannot be denied medical care in the U.S. because of a lack of funds on the patients part. Legal status of said patient does not matter. Don't believe me? I don't care.

Calll your doctor and ask him.
So,diet and lifesrtyle changes can cure mental illness? Let me tell my patients. No diet or lifestyle changes can stop mental illness,your are in essence born with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies