Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree?
Totally agree 25 40.32%
Agree for the most part 18 29.03%
Disagree for the most part 10 16.13%
Totally Disagree 4 6.45%
Don't care 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times

Advertisements

I hate the term assimilation, which always seems to translate to "be more like the white people."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The problems with some segments of Black American culture are undeniable but they do no encompass the full spectrum of Black America. The people that are practicing behaviors and lifestyles that are inherently pathological are going to have to sort out these problems for themselves. That won't change until they are motivated on a personal level to change.

America at large has shown a measure of disdain ranging from at the least bias and at the worst outright hatred towards Black Americans and in particularly poor Black Americans. For the most part they are not wanted or accepted by mainstream American culture and they know it. Part of the reason for the pathological behaviors you see is the rejection of a mainstream culture that really doesn't care about them, understand them or accept them. I don't see any chances of assimilation in the near to intermediate term.
Well, like I said, the first step is to recognize and accept the problem. Some do recognize and address the problem. Cosby and Juan Williams have, to name two. And they are often labeled "sell-outs" for it. But you are right in that being accepted into mainstream culture is a two-way street. The larger culture does not understand, care, or accept many "urban" blacks, as you have said. It's a circular thing. But it probably will not be the larger culture that will radically alter its overall, basic ideology to better accomodate the minority.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:27 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I hate the term assimilation, which always seems to translate to "be more like the white people."
Well, it's unfortunate that you would take it as racial and that "being more like white people" is somehow a negative. But if it makes you feel any better, when minorities assmiliate into the larger culture, the larger culture becomes a bit more like the minorities, which, by the way, doesn't bother me, a white guy, one iota.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, it's unfortunate that you would take it as racial and that "being more like white people" is somehow a negative. But if it makes you feel any better, when minorities assmiliate into the larger culture, the larger culture becomes a bit more like the minorities, which, by the way, doesn't bother me, a white guy, one iota.
There is the notion that white people are a bit cold and lack soul, not to mention of course that they are considered the oppressors...
I like the term blue-eyed soul, which indicates that surprisingly there are a couple of whites that also have soul Funny to read Youtube comments on some Bobby Caldwell videos

Old 10-13-2010, 01:29 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Um, yeah, that's right. Liberalism looks more appealing on the surface. But as people get older, they tend to get more conservative...because some of us wise up after we've hurt ourselves & others with the liberal philosophy.

BTW, I'm not saying extreme conservatism can't hurt people, too. But I lean conservative because it fundamentally emphasizes things like self discipline & self-control, whereas liberalism says those things are too difficult or not worthwhile.
I don't recall asking which way you lean? And it has nothing to do with wisdom, I know many young people who are smarter than those seniors at Tea Party rallies. People become conservative relative to the rate that things around them are changing. ex) civil rights, gay marriage, desegregation.....

Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
that may be true, but you are fooling yourself if you think America's youth are "liberal" Moderats? maybe, but not liberal. How many young people are (still) in love with Obama? Wow! That relationship lasted as long as a hollywood marriage
Todays youth are now starting to see the big picture. The youth will vote, and its not all going to be for the dems.
to be continued Nov 3rd...
And thank goodness for this.
I agree some were fooled for about a minute by Obama and his empty promises. I actually felt sorry for some at the time of his inauguration with all the hoopla because they really believed he would affect change in a positive way.
The ones I'm really concerned about are the ones who don't understand this yet.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
I don't recall asking which way you lean? And it has nothing to do with wisdom, I know many young people who are smarter than those seniors at Tea Party rallies. People become conservative relative to the rate that things around them are changing. ex) civil rights, gay marriage, desegregation.....
Well, you didn't ask (and neither did anyone else ), but I have to say that I don't think I'm any more conservative now than I was at age 20 - in fact, I'm probably even more liberal now than I was then.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
As a broad response, I commend you for being involved and thinking about these important questions. I also commend you for being cautious in your acceptance of what Fox News tells you. As an addition, I would encourage you to apply that same critical lens to any source of information, including your teachers. Hear what they say, find out more, and create your own opinion.

Last edited by Rggr; 10-13-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 02:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
My name is Aaron and I am a high school student living in St. Louis, Missouri and I just want to share my views and opinions on some issues in America.....
Look! It's a unicorn!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,594,065 times
WOW! I'm in awe about the feedback. Thanks for taking time to see what I think.
Right now I just wanna address some concerns and points brought up.

-Actually I do recognize that MSNBC is quite bias too, but in no way are they as radically extreme as Fox News. FACT!

-Obviously Fox News doesn't literally scare me, I was just exaggerating to stress a point that I firmly believe in.

-Yes can't wait for college in two years!!

-Actually I try to be VERY open-minded.

-I state my race because I found that to be relevant in a thread regarding social views including race. Literally nothing evil or racist behind it.

-ovcatto & booya: Haha some people on this forum will dissect ANYTHING and manipulate it a certain way. Anyway, I'm a teenager living in an urban area. I see hundreds of black people everyday and yes, I STEREOTYPE (gasp), based on obvious consistencies that I can't help but notice.

Thanks guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies