Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:13 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,470,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
not necessarily. we can start by restructuring the income tax table from top to bottom. I'd like to see a flat tax with the first $10,000 annual income exempt from federal taxes. For those citizens who are still struggling, there is plenty of assistance still available. Food stamps, free or discounted school lunches, etc. There are also state & local programs (both state sponsored & private groups) out there that are helping. We should let the charity groups provide charity w/o gov't intrusion.
OOh so lets have the middle class have their taxes increase so you can cut rich people's taxes.

Now the reason some people pay nothing in federal income taxes is due to things like dependent deductions, mortgage interest deductions, property tax deductions, child tax credit, and things of that nature. However, all of these things also help reduce taxes for the middle class as well

So my question is this. In addition to exempting the first $10,000 of annual income from federal taxes, would you allow these exemptions, deductions and credits mentioned above? Also if you would allow them, would they be the same amounts they are now, same limitations they are now or something else?

Also in regards to the $10,000 in income you would exempt. Is that for single filers, married filers or both? Also what would the flat tax rate be?

Old 10-15-2010, 02:16 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
How can you have a tax "increase" when they pay nothing. Let's increase their taxes by twice as much. 2 x 0 is still O.

To answer your question in a re-worded way. "Do you want the 50% of peolple who pay no taxes to now start to pay taxes? YES. Everybody should have to contribute. You want to play in the game, put in the ante.
Making the 47% of Americans who currently pay no taxes start paying is most certainly a tax increase--one that would impact over half the country. Last time I looked at a math book, anything above zero was a higher number.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
OOh so lets have the middle class have their taxes increase so you can cut rich people's taxes.

Now the reason some people pay nothing in federal income taxes is due to things like dependent deductions, mortgage interest deductions, property tax deductions, child tax credit, and things of that nature. However, all of these things also help reduce taxes for the middle class as well

So my question is this. In addition to exempting the first $10,000 of annual income from federal taxes, would you allow these exemptions, deductions and credits mentioned above? Also if you would allow them, would they be the same amounts they are now, same limitations they are now or something else?

Also in regards to the $10,000 in income you would exempt. Is that for single filers, married filers or both? Also what would the flat tax rate be?
I'm not a tax expert... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

dude, I don't have all the answers. Why did you automatically say that I would increase middle class taxes,just to decrease taxes on the rich? Did you even read my post?
I want less taxes for everyone
The fact is that we need to cut the fat in DC. The US gov't brings in too much revenue as it is, so we do not need to raise any significant taxes.
There will always be that segment of society that feels like they are getting screwed... thats life. Our "me first" mentality has only made things worse.
Have you heard of John F. Kennedy? As not what your country can do for you? Does any of this ring a bell? Does Obama advocate for this kind of United States? This ain't your grandfathers democratic party

Old 10-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Making the 47% of Americans who currently pay no taxes start paying is most certainly a tax increase--one that would impact over half the country. Last time I looked at a math book, anything above zero was a higher number.
You forgot that 42.7% of all statistics are just made up
That changes everything doesn't it

You also conveniently forgot to mention that illegal immigrants and unemployed make up a good amount of the non taxpayers.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:27 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
That's no kidding. Only snarkiness as a reply without ever taking a stand. I still don't understand the premise of the thread!
My comment was in no way meant to be snarky. The tea party is calling for across the board tax cuts, yet they want the 47% of Americans who currently pay no taxes to start paying. You can't cut zero, but you can sure add to it, and making them start paying is doing just that--it is in fact a MAJOR tax increase. I really had never thought of it that way.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not a tax expert... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

dude, I don't have all the answers. Why did you automatically say that I would increase middle class taxes,just to decrease taxes on the rich? Did you even read my post?
I want less taxes for everyone
The fact is that we need to cut the fat in DC. The US gov't brings in too much revenue as it is, so we do not need to raise any significant taxes.
There will always be that segment of society that feels like they are getting screwed... thats life. Our "me first" mentality has only made things worse.
Have you heard of John F. Kennedy? As not what your country can do for you? Does any of this ring a bell? Does Obama advocate for this kind of United States? This ain't your grandfathers democratic party

I automatically said that because that is EXACTLY what a flat tax would do. On top of that you mentioned how those who are not paying any federal taxes should start paying some. The reasons many of those who don't pay any federal income taxes don't is because of the deductions and credits I mentioned earlier. So the only way you could get them to pay something is removing or cutting those deductions and credits. However, the middle class also gets tax relief as a result of those deductions and credits. So if you remove or cut those credits and deductions you will be doing more than just having those pay federal income taxes who currently are not paying them, you will also be increasing the taxes on the middle class.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
My comment was in no way meant to be snarky. The tea party is calling for across the board tax cuts, yet they want the 47% of Americans who currently pay no taxes to start paying. You can't cut zero, but you can sure add to it, and making them start paying is doing just that--it is in fact a MAJOR tax increase. I really had never thought of it that way.
Agreed, also as I said the reason why many Americans do not pay federal income taxes don't is due to deductions and credits they can take. Things such as depending exemptions, mortgage interest deductions, property tax deductions, the child tax credit. If you are going to force those who aren't paying any federal income taxes to start paying, the deductions and credits mentioned above would have to be either reduced or eliminated. Those deductions and credits however, are also key to reducing the tax burden on the middle class. So if you reduce them or eliminate them, the middle class will see tax increases.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I automatically said that because that is EXACTLY what a flat tax would do. On top of that you mentioned how those who are not paying any federal taxes should start paying some. The reasons many of those who don't pay any federal income taxes don't is because of the deductions and credits I mentioned earlier. So the only way you could get them to pay something is removing or cutting those deductions and credits. However, the middle class also gets tax relief as a result of those deductions and credits. So if you remove or cut those credits and deductions you will be doing more than just having those pay federal income taxes who currently are not paying them, you will also be increasing the taxes on the middle class.

I never said that we should cut those deductions
I said that I am in favor of lower taxes for everyone (*but we need to crack down big-time on illegal immigrants & their employers*)

what part of that do you not understand

Old 10-15-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I never said that we should cut those deductions
I said that I am in favor of lower taxes for everyone (*but we need to crack down big-time on illegal immigrants & their employers*)

what part of that do you not understand
You also mentioned those who aren't paying anything would have to start paying something. The only way that can possibly happen is removing or cutting those deductions and credits.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
You also mentioned those who aren't paying anything would have to start paying something. The only way that can possibly happen is removing or cutting those deductions and credits.
no, that is not the "only" way. We have to think outside the box.

lets take 20 people and drop them in the middle of the ocean.
They all form a circle with their arms around each others shoulders.
They must kick strong enough to keep their heads above water and stay afloat.
What do you think will happen if 10 of these people stop kicking?
(Assuming that Michael Phelps is not there) They will wear out the other 10 pretty quickly, don't you think? They will all drown

My point is that we need everyone to contribute to our society. Good swimmers & bad...

There are only 2 kinds of people in the world. The ones who pick you up when you are down... and the ones who put you down there in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies