Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,034,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
CNN fires Rick Sanchez fired after calling Jon Stewart a bigot - USATODAY.com

Aren't we all getting a little too sensitive here? Rick Sanchez is entitled to his own opinion and it's not like he made a racial slur against Jon Stewart or something. This is ridiculous.
He should NOT have been fired. If you listen to the interview, he even took back a lot of what he said about Jon Stewart and readily siad that he was a "complex and transparent individual". rush limbaugh has said far worse about blacks and hispanics on his show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 05:37 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,034,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I don't think he got canned for calling Stewart a bigot. He likely got canned because, when it was pointed out that Stewart was himself a minority, he laughed, dismissing the notion that a Jew could be considered an opressed monority or could identify with those that are. He went further, saying that the people who run CNN, and who run many of the other stations, were all people just like Stewart, that they have plenty of power, and that the notion of them being considered an opressed minority was laughable. My favorite line was "I grew up in Miami. Some of my best friends were Jewish."
I find what Rick said to be true. jews are hardly discriminated against in this day and age, and MOST CERTAINLY NOT in the entertainment industry.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:38 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,128,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
He should NOT have been fired. If you listen to the interview, he even took back a lot of what he said about Jon Stewart and readily siad that he was a "complex and transparent individual". rush limbaugh has said far worse about blacks and hispanics on his show.
Of course he should be fired. He said some pretty off the wall things, and then badmouthed his employer.

And the comparison to Limbaugh is completely irrelevant. There is a HUGE difference between a news anchor and a commentator when it comes to ethics and the appearance of impartiality.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,791,988 times
Quote:
Yeah but Limbaugh owns his show. Sanchez is just an employee, big difference.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,351,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You seem to have left of the part where he mocks the idea that Jews are a minority and implies that CNN is run by Jews. If I spoke about my employer on the radio like that, I'd expect to be fired very quickly.

Also, he's a news anchor. They're suppose to portray an image of impartiality. I have a friend who works for a newspaper. The code of ethics there require advanced permission to take a side on an issue and speak out at an HOA meeting.
Sanchez:
Quote:
"I'm telling you that everyone who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority?" Sanchez said, adding a sarcastic "yeah."
"I can't see someone not getting a job these days because they're Jewish," he said.
Maybe Fox will pick him up....

Old 10-01-2010, 05:57 PM

8,000 posts, read 9,207,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Sanchez:
Maybe Fox will pick him up....
More like Univision, that way he can continue droning on about his heritage

Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,903,696 times
I don't know... isn't he liable for slander against Jon Stewart? He said he was a bigot... I think CNN fired him NOT because of Stewart but because he told the world the CNN was run by Jews... I think that was the real reason, they just covered it up with the Stewart line... honestly nobody really cares what you call Stewart, not even CNN... but when you call CNN a bunch of Jews, you got trouble coming...

Old 10-01-2010, 06:00 PM

54 posts, read 56,206 times
He got fired for saying out loud what is an open secret. Jews run the Media. Big no no.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:03 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,937,343 times
Quote:
I find what Rick said to be true. jews are hardly discriminated against in this day and age, and MOST CERTAINLY NOT in the entertainment industry.
Jewish people are openly discriminated against all the time. Not enough to satisfy someone who doesn't like Jews (you, for example); but still, it happens all the time and it's out in the open. Even the backhanded "compliments" they deal with are poorly hidden attacks.

Maybe CNN will replace Sanchez, who once killed a man while driving drunk, with one of those horrible, terrible entertainment industry Jews you can't stand so much who are "guilty" of being Jewish. I hope that's exactly what they do.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:06 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,937,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeToRead View Post
He got fired for saying out loud what is an open secret. Jews run the Media. Big no no.
You must like to read books such as "How to Be a Standup Comic" by that Jewish guy Richard Belzer.

You're really funny, and you did a nice job making me laugh. Thanks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies