Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
and you're incredibly jealous of sarah palin. as for michelle being smart and beautiful, I guess you're grading on a very disturbing scale.
I think Jill61's post was meant to be sarcasm. We "libs" (how my friends would laugh at hearing me called that) are constantly being told we're jealous of Sarah Palin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Suggesting cutting back on salt is to help you keep your health care costs down, DUH.
The issue is the suggestion becomes a mandate, the FDA is going after this. The one article I read cited the FDA chief saying regulations of salt contained in pre packaged food in 10 years.

Whether salt is good, bad or neutral is irrelevant, it's the principle that matters and government regulation of something as basic as salt is ridiculous.

10 years from now we'll see regulation of pre packaged foods.
20 years from now salt will no longer be added to anything.
30 years from now you'll need to take out a mortgage to buy salt because of the tax imposed on it.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah, because we all know that the cost is going to go through the roof with the new law. Something has to be done to keep it in check so Obama doesn't look like a smacked ass.
Yes, you should die sooner so Obama will look like a smacked ass.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM

646 posts, read 394,234 times
I don't understand what there is to be jealous of her other than money. and I'm not sure who told you that. it certainly wasn't me. she disturbs me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think Jill61's post was meant to be sarcasm. We "libs" (how my friends would laugh at hearing me called that) are constantly being told we're jealous of Sarah Palin.

7,814 posts, read 6,397,212 times
Why First Ladies are even involved in anything is beyond me. They were not elected.

4,173 posts, read 6,689,554 times
I do not see anything wrong with what MO is doing. First ladies use their position for greater good.

I did not see anyone call Barbara Bush an 'elitist' when she was promoting family literacy.

Last edited by calmdude; 09-14-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,925 times
I think it is truly sad how some people attempt to distort the truth and attempt to make something done with good intentions look like an evil ploy to control the world. She is not trying to ban anything, she is just urging restaurants to serve more health menu choices. There is nothing wrong with that.

From the article in the OP:

Quote:
But Obama would like to see more healthy choices for Americans dining out, even if it means a restaurant deleting a best-selling menu item.
Quote:
The first lady doesn't mind ordinary families eating out on special occasions. But, she claimed, restaurant efforts to reduce calories and fats have been insufficient. And too slow. "We just don't have the time to waste," Mrs. Obama added.
Quote:
She said she understood that healthy meals sell less, which is not a good thing for any business. But she said the problem of obesity is so great, it must be addressed urgently by all means.

She said it's also important to change these national eating habits because they end up costing billions in additional healthcare costs.
What is so bad about this? Nevermind...some of you will cut off your nose to spite your face. If the Laura Bush said it, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Suggesting cutting back on salt is to help you keep your health care costs down, DUH.
and once the feds control health care, a whole lot more changes will be made to what we eat, what we can purchase, how we engage in recreation, and how we live our lives. you know, banning anything beyond 1% milk or 1% beer and 10% scotch, would make us all healthier too.

Whatever happened to the concept of freedom of choice? I thought the libs were all about free choice, its my body.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post

is she making a suggestion, or suggesting a law? that's the real issue here. promoting health is different than mandating it.
See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Did you read all of her remarks? She was speaking to the National Restaurant Association and asking them to provide information on their menus, smaller portions and healthy options. Ohhhhh! The Horror!!!!!!
I know, Michelle Obama is so dictatorial and evil, demanding that restaurants take away our salt. Wait. What? She didn't say any such thing?
"I'm not asking any of you to make drastic changes to every single one of your recipes or to totally change the way you do business. But what I am asking is that you consider reformulating your menu in pragmatic and incremental ways to create healthier versions of the foods that we all love.

"That could mean substituting wheat pasta for white pasta in your regular recipes, or taking out an existing -- taking an existing dish and cutting the amount of butter or cream -- not enough to sacrifice flavor -- we all like flavor -- but just enough to make a meaningful difference in the amount of calories and fat.

"It could mean serving 1 percent or skim milk. Or you could make healthy sides like apple slices or carrots the default choice in a menu and make fries something customers have to request -- which would hurt me deeply. (Laughter.) I'm a fry lover."
OH MY G-D, the B**CH!!!

Remarks by the First Lady in Address to the National Restaurant Association Meeting | The White House
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Ding, ding, ding, ding! And we have a winner of the Detect the Dripping Sarcasm Award!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
and once the feds control health care, a whole lot more changes will be made to what we eat, what we can purchase, how we engage in recreation, and how we live our lives. you know, banning anything beyond 1% milk or 1% beer and 10% scotch, would make us all healthier too.

Whatever happened to the concept of freedom of choice? I thought the libs were all about free choice, its my body.
who made the current crappy rules? who said we could ONLY have salty stuff as a sidedish? every photo I see in every hamburger joint pushes FRENCH FRIES as the main "sidedish"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies