Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:05 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Didn't you read my post? You quoted it. I'll post the first sentence again

Do you believe people like Rush and Hannity when they claim that half of Americans don't pay taxes. If you do, what is your solution to this? Make them pay or allow them not to pay?
some of those non-tax paying "Americans" are umemployed or illegal immigrants. So, factoring in those groups may get us close to the magical 50%. there are also different taxes. Are you specifically talking about income tax? Who knows what the real stats are. people use stats all the time to back up their agenda... Look at Al Gore

Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
So you want a tax increase on half the country?
How can you have a tax "increase" when they pay nothing. Let's increase their taxes by twice as much. 2 x 0 is still O.

To answer your question in a re-worded way. "Do you want the 50% of peolple who pay no taxes to now start to pay taxes? YES. Everybody should have to contribute. You want to play in the game, put in the ante.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
If tea party members and supporters repeatedly complain that only the rich pay taxes and 47% of Americans don't pay any taxes, what is their solution for this? Are they ok with half the country not paying taxes? How do they want to remedy this? They've made it clear that they want the rich to pay less taxes, but what about the people who don't pay, which is close to half of Americans, by their estimates. If they claim that they don't want to raise taxes on the lower half, are they essentially saying it's ok they don't pay taxes. If that's the case, why the complaining? Isn't it unfair that the rich would still continue to be the only ones that pay taxes, according to them.

Top 50% of Wage Earners Pay 96.03% of Income Taxes

FoxNews.com - Nearly Half of U.S. Households Pay No Federal Income Tax

Hannity still clinging to fact-free claim that half of Americans pay no taxes | Media Matters for America
Does the OP think it is acceptable for over half the country to pay no income taxes?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:38 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
You can't raise 0, everyone should pay taxes period so the 50% who live off of the government and sometimes even get "returns" on tax money they never paid in the first place need to share the burden that the rest of us do.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Those who are not paying anything will have to start paying something.
And, (as i stated in my original post) we should crack down on illegal immigrants & their employers, & other tax evaders.

I'm about as anti-tax as you can get... so I don't know where you are going with this thread.
The only way that could happen is if you get rid of deductions for the amount of dependents and get rid of things along the lines of the child tax credit. Not only would that increase the taxes in those who pay no federal taxes (they do pay other taxes), but it would also increase the taxes of all middle class families.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
You can cut spending all you want, you still need taxes. I'll ask again, which I doubt I'll get an answer. Do you think that 50% that don't pay ought to pay? Yes or no?
Why won't the OP answer his own question? Do you think it is OK for more than 50% of the US population to pay no income tax? Yes or no?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The only way that could happen is if you get rid of deductions for the amount of dependents and get rid of things along the lines of the child tax credit. Not only would that increase the taxes in those who pay no federal taxes (they do pay other taxes), but it would also increase the taxes of all middle class families.
not necessarily. we can start by restructuring the income tax table from top to bottom. I'd like to see a flat tax with the first $10,000 annual income exempt from federal taxes. For those citizens who are still struggling, there is plenty of assistance still available. Food stamps, free or discounted school lunches, etc. There are also state & local programs (both state sponsored & private groups) out there that are helping. We should let the charity groups provide charity w/o gov't intrusion.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why won't the OP answer his own question? Do you think it is OK for more than 50% of the US population to pay no income tax? Yes or no?
he is more interested in spinning the issue to make himself look good. How is that working

Old 10-15-2010, 02:08 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
I hadn't thought about it this way, but you're exactly right. It would mean massive tax increases for the majority of Americans. Maybe the largest tax increase ever seen in the history of the country.

Interesting...

Very good post.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:10 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,998 times
That's no kidding. Only snarkiness as a reply without ever taking a stand. I still don't understand the premise of the thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies