Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Make Drug Testing Mandatory for LI Welfare Recipients?
Yes 106 73.61%
No 38 26.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I don't think there's much harm to society in someone who likes a few cups of coffee in the morning, or smokes a pack of Marlboros a day. Not too many people are out robbing stores, homes, and people to get money for their next pack of smokes or cup of Starbucks.
The reason no one is robbing to get money for tobacco products is because tobacco is legal. If marijuana were legal no one would be doing those things to get it either. After all, it's a plant, just like tobacco is, except that it requires less processing and it's not toxic. The behavior you're objecting to is a result of prohibition and the drug war, not the drug itself. On that basis, you should have a problem with your government, not the people who choose a different drug than you do.

By the way, the counties financial problems have more to do with unfunded government employee benefits and pensions than the 3% of welfare residents that use hard drugs. Dumping on the poor is not going to solve the county's fiancial problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
I don't think there's much harm to society in someone who likes a few cups of coffee in the morning, or smokes a pack of Marlboros a day. Not too many people are out robbing stores, homes, and people to get money for their next pack of smokes or cup of Starbucks.

Even though I was a nicotine addict, I never blamed anyone but myself for taking up a stupid habit like smoking. I never called it a "disease" or played the blame game.
Well, according to the government, Addiction is a disease and shares many likenesses to a common illness.

NIDA - Drug Abuse and Addiction: One of America's Most Challenging Public Health Problems

Addiction is a chronic disease similar to other chronic diseases such as type II diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
I agree we do have our fair share of local welfare trash (especially in Garbagedale)....but we are still overrun lately with inner-city people from NYC/NJ who come here for the ease of welfare and Section 8. And with it has come a major spike in crime, go figure.

Pennsylvania twang? Sorry, we don't have a "twang" here. There is definitely a local accent, but when I think "twang" I think of the South.

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. My mother's family is from western Pa. and many of them clearly speak with a different accent from Noo Yawkas. There is even a difference between Western and N. Eastern residents but that topic is for another thread.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Even though I was a nicotine addict, I never blamed anyone but myself for taking up a stupid habit like smoking. I never called it a "disease" or played the blame game.

I'm not saying you but many who are addicted to nicotine can be a burden to the health care industry. Then think of those who have medicaid, burden to the public.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:52 PM

200 posts, read 287,496 times
If I was on welfare and trying to take care of myself and my family, I would have NO PROBLEM submitting to weekly, monthly, random whatever drug test. Just like I don't have a problem submitting to random drug testing by my employer, you know, because I am trying to take care of my family

Old 10-13-2010, 03:04 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I'm not saying you but many who are addicted to nicotine can be a burden to the health care industry. Then think of those who have medicaid, burden to the public.
You need to take into account the medical cost associated in treating lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema and other health issues related to nicotine addiction before proclaiming there is no harm to society when people ingest nicotine. Your health care insurance premiums and everybody else’s are affected by these costs.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You need to take into account the medical cost associated in treating lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema and other health issues related to nicotine addiction before proclaiming there is no harm to society when people ingest nicotine. Your health care insurance premiums and everybody else’s are affected by these costs.

Exactly! Just looking in terms of welfare those addicted to nicotine and alcohol should be a far bigger concern than those who do drugs. Some drugs are instant death, alcohol and nicotine are slow and usually leads to long term medical care.

BTW, I'm very happy this thread has moved to this forum. Many new thoughts coming into the fold and less bashing of the poor and more of a discussion on the human condition. Often times topics like this on the LI forum turns into ethnic bashing. Look at the Tri County flea market thread. Why did shopping at a flea market have to turn into a rant against non-traditional Long Islanders? I'm glad they closed that thread. Now back to the topic.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:27 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
How about mandatory drug testing for corporate welfare recipients?

That should be a whole new poll, however.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:55 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Not only drug testing, but welfare recipients should be tested for alcohol and nicotine. If you can afford beer and smokes, you don't need my tax money to buy your food.

Also, food stamps should be used like WIC checks....only certain healthy foods can be purchased. You should not be able to buy Doritos, Tastykakes, Ding Dongs, Cheetos, Mountain Dew, etc etc, with food stamps. You should also be unable to buy Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail. Only reasonably-priced healthy food.
While alcohol & nicotine would unpractical (leave the system too fast); a simpler way is exactly what you stated - by converting food stamps to WIC type restrictions. There are people selling food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar allover the country. I know we've all seen the filet mignon & jumbo shrimp example before. It's sickening..the worst is after in the parking lot when they jump into their Range Rover.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Don't think of this as a derailment but think of it as a way to reach a wider, more intelligent and open minded audience. Not just of few of the narrow minded "good ol boys."
I posted last night for mods to move it,
posted last night at 9:11pm
"You're correct. Is there a way I can change the title to remove LI?

Mods: if you can, please move to one of these cats if possible:
-Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
-True Crime
-Work and Employment
-Politics and other controversies
-Great Debates

thanks."

I would've moved into into one of the first 2 categories, but politics is fine. And I'm pretty sure the LI thread is not full of good ole boys. Bush was the 2nd worst president in history imho, behind papa bush.
And on a side note, it's good to see that nearly 4 out of 5 people think testing for drugs should be done. Now if this were a real democracy, it would have been done decades ago. But liberals don't want to disrupt a major source of votes they get. That's really what this is all about btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies