Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 PM

449 posts, read 934,701 times

Advertisements

With all the bashing I see in this forum, is there anything for which white Christians deserve our gratitude?

I would like to start by thanking them for creating this great Country of ours in which we have the freedom to express ourselves.

I would like to thank them for inventing the idea that all men are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights.

I would like to thank them for building a truly exceptional Nation that has done more to advance the cause of freedom and democracy than any other.

I would like to thank them for ending slavery even though it existed since the dawn of man.

I would like to thank them for inviting my family to immigrate into their great nation and for giving us equal rights - something they are not obligated to do and something few others will.

I would like to thank them for giving my people safe haven in the face of near extinction and for providing opportunity for us to realize the dream they invented.

I'm sure there are so many more things we should all be thanking them for and I hope every poster adds to this list. It is easy to complain that we are in some way denied the rights conceived of by the white Christians that were our founding fathers. But while lodging our complaints, let us not forget that these great men were under no obligation what so ever to extend these rights to others. The Framers could have just as easily worded the Constitution so that only their own kind would have rights as is the case in nearly every other country.

Even the concept of equality is something that was unique to the American experiment. So, when you complain of inequality, be mindful of the fact that it is only by the grace of there white Christians that you even have ground upon which to stand. Also, be mindful of the fact that you could be, if not for their grace, back in your country of origin. Something tells me few of us would rather be somewhere in Africa where genital mutilation takes place or some Muslim nation where one might be stoned for fornication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 02:17 PM

646 posts, read 394,075 times
a couple problems with this statement. thomas jefferson was a deist, not a christian, and I'm pretty sure abraham lincoln was an atheist, or at least an agnostic. quite a few of our founding fathers were nowhere near christians.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Sure, white Christians have done a lot of good things, but I don't need religion to tell me how to treat people well.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub View Post
With all the bashing I see in this forum, is there anything for which white Christians deserve our gratitude?
You see this is the problem with the sort of thinking.

"I would like to start by thanking them for creating this great Country of ours in which we have the freedom to express ourselves."

But ya see, white Christian men didn't do it alone. From the Boston massacre to Yorktown persons of African and indigenous origins fought and died to help create the country that you speak of. They may not have been allowed a seat at the table to write the Declaration of Independence or the Articles of Confederation, but their blood was written large in both documents.

"I would like to thank them for inventing the idea that all men are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights."

If all men are endowed by their creator with inalienable rights, would it not logically follow that man be he white or otherwise, could not have invented such an idea? Either these rights were give by the creator, and thus all men would have known of them, or it is as you suggest a purely an invention of man alone?

"I would like to thank them for building a truly exceptional Nation that has done more to advance the cause of freedom and democracy than any other."

And which as done about as equally an exceptional job at thwarting it as well. Shall we go through the number of coups and destabilization of democratically elected governments the U.S. has been involved in over the years?

"I would like to thank them for ending slavery even though it existed since the dawn of man."

Well, long after they profited from it and only at gun point. Of course some nations and societies never practiced slavery so I'm not sure about the greatness of that achievement.

"I would like to thank them for inviting my family to immigrate into their great nation and for giving us equal rights - something they are not obligated to do and something few others will."

Well depending on when your family immigrated they have a few more folks to thank than just white folks.

"I would like to thank them for giving my people safe haven in the face of near extinction and for providing opportunity for us to realize the dream they invented."

See above.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Neither the quality of being white or non-white nor of being Christian or non-Christian has anything to do with anyone's having either done or not done anything we might think to thank them for today. You might as well start a thread about the gratitude we all owe to Left-handed Libra's....

Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sure, white Christians have done a lot of good things, but I don't need religion to tell me how to treat people well.
Hmmm... Has religion (from any time in your life) influenced you to treat people well in any way?

Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Please, give me a friggin break. White Christians in this country have it so easy in this country. It's ridiculous you'd even make a thread like this. I don't shed one tear for the poor white christians who feel like they're being persecuted or "underappreciated" pft. They don't experience 1/100th the persecution that blacks, hispanics, immigrants, disabled or gays experience.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Oct. 25. 1765, a group of Philadelphia merchants gathered in the State House to sign the non-importation agreement to fight the hated Stamp Tax of the British government. The first man to step forward to sign his name was the president of Mikve Israel Congregation, Philadelphia's only synagogue, Mathias Bush.

In the front ranks of the smoke and fire of battle was Aaron Solomon standing shoulder to shoulder with his Christian comrades of the Gloucester volunteers. Eight hundred miles to the South the British were stirring up the Cherokee Indians to attack and kill settlers on the South Carolina/Georgia frontiers.

Francis Salvador, a Jew of Sephardic heritage, the first Jew to be elected to a Colonial constituent assembly rode out to carry the alarm and raise the volunteers to repel the impending Indians attacks. He returned at the head of a force of frontiersmen only to be ambushed, shot down and scalped, July 1, 1776. Salvador had the dubious honor of being the first American Jew to give his life for his adopted country.

A few days later in Philadelphia, July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was written. A copy was sent to Amsterdam via the small Dutch Caribbean Island of St. Eustatius. The Declaration was intercepted by the British at sea. An accompanying letter with the Declaration of Independence was also intercepted and sent to London as being a secret code about the document that needed to be deciphered - the letter was written in Yiddish.

It is so wrong to give one group or sect full credit. That is the problem with the Christian revision of history. Your post does nothing for your cause...on the contrary.

...and BTW...I'm sure Native Americans will have their own take on which religious group did the most for the country.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:25 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,306 times
Default Appreciating white Christians.

Are there any examples of any group in history that has taken over a country by force or design that HASN'T brought their religion into that country?

Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Are the Republicans dreaming of a white christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies