Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree?
Totally agree 25 40.32%
Agree for the most part 18 29.03%
Disagree for the most part 10 16.13%
Totally Disagree 4 6.45%
Don't care 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,594,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Hey sanrene haven't you realized they feed off the propaganda, it is their life blood.
Dude nice input!

Only an idiot could say that guys like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are even remotely reasonable.

People on MSNBC like Olberman and Maddow are obviously bias towards liberal and democratic views, but they are less insensible about it. FACT! And yes I have bias but it doesn't come close to blinding me, I just use common sense and obvious truths.

Seriously it amazes me how much some people on this forum dissect and twist every little thing some opposing viewpoint says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 05:13 PM

11,270 posts, read 11,032,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Seriously it amazes me how much some people on this forum dissect and twist every little thing some opposing viewpoint says.
You do understand that the topic of politics is a battlefield, yes? Your thread is genuine, and I must say I think you are infinitely more thoughtful than the average teenager. Kudos to you.

As far as the issues go, I am against the prospect of gay marriage and do believe that while FOX news is obviously biased, it really is the only conservative source for news amongst a sea of liberal garbage.

On all the other issues you brought up, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Racism is a tough one, though. Everybody is racist to some extent. And even though they might not think they are, others will always think different.

There are no shortage of opinions on the politics forum, so you are getting what you asked for. Just realize that not everything you are fed in school is unbiased. American schools at ALL levels lean heavily liberal. As you get older, your view of your surroundings will change somewhat. It comes with age.

Keep up the good posts.

Ditch

Last edited by ditchlights; 10-14-2010 at 05:38 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 05:30 PM

170 posts, read 827,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Two guys sucking each other off...
no, that's the best part!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:45 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Back At You!

How is it dangerous to say that in the next 50 years the demographics changes currently underway will challenge which group of people constitute the majority in the United States? This has been pretty much known in this country since the 1980's, which coincidently is when Conservatives became increasingly politically active.

What the matter can't handle the truth?

Does that reality threaten you?
Yeah tell people not to conform to society and see what happens to them. Confirm the paranoia held by the disenfranchised of a white ruling class and see what happens to them as they react to this belief.

As I said, your message is short sighted, foolish, and dangerous.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:11 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Yeah tell people not to conform to society and see what happens to them. Confirm the paranoia held by the disenfranchised of a white ruling class and see what happens to them as they react to this belief.

As I said, your message is short sighted, foolish, and dangerous.
It's not dangerous or shortsighted or foolish, it's progress. Some people are scared of progress and change. Galileo defied the Catholic Church and proved the planets orbited the son. The church expected everybody to "conform" to their social and scientific standard. The German people allowed 6 million Jewish people to be annihilated because they "conformed" to the social standard. Black Americans endured over 300 years of slavery, segregation and political and economic disenfranchisement until a group of Americans decided not to "conform" to a social standard. Joseph McCarthy wrongfully persecuted people because they did not "conform" to a social standard. It's not "conforming" to the social standard that sent young people to protest the Viet Nam War and put it to an end. Albert Einstein didn't "conform" to conventional scientific thought when he pursued the Theory of Relativity.

The world is going to change. People are going to scared there is going to be violence. People who perceive that power and privilege is their's based on race on not going to give up that power without a fight. They will fight and they will lose, just like in the past. Why? In the long term when it comes to social progress AMERICA HAS ALWAYS MOVED FORWARD.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:47 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,594,372 times
7. 9/11 Was Definitely Not An "Inside Job"
Why the hell would the government or whoever do this???

8. Global Warming/Climate Change Is Among Us
I can't see how anybody can deny the existence of global warming when every single scientist admits that is is happening.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 PM

499 posts, read 405,346 times
I'm gay so no suprise I agree with this one. To answer your question...when people think of homosexuality, the image that comes to their minds is of 2 men kissing or having sex together. On a subconscious level, people don't like this because this behavior is perceived as feminine. And people are fearful of the feminine. So, a man being gay is perceived of as renouncing his masculinity...which is extremely threatening to those who fear the feminine. This is why people freak out about homosexuality and why gay men suffer greater discrimination than lesbian women.

I agree. I subscribe to the theory that homphobia is ultimately rooted in misogyny.

Agree with the OP about the legalisation of cannabis.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:44 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times
Just noticed this is an old post! Grrrr.

Quote:
My name is Aaron and I am a high school student living in St. Louis, Missouri and I just want to share my views and opinions on some issues in America.

I don't pay too much attention to social and political issues, but I am pretty aware of what makes sense and what doesn't. And in fact, there are a few specific social issues that I really wanna give my opinion on:

1. There is NOTHING wrong with being gay/lesbian
It's just shocking to me that so many people in the US have a problem with homosexuals and gay marriage. In an ideal world, a person should get to be themselves and not be harassed or discriminated against because of their sexual orientation. Sadly enough this is far from reality in America. Serious question for any of the many homophobes: Why is people being happy and loving who they choose such a terrible and offensive thing?!
First off welcome and it looks as if you pay more attention than you give yourself credit for, good work . As I like to tell people who say “I don’t like or pay attention to politics”. Politics pays attention to you and can cause you to have a pretty drastic future, so paying attention is a must.

I agree 100%. In many cases people just have a false interpretation of what the bible says. Others just like to control people and those they don’t like get the brunt of their control.

Quote:
2. Racism is stupid
Regardless of color, anybody who is racist is WRONG. Granted, America has a terrible past in regards to civil rights and I understand the animosity of many, especially blacks towards whites. But that does not justify hating anybody because of the color of their skin. The Black Panthers have some racist views, but the KKK is incredibly racist and wrong.
Agreed 100% People just like to blame others and scapegoat those who are not like them. Very sad and wrong.

Quote:
3. Fox News scares me
Earlier in the year in my Contemporary Issues class, we watched the documentary "Outfoxxed". The documentary focused on and exploited the many corrupt aspects of the network and really got me realizing how truly messed up it is. The fact that Fox News is one of the most watched cable networks in the world is horrifying. Almost none of the mindless crap that they pass as news is the least bit "fair and balanced".

Fox does have problems but so does MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, etc. All media is controlled by elites with an agenda, first rule, don't trust the media, always verify (See the Fox News Busted thread).

As another poster said Fox is the only station where you will get another point of view, hence their large ratings. All other stations pretty much have the same bias but Fox has the opposite bias.

That said the only two people I actually enjoy, even though their words and phrases may sound similar to the typical Fox show, are John Stossel & Freedom Watch with Judge Napolitano. Both of their shows are over on Fox Business channel but they occasionally let them over on the main channel. The more you listen to them the more you see how consistent they are.

What truly scares me is that teachers will play propaganda films as documentaries. That is scary; does that mean there isn’t anything truthful in the film? Sure there is, Fox drives me nuts. But propaganda films are there to present biases as fact. They have worked very well in history.

Quote:
4. Marijuana and other light psychoactive drugs should be legal
Seriously, let people smoke what they want. Nuff said.
Do what you want but if you harm others, you are liable either financially or jail.

Quote:
5. Gangs are pointless
Street gangs might be the dumbest concept that's considered cool that I can think of. I mean, they are absolutely ridiculous. Stop killing people and selling drugs with your homies and get a f*****g job. Which leads me to my next topic:

6. There IS a serious culture problem among young African-Americans
I know many black people and obviously know that not all young blacks fit this bill, but an alarming amount do. I'm talking about the pants sagging, obnoxious, gangsta rap loving, semi-racist youths. Just kids with the wrong role models, bad parents, and wrong morals. Granted, having a tough past is hard to swallow, but that doesn't justify actions. There is a correlation between poverty and crime, but there is not a causation. Nobody has to steal and murder to make a living. Just stop making excuses, get new positive role-models, and get a real life together.

I think that's all. Thanks for listening and sorry if I offended anyone. Any comments?
I do agree in the big picture of this, the problem is there have been so many systemic laws and regulations passed to "help" AAs. Most of those have done more harm than good. Ending the drug war would go a long way to limit gangs and a lot of the inner city problems. Also, look at my most recent post over in the "Tax the Rich" thread regarding minimum wage.

Great post!

Last edited by hilgi; 02-19-2011 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies