Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what about the millions of AA that have moved on up? are they playing the white privilege card? or are they playing the hard work focus stay in school and out of jail & in church, like al sharpton says in "take back our freedom rally" pull your pants up and put your gun down .
Most black americans want a job, want to live in a decent area, and raise their children to be productive citizens. In terms of the white privilege card, if you aren't white, we all know who it applies. And I leave at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good luck, but I don't think the two-party system is going away anytime soon. If most Americans were truly unhappy with Democrats and Republicans, they wouldn't vote for them.
I agree with you. But look at what the Tea Pary has done in regard to holding both parties accountable.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:05 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
I've always wondered if a party similar to the Christian Democratic Union in Germany could gain any traction in the US. I'm not a Christian but I agree with most of their general platform.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:04 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
I would like to think the two parties are different. But then I see the Republicans afraid to make substantial spending cuts. When they raise the debt ceiling (which they will) I will be disgusted with the GOP even if I am a registered Republican. It's getting to the point where only tea party candidates appeal to me. Establishment Republicans are very similar to Democrats.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I would like to think the two parties are different. But then I see the Republicans afraid to make substantial spending cuts. When they raise the debt ceiling (which they will) I will be disgusted with the GOP even if I am a registered Republican. It's getting to the point where only tea party candidates appeal to me. Establishment Republicans are very similar to Democrats.
You make a good point, and it just seems to me that both parties just care about what their party's main agenda is, which is to gain control of senate and the house.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:56 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I agree that the line between is certainly blurred. It's funny that most people (at least on this board) seem to think the parties are drastically different but they aren't. One side is just as bad (or good depending on point of view) as the other. The deficits weren't all Obama's fault. Republicans are just as much to blame. If it isn't healthcare, it's defense spending.

I still consider myself to be a moderate liberal but I am not an African American so I can't relate to your experience. I have no problem voting for who I feel is the best person for the job so in that sense, I'm not blindly loyal to Democrats. Why should I be? They aren't loyal to me. I voted for Obama in '08 and if I wasn't satisfied with the job he was doing or if I feel there's a better person for the job in '12, I have no problem voting against him.
No i have been saying for some time now, both parties are pretty much the same, but a different book cover!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Yes we have to pick one, if you want to be part of the voting system. But both parties in my humble opinion, have left us a long long time ago. We bicker and we argue over the two party system we now have in place, but how much different are they really! Does either one care a damn about us little people, do they not spend, while they both preach to us, we need to tighten our belts. Does either one really care about the terrible problem we face with immigration, and it is getting so bad and out of control, does either one care about this problem. Thank goodness some people really do wake up. It is quite refreshing for a change, thank you for your post.

Ever since Obama become President, it does appear on the outside looking in that the two parties are at it more then ever. I truly do really hate the bickering, on both sides, and wish they would put their thick heads together, and do something good for our economy. Thank goodness some people have truly seen the light!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Independently support Democrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I am a black man who left the Democratic Party simply because after turning 40 years old three years ago, I woke the heck up. I am now a registered American Independent, and no I am not a Republican on the DL--I still have compassion for my fellow man. But I just think that the Democrats and the Republicans are too busy fighting over issues that will eventually lead the once great USA further in the hole, if both parties don't tackle this economy problem head on.

In my humble opinion, the Democratic party has failed African Americans over and over, and yet many of my fellow people think that the Democratic Party has our best interest. All I have seen is the same old same old bull jive from them. Personal responsibility seems to be only for those who happen to be white, priviledged, and rich. If you are black and poor, we get a pass for dropping out of school, having kids that we can't afford to raise, and be allowed to use the race card when it benefits us as a race.

Democrats keep making promises that they can't keep, and when a racial matter occurs, then we see the Jesse Jacksons, Al Sharptons, and Maxine Waters coming out of their caves to fight for the racial injustices that seem to only benefit them rather than the so called black victims of those crimes.

Republicans will fight to defend the constitution, family values, religious freedom, support the military at any cost, and blame the Democrats for big government and huge deficits. But, on that same note they are not too concerned about having huge deficits to fund our military, and justify it by saying how the government's role is strictly to have a strong military to protect our borders according to the Constitution. They seem not so willing to support our country's future by having the same spending philosophy for educating our citizens because that would make government too big.

I see both parties pretty much the same now. Basically each party has spent us into an inevitable economic collapse, both parties won't accept responsibility for getting us in this huge deficit, but the finger pointing keeps going on, and the back and forth blame game is all that each party has been able to show the average American voter, who simply want to support his or her family, and be able to retire with dignity.
I'm an Independent as well, but the 800 lb gorilla in the room is white discrimination against black people in this country. It is this country's ultimate "thorn-in-the-neck." Certainly there are some black people who don't take responsibility, embrace education, family, and so forth. But there is still an incredible amount of racism and bias that negatively impacts blacks, and this plays a key role in continuing to deny opportunities to even those who work hard to qualify themselves.

On this very critical issue of racial discrimination, Republicans are clearly in the inferior position and are perpetually in the wrong. They count among their constituents the most bigoted segment of our society. Die-hard segregationalists prefer the Republican party. Republicans like to pretend that racial discrimination no longer exists, even while they practice it as a matter of course. They also like to pretend it no longer exists to deny opportunities for blacks so they can oppose any mechanism to right these wrongs to promote equal opportunity. Republicans think that the black family is disintegrating because of the poor, disadvantaged segment they focus on. Republicans oppose a black man who happens to be our president, a man who is everything that Republicans claim they wish blacks were. Quite sad that group.

Any candidate who has the best chance to get those Republicans out of office, so this country can make progress on this key issue, is the preferred candidate. In this day and age, that candidate is likely to be a Democrat. So, I am one Independent who is anti-Republican, supporting those Democrats who can get those Regressives out of the way.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I'm an Independent as well, but the 800 lb gorilla in the room is white discrimination against black people in this country. It is this country's ultimate "thorn-in-the-neck." Certainly there are some black people who don't take responsibility, embrace education, family, and so forth. But there is still an incredible amount of racism and bias that negatively impacts blacks, and this plays a key role in continuing to deny opportunities to even those who work hard to qualify themselves.

On this very critical issue of racial discrimination, Republicans are clearly in the inferior position and are perpetually in the wrong. They count among their constituents the most bigoted segment of our society. Die-hard segregationalists prefer the Republican party. Republicans like to pretend that racial discrimination no longer exists, even while they practice it as a matter of course. They also like to pretend it no longer exists to deny opportunities for blacks so they can oppose any mechanism to right these wrongs to promote equal opportunity. Republicans think that the black family is disintegrating because of the poor, disadvantaged segment they focus on. Republicans oppose a black man who happens to be our president, a man who is everything that Republicans claim they wish blacks were. Quite sad that group.

Any candidate who has the best chance to get those Republicans out of office, so this country can make progress on this key issue, is the preferred candidate. In this day and age, that candidate is likely to be a Democrat. So, I am one Independent who is anti-Republican, supporting those Democrats who can get those Regressives out of the way.

There is a painfully obvious flaw in your argument. If you really believe these, why are you an Independent?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:23 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
You make a good point, and it just seems to me that both parties just care about what their party's main agenda is, which is to gain control of senate and the house.
That would explain why Karl Rove was pushing for Mike Castle for Senate. To the Republican establishment they dont care about ideology, it's all about numbers and winning seats, not making any type of change. Same thing with Democrats trying to get blue dogs elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies