Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,461,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

Really? How many are on the supreme court? What religion is the man that just stepped down as White House Chief of Staff?
What in the bloody hell does this have to do with whether or not Jews are routinely discriminated against? That's like claiming blacks aren't discriminated against by pointing out that Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice were both Secretaries of State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

some of the older jews and even the younger ones are about as the most racist ppl that you could ever meet aagainst anyone that does not share their whiteness or near whiteness. I have personal experiences with this. the jews will play that holocaust card when they want sympathy but will forget about their "alliances" with the blacks, hispanics as soon as they have achieved success, the paramount goal ($) in their lives.
Oh, you have personal experience with Jews, so you must be both right and truthful. Pretend the extended digit here is not my thumb:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post

By the way can someone point out to me why its politically correct to say that whites control the majority of the resources and wealth, but pointing out that Jews overwhelmingly dominate the mainstream news and entertainment media is verboten?
Because it's a damn lie, that's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 12:11 AM

11,448 posts, read 14,498,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
CNN fires Rick Sanchez fired after calling Jon Stewart a bigot - USATODAY.com

Aren't we all getting a little too sensitive here? Rick Sanchez is entitled to his own opinion and it's not like he made a racial slur against Jon Stewart or something. This is ridiculous.
It was a stupid thing to say and I think Sanchez is kind of a moron anyway. I don't have an opinion on his dismissal yet though.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:27 AM

37,821 posts, read 41,139,484 times
Who is Rick Sanchez? Before this story broke, I never heard of him. Didn't recognize him from his photo, either.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:41 AM

532 posts, read 1,058,505 times
"The white liberal establishment"? Rick Sanchez is white, albeit a mixed-blooded Mediterranean white, but predominantly white nonetheless. His Castilian ancestors certainly had a higher social status than Jews in sixteenth-century Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
By the way can someone point out to me why its politically correct to say that whites control the majority of the resources and wealth, but pointing out that Jews overwhelmingly dominate the mainstream news and entertainment media is verboten?
"Whites" are in many respects a fictional group, since the category of "whiteness" is among the more artificial social constructs. While "ethnic Jews" are somewhat the same, given the variations between Ashkenazi, Sephardic, and Mizrahi Jews alone, Ashkenazi Jews at least have undergone organized oppression because of the Nazi belief that they represented a racial group as opposed to a religious one. This was a new development from previous conceptions of Jews; even Martin Luther's hateful tract, On the Jews and Their Lies, was only written and published after he had failed to convert Jews to Christianity for decades, and even during the Spanish Inquisition, Sephardic Jews were given the opportunity to become Christians rather than be executed. Adolf Hitler and his allies believed that "Jewishness" was an innate characteristic that could not be altered, and initiated the Final Solution after blaming Jews for causing World War II.

Anyway, the point is that there has essentially never been systematic, institutionalized oppression of "whites" as a group (present-day Zimbabwe might be an exception, but even that is an anti-colonialist reaction). There has been oppression of minority ethnic groups now considered "white," such as Irish, Italians, Germans, various Eastern Europeans, etc., but this was based on their exclusion from the category of "white" at the time, which was dominated (and to some extent, still is), by Anglo-Protestant character, at least in the U.S. So as a result, there has never been the same sensitivity to prejudiced remarks against "whites," because they're usually complaints about their status as the ruling class rather than depiction of them as a parasitic underclass or conspirational fifth column.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:07 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,948,254 times
I wonder what hi$ rating$ were?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:26 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,465,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
"The white liberal establishment"? Rick Sanchez is white, albeit a mixed-blooded Mediterranean white, but predominantly white nonetheless. His Castilian ancestors certainly had a higher social status than Jews in sixteenth-century Spain.
Right, but we're in 21st century America, not 16th century Spain, where someone with the last name "Sanchez" is going to inherently be considered "less American" by some than someone with the last name "Stewart."

Old 10-02-2010, 02:26 AM

956 posts, read 1,116,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
Wow this saddens me as I liked Rick.
Amen, he was one of my favourite news reporters. He leaned slightly left, but always treated his guests with respect. Would be nice if Fox News held it's employees to the same standards.....

Old 10-02-2010, 02:45 AM

38,653 posts, read 26,462,445 times
Quote:
CNN fires Rick Sanchez fired after calling Jon Stewart a bigot - USATODAY.com

Aren't we all getting a little too sensitive here? Rick Sanchez is entitled to his own opinion and it's not like he made a racial slur against Jon Stewart or something. This is ridiculous.

Welcome to Fox News Mr Sanchez.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:21 AM

532 posts, read 1,058,505 times
Quote:
Right, but we're in 21st century America, not 16th century Spain, where someone with the last name "Sanchez" is going to inherently be considered "less American" by some than someone with the last name "Stewart."
He's a white man. If he was known for a character rather than his actual name, as Frankie Nunez is, or for an alias, as Martin and Charlie Sheen are, this wouldn't be challenged. The popular idea that "Hispanic = non-white" is a misconception.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,474,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Obviously, Sanchez's boss doesn't agree with you. Are you saying the government should intervene and make them rehire him?
If the guy is in some kind of broadcasting union i'm sure they'll take up the issue of unfair dismissal.
If he isnt in a union then its bye bye Rick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies