Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:50 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,707,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Meanwhile, I can't count on one hand, all the pics in the last year, of her own husband, stuffing his face with grease-dripping burgers, ice cream, fat-laden hot dogs....etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Would you know where he got those burgers? They looked delicious!

Ans I will defend to the death his right to eat them! Pass the salt ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
That's okay though. We can all pay the price of letting people get sicker and fatter as years go by, especially never knowing what goes into their food... They are signing their own death warrant through stupidity, while everyone else pays the bill.
Are you saying that Obama is among them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 05:51 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Please point out where anyone told you that it is unhealthy to eat any salt and therefore it will be illegal to purchase it unless it is on the black market. Thank you.

The current recommendation is to consume less than 2,400 milligrams (mg) of sodium a day. This is about 1 teaspoon of table salt per day. It includes ALL salt and sodium consumed, including sodium used in cooking and at the table.

People with high blood pressure should consume less sodium as recent research has shown that people consuming diets of 1,500 mg of sodium had better blood pressure lowering benefits. These lower-sodium diets also can keep blood pressure from rising and help blood pressure medicines work better.

The American Heart Association recommends that for every 1,000 Calories of food consumed, the sodium intake should be 1,000 mg and should not exceed the 3,000 mg limit.

The average intake in the United States is between 4,000 and 5,000 mg of sodium per day.

Sodium RDA in Diet
Might want to go back and read the discussion we were having. You are walking mid discussion and missing my points.

I will recap for you though.

Your first mention is what I am talking about. Bans and strict regulations as I was discussing with the poster exist because there is danger in a single incident of exposure or such. Those are why those exist.

My point is, past promoting healthy eating, that is as far as ANY government or person has the right to legislate. Sodium will not kill anyone outright and the issues you are bringing up are due to people not being responsible for themselves. The fact that they are not is not your responsibility or mine and you have no right to demand everyone conform to your demand of what they eat, drink, or how often they choose to. Its not your business.

My issue is not that they will ban salt (though you might want to read up on that, there have already been a few idiots in government ignorantly suggesting such), rather that they are dictating to people how much they should or should not intake.

Also, some people are not as sensitive to sodium as others are. Some people are such and tend to have it effect them more which leads to water retention and the like resulting in a harder effect on the body. Some do not have this problem, so there is no "one size fits all" solution to it. Even if there were, all that can be done is to "promote" what is believed to be healthy.

Going out and dictating to restaurants, manufactures, etc... that they can only use so much or have to meet a requirement is not the governments business.

People are the ones responsible here. They are the ones who have to pay attention to their intake. That means, they need to read the boxes, understand the effect of things on them and moderate their intake to avoid issues. That is their job, not mine, yours, or the government.

If people demand such, then companies in order to meet such a demand will adjust to serve that. If people do not demand such, then there is nothing you can do about it aside from starting up your own restaurant and product line so you can provide such.

That is the issue.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,141,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
What did the tea party tell you to do or not to do ?
The Tea Party is telling me to hate my fellow citizens and that they are my enemies. The Tea Party members elected so far would deny me certain rights and put their God into my government. Their "solutions" would create chaos, divisiveness, and war. All of which makes their occasional adoption of "Don't Tread On Me" rather ironic.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:21 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,145,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The Tea Party is telling me to hate my fellow citizens and that they are my enemies. The Tea Party members elected so far would deny me certain rights and put their God into my government. Their "solutions" would create chaos, divisiveness, and war. All of which makes their occasional adoption of "Don't Tread On Me" rather ironic.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,380,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Are you saying that Obama is among them?
Just that Michelle has some work to do at home before she invades our kitchens.

But I wouldn't blame BO if he tells her to go jump in the lake.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Complete garbage.

That is a complete mis-truth or an outright lie to promote an agenda.

Seriously, do you really think people are that stupid to believe in what your a spitting out?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,297,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Complete garbage.

That is a complete mis-truth or an outright lie to promote an agenda.

Seriously, do you really think people are that stupid to believe in what your a spitting out?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:12 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,707,849 times
Quote:
Where ever did you get that!? There goes your credibility -- Can you provide sources to support that the TEA party is telling you to hate your fellow citizens, and to support the rest of the nonsense you are spewing.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:39 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,177,663 times
Quote:
Sodium is required for us to live. Without it, we would die. We get sodium through many ways naturally through foods anyway.

How about you state your position rather than making mentions of how I should go read about the issue and then somehow come to the same process of reasoning that you have and mysteriously understand whatever point you may have to make?

You seem to be implying that you know what this is, so please share with us so we can see your position and properly respond to it.
My position: The stuff they use in prepared (and canned) foods that raises the sodium content through the roof (it's not table salt) are literally poisons. As the FDA does indeed regulate the amount of certain things they put in food, they should look closer at the negative health effects of these type preservatives and regulate their use better. They have done this with other preservatives because of the negative health effects.

Quote:
Going out and dictating to restaurants, manufactures, etc... that they can only use so much or have to meet a requirement is not the governments business.
And again: It is the government's business. It has been the government's business. That is why we have the FDA.

Did you complain when they regulated BHT as well? Did you complain when the government regulated the use of lead paints on infant toys? What about the asbestos ban?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
My position: The stuff they use in prepared (and canned) foods that raises the sodium content through the roof (it's not table salt) are literally poisons. As the FDA does indeed regulate the amount of certain things they put in food, they should look closer at the negative health effects of these type preservatives and regulate their use better. They have done this with other preservatives because of the negative health effects.
If they can make their case for such scientifically and not simply based on epidemiological surveys that have no scientific grounds, then you will not hear a complaint from me. Yet if the complain is based on "levels" added, then... this is an issue that the government or any individual has no power over other than to refuse and publicly object to their methods.

Be careful calling things "poison" for few understand the toxicity of many elements and by applying such logic that those of such may make, I can render them inept by removing anything they may attempt to intake as nutrients.

Quote:
And again: It is the government's business. It has been the government's business. That is why we have the FDA.
The business of the FDA is to insure that products as such do not kill people outright or through "normal and moderate" consumption do not receive undue effects from such. Past that, the FDA has no power. To claim the FDA has power to dictate what people eat based on the position that by eating excessively, they may develop problems from such is nothing short of a demand of subservience to whatever eating habit you may hold to. This is not their jurisdiction and should never be.

In cases such as these, to dictate to people is to dictate how they should eat and it is more dangerous to the health of the dictator to make such demands. That is a promise.

Quote:
Did you complain when they regulated BHT as well? Did you complain when the government regulated the use of lead paints on infant toys? What about the asbestos ban?

Most issues of such are contested. When it concerns the effect on humans, the research that proclaims dangers is often based on loose studies to which it can not be confirmed to its position. BHT is one of those things.

I have done a lot of reading on various so called "toxins" and most of their evidence is based on statistical evaluation that wouldn't pass a first year mathematics major evaluation. The issue is politics, and this is where most of these issues lie.

Can YOU prove BHT is harmful? Go ahead, post the research and watch me tear it down based on its assumptions.

So yes, I have a problem with blow hard's who act as if they are concerned about things, but are simply idiots who rely on unfounded and unsupported means to make their case.

If you want to spar concerning such, post the research.

Can you even find such? And when I say research, I mean actual research, not summaries, claims from organizations, but the original research which purports such conclusions.

Can you find them?

I will make a bet that I doubt you can?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies