Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:58 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
I have no problems with people affording their kids and scraping by on their own, when the taxpayer is required to give a leg up because the parents can't provide, then those people whould not have kids.
But the kids are already here. What would you suggest? We put them back in utero?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 03:10 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont know much about capital gains and stock profits as i'm just the guy working in the factory, but i do believe the guy at the top should be similarly inconvenienced by taxes as the guy on the bottom..
And what if the guy at the top pays 50%?

And what about the guy that sweeps the floors,he only pay 18%?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
And what if the guy at the top pays 50%?

And what about the guy that sweeps the floors,he only pay 18%?
That wouldnt be fair IMO how bout the guy at the top pays the same % as the guy on the bottom.Lets say 30% of earnings from each.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:40 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That wouldnt be fair IMO how bout the guy at the top pays the same % as the guy on the bottom.Lets say 30% of earnings from each.
What wouldn't be fair,someone paying less than you or someone paying more than you?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:06 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
A lot, if not most, of the GOP supporters desperately want to feel they are among those few the Repubs actually represent. The reality is, they are not, they are looked at just as undeserving as the rest.
Smartest post I've read all day.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Surely, but at the same time, I take umbrage with child tax credits, earned income credit, WICS, child health plus, and the multitude of other taxpayer-funded systems.

I have no problems with people affording their kids and scraping by on their own, when the taxpayer is required to give a leg up because the parents can't provide, then those people whould not have kids.
When you realize how vitally important children are to the future of the nation, then you will understand why our society found it necessary to demand our government reflect their views on the matter.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:18 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
See there is the difference,I am not wealthy,I will never be 'wealthy'(by the standards of our society) but I don't envy those who are.

Some on the other hand do and want to punish those people who they are jealous of.

Jealous and envious of others is no way to go through life.

I also find the idea that these same people support punishing the more successful with higher taxes amusing,that IS based solely upon they have more than me and so should pay...talk about childish.
OK then. Then YOU can go ahead and pay more taxes since you are not as successful as the top 1% of the people in this country.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
How about we just return to the pre-Fed Reserve days and get rid of the income tax, so that way no one is taxed on their labor, like how it was for most of this country's history?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That group pays the most taxes, carries most of the tax burden in the country, uses their money to employ us, pay for our health benefits, and they get nothing in return from the government except they are evil and must pay up even more of what they already shoulder. And they don't qualify for welfare handouts.

Failure of a topic

BULL! The only reason that group "uses their money to employ us" is they profit from our work. Damn bleeding heart NeoConfused

Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, but how about this:

The factory worker pays 30% of his income in taxes, but the owner of the factory only pays 15% of his income in taxes because most of his income comes from capital gains and stock profits.

Is that fair?
An argument can be made that if not for the owner, the employee would earn zero dollars, because he would not have a job. But I understand your point. The current income tax system favors the wealthy who can afford accountants to hide as much income as possible. How much income tax do trust fund babies pay? Playing class envy, just because the owner is playing by the rules, is not going to accomplish anything, we need a new and equitable tax system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies