Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:04 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times

Advertisements

Obama does what he believes his God tells him to do, just like Bush:
Obama appeared at ease in the southern California megachurch, a setting that played to his comfort level with openly discussing his faith. He quoted a Biblical proverb and spoke at length about his faith as a “source of strength and sustenance on a daily basis.”

“I know that I don’t walk alone, and I know that if I can get myself out of the way, that I can maybe carry out in some small way what He intends,” Obama said.

Link

Obama said "Kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side of Chicago, I felt I heard God's spirit beckoning me..."

[Audacity of Hope, p.208, Chicago Sun Times, 4/5/04; AP 6/28/06] Link

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
"President Obama is a committed Christian, and his faith is an important part of his daily life," the statement read. "He prays every day, he seeks a small circle of Christian pastors to give him spiritual advice and counseling, he even receives a daily devotional that he uses each morning. The president's Christian faith is a part of who he is, but not a part of what the public or the media is focused on everyday.

I can't wait to hear from all of the Christian Haters here about what they think of Obama's Christianity, I have a feeling the rhetoric will not be forthcoming or will be markedly tamed down.
What a coincidence... I wrote a blog on religious tolerance earlier this afternoon. And towards the end is a response from Thomas Jefferson to Benjamin Rush in 1800 who had warned him of attack from Christian fundamentalists on his personal (religious) beliefs. Thomas Jefferson was seen as an infidel by his enemies during the election for President. To quote (and this text is inscribed at Jefferson Memorial in Washington DC):

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every from of tyranny over the mind of man. When they see the word "God" many Christians see this as "proof" of his Christianity without thinking that "God" can have many definitions ranging from nature to supernatural. Yet how many of them realize that this passage aimed at attacking the tyranny of the Christian clergy of Philadelphia, or that Jefferson's God was not the personal god of Christianity?"

Personal beliefs must be separated, and this is needed nowhere more than the highest office. Obama's capacity to do that, however, fuels the conservative fervor. On one side, 18%, truly the idiots by any definition, believe that he is a Muslim, at the very next opportunity they will whine about his taste for $100/lb ham . Did I say they are truly idiots?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Obama does what he believes his God tells him to do, just like Bush:
This must be his twin brother then

YouTube - Obama's Muslim Faith

Old 08-19-2010, 04:12 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
"President Obama is a committed Christian, and his faith is an important part of his daily life," the statement read. "He prays every day, he seeks a small circle of Christian pastors to give him spiritual advice and counseling, he even receives a daily devotional that he uses each morning. The president's Christian faith is a part of who he is, but not a part of what the public or the media is focused on everyday.

I can't wait to hear from all of the Christian Haters here about what they think of Obama's Christianity, I have a feeling the rhetoric will not be forthcoming or will be markedly tamed down.

His actions and policies just simply don't reflect that. I'm sorry.

The first thing he did upon entering office was to expand abortion rights and money we give to the UN for them.

He sat for 20 years under a racist pastor in a church that was more concerned about being black than Christian.

He has yet to find a Church after 18 months in the White House.

He has repeatedly spoken well of islam and observed their events like Ramadan, while ignoring the National Day of Prayer.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
His actions and policies just simply don't reflect that. I'm sorry.

The first thing he did upon entering office was to expand abortion rights and money we give to the UN for them.

He sat for 20 years under a racist pastor in a church that was more concerned about being black than Christian.

He has yet to find a Church after 18 months in the White House.

He has repeatedly spoken well of islam and observed their events like Ramadan, while ignoring the National Day of Prayer.
1- Personal rights.
2- I'm sure that church would disqualify you as a Christian. As it is, it is politics within the religion that has gone on for as long as the religion itself (also true with Islam, BTW), and is killing it, one cell at a time.
3- What is your problem with it? Christians are expected to walk the path Christ practiced. Did Jesus go to a building to connect with God? Where did He go? And, no, he didn't trust "buildings" or "priests" unlike the Christians that want to define "Christianity" these days.

Do you think Jefferson was a Christian? Unlikely.

"You say you are a Calvinist. I am not. I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know." - Thomas Jefferson, 1819

Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Does it really matter what religion he practices, if any?

It matters if the only reason he professes any faith is for political gain.

What Did Obama Do As A Community Organizer? - Article - National Review Online

I'm not the one who judges the intentions of the heart, but his interest in attending church seems directly connected to his political ambitions.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 AM

323 posts, read 503,075 times
Didn't his close relationship to Jeremiah Wright establish that he's into the Marxist-inspired black liberation theology a very long time ago?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:19 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:

Frankly I don't give a damn what religion he is. He's an American and he has the right to worship as he pleases or not at all.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:25 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
"...President Obama is a committed Christian..."
So committed that how many times has he gone to church since he became president?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:59 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
This must be his twin brother then

YouTube - Obama's Muslim Faith
I love how nobody can or has tried to refute this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies