Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times

Advertisements

There are a number of videos on the internet, where people film snakes eating live animals, obviously for their "enjoyment". While this happens in nature, to some degree, though in nature the prey has a chance of surviving, do you think this is free speech, should it be allowed even if the purpose is for the filmer being a sick person who gets off on the torment of helpless animals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 12:39 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Are you seriously asking if recording images of animal cruelty is wrong?

Cruelty to animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you think someone here is going to say "Recording a crime is OK, because recording something is free speech and even if it was murder it would be OK cuz it's a recording."

I have no idea WTH you are talking about.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:59 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Are you seriously asking if recording images of animal cruelty is wrong?

Cruelty to animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you think someone here is going to say "Recording a crime is OK, because recording something is free speech and even if it was murder it would be OK cuz it's a recording."

I have no idea WTH you are talking about.
You telling me you never ate a burger?

[quote] Cruelty to animals is the infliction of suffering or harm upon animals, other than humans, for purposes other than self-defense. More narrowly, it can be harm for specific gain, such as killing animals for food or for their fur.

If this is animal cruelty (killing animals for food) then there are many many people who inflict cruelty to animals everyday, and if you have ever eaten a burger you have helped to fund the cruelty of animals. Video tapping this (turning animals into food) is not akin to filming a murder and having that murder be ok because it was filmed. Here is some info for those who think nothing eats anything living out in the "real world."

Food Chains and Food Webs

Torment of animals happens everyday and unless your vegan, you contribute to it whether you like it or not. Some people find it fascinating to see how it actually happens (hence the videos).

Old 10-02-2010, 01:06 PM

[quote=JohKnip;16119014]You telling me you never ate a burger?

Quote:
Cruelty to animals is the infliction of suffering or harm upon animals, other than humans, for purposes other than self-defense. More narrowly, it can be harm for specific gain, such as killing animals for food or for their fur.

If this is animal cruelty (killing animals for food) then there are many many people who inflict cruelty to animals everyday, and if you have ever eaten a burger you have helped to fund the cruelty of animals. Video tapping this (turning animals into food) is not akin to filming a murder and having that murder be ok because it was filmed. Here is some info for those who think nothing eats anything living out in the "real world."

Food Chains and Food Webs

Torment of animals happens everyday and unless your vegan, you contribute to it whether you like it or not. Some people find it fascinating to see how it actually happens (hence the videos).
Burgers are delicious!

Old 10-02-2010, 01:16 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Burgers are delicious!
I may have misinterpreted your post....If I did sorry. If I did it still serves as an effective response to the OP.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:33 PM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
There are a number of videos on the internet, where people film snakes eating live animals, obviously for their "enjoyment". While this happens in nature, to some degree, though in nature the prey has a chance of surviving, do you think this is free speech, should it be allowed even if the purpose is for the filmer being a sick person who gets off on the torment of helpless animals?
I have kept a couple of thousand snakes as pets over the years as well as lizards and spiders. I have noticed:

A) They much prefer live food as they find it in the wild

B) Purina doen't make Snake Chow or Spider Chow. There may be a reason for this.

C) They are fascinating to watch as they stalk their prey, just as the various animals are who have hunted and killed on various TV shows for years

D) Not a damned one of them I ever knew preferred boiled carrots to fresh prey.

Animals eat other animals and kill them in order to do so. So do humans.

BFD.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have kept a couple of thousand snakes as pets over the years as well as lisards and spiders. I have noteiced:

A) They much prefer live food as they find it in the wild

B) They are fascinating to watch as they stalk their prey, just as the various animals are who have hunted and killed on various TV shows for years.

C) Not a damned one of them I ever knew preferred carrots to fresh prey.

Animals eat other animals and kill them as a result. So do humans. BFD.
is it "nature" to feed a wild animal a domesticated one that would never meet each other in nature?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:43 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
I get where you're coming from. I was looking up information on the arowana fish and discovered videos on YouTube about arowana eating a mouse, arowana eating a duckling, a lizard, a centipede, a bullfrog, even a monkey. These aren't National Geographic specials, these are videos generally filmed by teenagers who get their jollies watching one animal eat another. The videos are disgusting, but do you really want a law banning them? Another freaking law?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I get where you're coming from. I was looking up information on the arowana fish and discovered videos on YouTube about arowana eating a mouse, arowana eating a duckling, a lizard, a centipede, a bullfrog, even a monkey. These aren't National Geographic specials, these are videos generally filmed by teenagers who get their jollies watching one animal eat another. The videos are disgusting, but do you really want a law banning them? Another freaking law?
I left comments on these videos, telling the people they are nuts, and get off on this, and the responses are "I will lynch you". I have a feeling these people are potential serial killers... Serial killers all pretty much abuse animals.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
is it "nature" to feed a wild animal a domesticated one that would never meet each other in nature?
Dude, it's wrong. There you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies