Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times

Advertisements

Recent study: "card-check" bill aka "Employee Free Choice Act" (EFCA), will kill 600K jobs 1st year LANGER: True cost of the union label - Washington Times (http://tinyurl.com/2dfgpa5 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 02:44 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
Unions kill jobs. Just look at the union-heavy areas of the country for their success.

Michigan, Northern Ohio, Upstate NY, Western PA, California. I live in a union heavy area, and while most point out the factory jobs that leave, few remark the fact that corporate headquarters leave too. Employers would rather pay a fair wage, but actually be the boss of their employees, and not be forced to keep on deadweight. At this point, there is no argument that the union is only beneficial to laziest in society, as labor laws are much stronger than they were in the days when unions were actually a very big necessity.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
You're citing the Moonies?

Good grief.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You're citing the Moonies?

Good grief.
How about you reading this article from a LIBERAL source written by a LIBERAL author? I will save you time by telling you that page 2 of the article lists the pros and cons of the "bill" and why many don't want it. If you have to have a link about members of the laboring class who are against this thing I guess I will provide it after you show me that you read the article.

Employee Free Choice Act Pros & Cons - The Employee Free Choice Act of 2009

Old 09-05-2010, 03:35 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
Hey, I just thought about this: Why don't they extend Card Check to all elections. This way the Black Panthers can watch you vote, and if you vote the wrong way it'll be alot simpler for them to justify taking Whitey to the field and shooting him in the back of the head.

Well, in a law-abiding nation the Black Panthers would go to prison, but in Obama's Amerika all charges will be dropped by Eric Holder.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Hmmmm. It's easy to see what's on your mind SouthBound but that's not the topic of discussion. I'm sure there are a few threads more germane to your line of thought. Thanks to a union, new police officers in NYC, arguably one of the more difficult areas to be a law enforcement agent, will start at the grand salary of 25K/yr. This was done so that senior tiers could get a pay raise and keep other perks. Overall though, unions or no, the U.S. labor force is softening up and ready for exploitation. Never mind the fact that, unions or no, wages of American workers have not risen with inflation and actually represent 1970's wages as to their actual buying potential. Americans have used home equity and credit card leverage to fill the gaps between what their 1970's wages can buy and what a 21st Century American needs to live at a middle class standard. An entire race of Americans has been doubly burned by the race/class war that has been waged by the elites against the lower classes. With nowhere left to go in profit extraction from that workforce, work has begun in earnest to extract wealth from what is still called the middle class... the white middle class. Now we are beginning to hear the hue and cry of the unemployed and the underemployed... ~10% and all the sharp knives are positing that it is because of unions or big government or universal health care. Hmmmm, the first two have existed for decades and the third is not yet a reality. Unemployment in certain sectors of Amerikkka have been 24% for decades and those Americans have done what they had to do to keep living... or not, but without the rallies in Washington or the formation of fringe party affiliations. How's that working? Real peasants have known for a long time that time spent picketing wasn't going to do much come dinnertime.

Welcome to the jungle. Good luck with that blaming the victim thing. We will shortly see if unions indeed are the problem because unions as you knew them and hated them are history. Unemployment will remain high for the rest of this decade and maybe for the decade after that. Maybe after the plague that wipes out half the population of this country and makes labor again a scarce commodity there will be laws that protect wages but I wouldn't bet on it. Even when the population of America was barely over a million there were lockouts and wage freezes to punish workers that dared complain about unfair wages or dangerous working conditions. Unions are mostly responsible for the fact that you can, for the most part, put in a days work, get a days pay and live to do it again the next day. How quickly some of us forget... or more likely, never even knew.

White, middle class Americans are unused to living three families to a single dwelling or having six adults share a single vehicle or doing without a vehicle altogether. They are unused to living without healthcare, universal or not, dental care, lawyers, cable, Internet (a third of Americans don't have Internet... guess which third). I wonder... did Kodak workers have a union? Heads up. Rents which average ~$700 for the average two bedroom in most parts of this country are not going to go down because the average wage of a college degree'd worker may one day fall to as low as ~$12/hr. I can't wait till I am free of this country of literate imbeciles that spout and believe rubbish picked up from FAUX News and other sources. Truly, ignorance is a curse and this once great country is cursed by the culture of ignorance it allowed to foster and become dominant.

H

Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Truly, ignorance is a curse and this once great country is cursed by the culture of ignorance it allowed to foster and become dominant.

H
When you raise the price of something, less of it will be needed to satisfy demand. Card check will raise the price of labor, and jobs will be lost. Period. To expect any other outcome is the true fruit of the culture of ignorance.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hmmmm. It's easy to see what's on your mind SouthBound but that's not the topic of discussion. I'm sure there are a few threads more germane to your line of thought. Thanks to a union, new police officers in NYC, arguably one of the more difficult areas to be a law enforcement agent, will start at the grand salary of 25K/yr. This was done so that senior tiers could get a pay raise and keep other perks. Overall though, unions or no, the U.S. labor force is softening up and ready for exploitation. Never mind the fact that, unions or no, wages of American workers have not risen with inflation and actually represent 1970's wages as to their actual buying potential. Americans have used home equity and credit card leverage to fill the gaps between what their 1970's wages can buy and what a 21st Century American needs to live at a middle class standard. An entire race of Americans has been doubly burned by the race/class war that has been waged by the elites against the lower classes. With nowhere left to go in profit extraction from that workforce, work has begun in earnest to extract wealth from what is still called the middle class... the white middle class. Now we are beginning to hear the hue and cry of the unemployed and the underemployed... ~10% and all the sharp knives are positing that it is because of unions or big government or universal health care. Hmmmm, the first two have existed for decades and the third is not yet a reality. Unemployment in certain sectors of Amerikkka have been 24% for decades and those Americans have done what they had to do to keep living... or not, but without the rallies in Washington or the formation of fringe party affiliations. How's that working? Real peasants have known for a long time that time spent picketing wasn't going to do much come dinnertime.

Welcome to the jungle. Good luck with that blaming the victim thing. We will shortly see if unions indeed are the problem because unions as you knew them and hated them are history. Unemployment will remain high for the rest of this decade and maybe for the decade after that. Maybe after the plague that wipes out half the population of this country and makes labor again a scarce commodity there will be laws that protect wages but I wouldn't bet on it. Even when the population of America was barely over a million there were lockouts and wage freezes to punish workers that dared complain about unfair wages or dangerous working conditions. Unions are mostly responsible for the fact that you can, for the most part, put in a days work, get a days pay and live to do it again the next day. How quickly some of us forget... or more likely, never even knew.

White, middle class Americans are unused to living three families to a single dwelling or having six adults share a single vehicle or doing without a vehicle altogether. They are unused to living without healthcare, universal or not, dental care, lawyers, cable, Internet (a third of Americans don't have Internet... guess which third). I wonder... did Kodak workers have a union? Heads up. Rents which average ~$700 for the average two bedroom in most parts of this country are not going to go down because the average wage of a college degree'd worker may one day fall to as low as ~$12/hr. I can't wait till I am free of this country of literate imbeciles that spout and believe rubbish picked up from FAUX News and other sources. Truly, ignorance is a curse and this once great country is cursed by the culture of ignorance it allowed to foster and become dominant.

H
Can you prove that the ex-head man at SEIU, Andy Stern, did not say any of these things? If you can then there is a chance that maybe the unions just aren't trying to do the things they want to do with "card check".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSllsTLkBsw

Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
When you raise the price of something, less of it will be needed to satisfy demand. Card check will raise the price of labor, and jobs will be lost. Period. To expect any other outcome is the true fruit of the culture of ignorance.
There are ~44,000 minutes in a month and for decades and into the present time cell phone companies charge individuals upwards of $30/mo to use just 300 of them for personal communication and convince them that its a screaming deal. How? By price fixing. Even the renegade all you can eat providers are unifying around a fixed price for service and consumers either take it or leave it. Mostly they take it because the public communications infrastructure has been essentially dismantled. So, you are telling me that if workers unite and seek compensation comensurate with the financial depth of their employers there will be less of them hired? Uhh, no. What happens in the present day is that their jobs are often outsourced to lower cost sources of labor. What if that weren't allowed to happen?

I see all kinds of colors besides red when someone who otherwise appears fully mentally competent starts defending Fortune 500 companies that are clearing billions in revenue and paying the executive branch in the tens of millions a year and balk at allowing worker salaries to reflect the inexorable ravages of inflation. Is it reasonable that a worker at a company like Caterpillar should make the same as a worker at Hyundai? Is it reasonable that a waiter at Elaines or Tavern on the Green in NYC should make the same as a counterperson at Joe's Diner or Mike's Place, both in Pendleton, OR? If it's ignorant to imagine that workers at highly successful, even niche, industries should labor under no collective bargain protection for their working conditions or wages then I'm an angry idiot. Maybe I should be sterilized... sorry, that's another thread... ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies