Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:07 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
How about we simply tax only Hollywood and like "entertainment" industries around 98%? I think that alone would cover all the costs and the bonus is that if people ran into hard times, losing out on paying actors, sports stars, and the rest of the entertainment industry would result in no loss of importance.

What do you say?
Better yet.

All of these "patriots" who want to raise taxes on everyone else should just mail a check.

Bill Clinton said that he and Hillary could pay much more...send it in Bill.

Make it payable to U.S. Treasury.

Gov. Huckabee started a program in Arkansas when he was there called the "Tax me more" plan.

Result, barely collected $1000.

Put your money where your mouth is libs.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 AM

767 posts, read 489,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Those who are not paying anything will have to start paying something.
According to your sarcastic remark, that number is approximately half of the USA.

Quote:
And, (as i stated in my original post) we should crack down on illegal immigrants & their employers, & other tax evaders.
Thread is not about illegal immigration

Quote:
I'm about as anti-tax as you can get... so I don't know where you are going with this thread.
Straight forward question, do you want to increase taxes on the 47% of Americans that don't pay taxes, per conservative sources? Yes or no.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:13 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
The top 3% = half? Where did you learn math? Hogwart Academy?

Nice talk!!!! And which academy taught you that?

No wonder so many people have participated in your thread. Attacking and name calling seem to be all the left has anymore. So sad.

Considering so many in the country have lost their jobs it might be a good time to CUT SPENDING! Many americans have had to do this so why not the gov't? So you think it's fine to raise taxes on 3% of the population so that 50% don't pay or better yet get returns. At the school I went to I was taught that you can only change the rules of a game so many times before the opponant takes his ball and goes home. The rich can afford to leave this country and then who are you going to have to support you?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Considering so many in the country have lost their jobs it might be a good time to CUT SPENDING! Many americans have had to do this so why not the gov't? So you think it's fine to raise taxes on 3% of the population so that 50% don't pay or better yet get returns.
You can cut spending all you want, you still need taxes. I'll ask again, which I doubt I'll get an answer. Do you think that 50% that don't pay ought to pay? Yes or no?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,399 times
Quote:
According to your sarcastic remark, that number is approximately half of the USA.

Thread is not about illegal immigration

Straight forward question, do you want to increase taxes on the 47% of Americans that don't pay taxes, per conservative sources? Yes or no.
approximately half? I thought you had hard facts? You'r still tryingb that fuzzy math
What I will say is that the US needs to stop stealing from hard working Americans. tax money is OUR money. The government has no right to tax more than they need to function. We have to stop wasteful spending!
so, I would raise taxes on 13.2% of people... those people are not paying their fair share, and they need to.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:29 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,998 times
Quote:
You can cut spending all you want, you still need taxes. I'll ask again, which I doubt I'll get an answer. Do you think that 50% that don't pay ought to pay? Yes or no?

You seem to imply that someone is saying that nobody should have to pay ANY taxes. You make no sense. Maybe that's why you don't get the answer that you're looking for. Do you think that some people should be getting rebates?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
You seem to imply that someone is saying that nobody should have to pay ANY taxes. You make no sense. Maybe that's why you don't get the answer that you're looking for. Do you think that some people should be getting rebates?
This thread is about whether half the country should pay taxes and a poster mentioned reducing spending. That's the only reason I brought up spending. With the exception of one or two posters, very few are giving me straight answers.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,399 times
Quote:
This thread is about whether half the country should pay taxes and a poster mentioned reducing spending. That's the only reason I brought up spending. With the exception of one or two posters, very few are giving me straight answers.
your leading questions are the reason why you are not getting the answers. lets play heads I win, tails you lose

your entire post is pointless. Why don't you respond to what people say instead of injecting your fuzzy math.
I don't have any specific stats for you, sorry
Like I said, 42.7% of statistics are just made up anyway
I think all employed citizens should pay some taxes. But there are much bigger economical issues that should also be addressed.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
If tea party members and supporters repeatedly complain that only the rich pay taxes and 47% of Americans don't pay any taxes, what is their solution for this? Are they ok with half the country not paying taxes? How do they want to remedy this? They've made it clear that they want the rich to pay less taxes, but what about the people who don't pay, which is close to half of Americans, by their estimates. If they claim that they don't wan to raise taxes on the lower half, are they essentially saying it's ok they don't pay taxes. If that's the case, why the complaining? Isn't it unfair that the rich would still continue to be the only ones that pay taxes?

Top 50% of Wage Earners Pay 96.03% of Income Taxes

FoxNews.com - Nearly Half of U.S. Households Pay No Federal Income Tax

Hannity still clinging to fact-free claim that half of Americans pay no taxes | Media Matters for America

Well, if the Tea Party movement were an actual political party, as you seem to be convinced it is, we could go to their web page to see what their platform says on the matter, but since it isn't a political party or even a single organization, we'll have to leave opinions on issues like the one you describe to individuals.

I personally dislike the income tax because it directly penalizes productivity. A more fair and sensible method of revenue generation would be import tarrifs, use taxes and taxes on personal property. The federal government incures costs associated with protecting the citizens and their property, therefore, to the degree we enjoy this protection, we should be obligated to pay for it.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Well, if the Tea Party movement were an actual political party, as you seem to be convinced it is, we could go to their web page to see what their platform says on the matter, but since it isn't a political party or even a single organization, we'll have to leave opinions on issues like the one you describe to individuals.
Didn't you read my post? You quoted it. I'll post the first sentence again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001
If tea party members and supporters repeatedly complain that only the rich pay taxes and 47% of Americans don't pay any taxes, what is their solution for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The federal government incures costs associated with protecting the citizens and their property, therefore, to the degree we enjoy this protection, we should be obligated to pay for it.
Do you believe people like Rush and Hannity when they claim that half of Americans don't pay taxes. If you do, what is your solution to this? Make them pay or allow them not to pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies