Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:01 AM

98 posts, read 79,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Apparently. I wouldn't be surprised if someone claims you can use section 8 to buy cars, diamonds, and jets. File that with the, foster parents collect $140,000 a year in welfare fraud.
Yeah, I can just imagine someone going to the bank, applying for a loan and putting "section 8 voucher" as a source of income. There's no way this can possibly be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 02:58 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
well well - who knew?

Quote:
Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the PHA, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.
Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet - HUD

Quote:
If I am currently a participant in the Housing Choice Voucher program and receive rental assistance, can I use my voucher to buy a home and receive monthly assistance in meeting homeownership expenses?
Yes, if your local PHA participates in the homeownership voucher program, and you meet income and other eligibility requirements.
http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/progr...ship/index.cfm

Old 09-25-2010, 07:11 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It has plenty to do with the conversation. I see guys like the OP ALWAYS bellyaching about these Section 8 types, and it's essentially misguided anger. "Pockets of crime" my arse, the bottom line is that these types of threads are created to play judge and jury (complete with anecdotal evidence) so people like you can take out your anger on a group of people you feel are less than yourselves. That's about it.

It's not REALLY about tax money, or the perceived waste of tax money. It's about finding a group of people for you to shyt on and point the finger at. If you were sincerely concerned about tax cheats/welfare mommas you'd look to corporations who do more damage to the everyday lives of American citizens with their loop holes and subsidies.
I couldn't rep you, but are right on target with your assessment of the "anger" over where tax money goes.
  • Paying farmers not to grow
  • Corporate loopholes and tax breaks big enough to drive a Mack truck through
  • Bridge to nowhere
Bring back William Proxmire's Golden Fleece Awards!!
Golden Fleece Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Spoof : The Golden Fleece Awards Restored For Government Waste funny satire story
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/16/na...6proxmire.html

Last edited by SloRoller; 09-25-2010 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Add additional link

Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 PM

220 posts, read 372,103 times
I was talking to my neighbor the other day about Section 8. She is in a unique situation as a former property manager who dealt with Section 8 for landlords for years in AZ and now she is on Section 8 herself.

She says that all states should follow the example of AZ, that some of those manipulating Section 8 can be bumped off the program, permanently, by evictions that take a much shorter time span, and therefore have definite consequences for those who are in the arrears, instead of bureaucracy that drags on for months, undeserving tenants actually living rent-free and in end, landlords out of money owed.

It wouldn't solve all the issues with Section 8; I think that takes a neighborhood watch that isn't afraid to call cops when illegal activity is ongoing, to send a message that the neighborhood has ZERO tolerance for drugs, vagrant friends of tenants sleeping on front lawns, other unacceptable behavior. It isn't easy, but the environment can change the tenants, not the other way around.

If irresponsible Section 8 tenants are aware that in less than a month's time they will be homeless, often losing many or most possessions, the smart will wise up and begin mainstreaming and the others will be off Section 8 to make room for hopefully deserving families, elderly, disabled.

I'm sure I've over-simplified, but forcing tenants to keep their side of the contract, to at least pay rent in full and on time, or lose Section 8 within a month's time, unless the landlord isn't fulfilling their part of contract, seems like good place to start.

Also, I think many landlords are caring people. If it comes to throwing little children out into the street, they don't feel right about that, but I think that is another social issue. If parents can't provide for their children, they should lose all parental rights, esp. if they have been given a few chances to get their act together. Unfortunately, some people shouldn't be parents. If a person is unable to provide the basic needs of children, adequate shelter, good nutrition and hygiene, medical care, adequate clothing, and childcare, that person is a parent by DNA only, and that is far from enough. I see that in my own family. The truth is, good parents, even those w/ESL issues,assisted by society, can provide most of the above. Where my sister lives, there are many immigrants, and the ones I've met are hard-working people who just want more opportunities for their precious children. They don't fit any of the stereotypes I keep reading about in this forum,w/ the exception of allowing too many persons to a living area. That is very typical w/ immigrants, regardless of race. It happens here in HI all the time with Asians, those responsible, education-loving people who are not like THEM, the other type of immigrants.People who have the great disadvantage of not speaking the primary language fluently can only get the very lowest paid jobs, but still have to come up with high rents, grocery bills, etc.The only way to do that is to have many working adults in a smaller, less expensive living area, like it or not. Either Americans are going to have to adjust to a bilingual culture, where Spanish is the second primary language, which is already happening in most populated parts of US, or much stricter immigration laws will need to be passed that immigrants must be fluent in English to be legal. I see little on the horizon making that a reality. Needing to be fluent in two languages, as I've said before, is a good direction for US to take.The rest of the first world nations have educated citizens who are almost always able to carry on a conversation in at least one other language. Why are Americans so anti-intellectual, so resistant to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies