Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 02:26 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You claim it ever was?
Of course it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
You and a few others are just trying to backpedal out of HistorianDude's claim that slavery is moral.
You know what's immoral? The bald and shameless lies that you depend on for your arguments.

I have never said that slavery is moral.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Um... that's exactly what we already have.

Just a few examples...

Flu season every year
Chicago murder rate is up 38% this year (Go Rahm! )
Those receiving public assistance have a birth rate 3 times that of those who don't

I'm really surprised that so many of you are so WILLING to condemn exponentially more and more children to a life of struggle and poverty.
Your ignorance is absolutely astounding. You are using localized and anecdotal evidence to address national issues. Providing people with welfare is not a cure for the flu. In no way did I suggest that it was. Rather, if we all had decent medical care, more people WOULD receive a flu vaccine and it WOULD be more beneficial to all of us.

Again, your conclusion does not match up to your logic. Your correlation of birth rates to public assistance ignores the following: educational background, poverty status, and other societal factors. You take one factor (those receiving assistance) and you apply that as though it's the root cause of all the problems. The simple fact is that those receiving assistance are MOST likely to have poor educational background, a higher poverty status and be influenced negatively by the societal influences around them.

It's clear at this point that you'll say and do anything to argue merely for the sake of arguing. I think it's safe to say you're just a troll at this point.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Trying to conflate moral with moral relativism doesn't fly. You and a few others are just trying to backpedal out of HistorianDude's claim that slavery is moral.
Really, you need to stop digging yourself into an increasingly bigger hole.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The Bible does not paint slavery as moral - you are using a common argument that Bible-haters make - and it = FAIL.
Oh? Please explain these passages for me then:

Quote:
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)
Quote:
If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)
Quote:
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)
Quote:
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
How about the New Testament?

Quote:
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)
Quote:
Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)
Things that make you say, hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Evolution is a myth - not a fact.
Only to blithering idiotic cavemen who cower at fire.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:45 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
It's quite possible to be a leftist, a theist, and subscribe to evolutionary biology and the natural sciences generally, without any resort whatsoever to creationism or so-called intelligent design. This means that one doesn't take either the Judeo-Christian scriptures or other such writings as factual, veridical history, but rather as heterogeneous collections of sacred literature that tell us something about spiritual or existential truth, rather than scientific fact. Science explains questions of functional mechanisms of "how"; religion explains questions of meaning, including ultimate meaning. Even St Augustine of Hippo in the 5th Century posited that the Deity set Creation going in its primordial forms, from which subsequent expressions of life evolved over time. In any event, one can believe that a creative and omnibenevolent energy that we know as God is "behind" and within the entire manifest Creation, while at the same time acknowledging that this unfolding Creation proceeds through natural mechanisms, and that it is indeed far greater and grander than anything envisioned in the biblical account of creation. Politically I'm indeed a leftie, but I don't think that has much directly to do with the way I understand the interface of natural science and the reality of an eternal Power that is at the heart - or that is the heart - of everything. By the way, I'm also an active communicant of the Church and accept the basic dogmatic formulations of the historic Christian faith. However, scientific understanding and empirical knowledge are not to be conflated with religious faith, something which would constitute a category error. However, the two ways of seeing the world - the scienfitic and the faith-based - can complement one another and give us a greater sense of wonder and reverence at the grandeur and essential holiness of Creation.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Your ignorance is absolutely astounding. You are using localized and anecdotal evidence to address national issues.
No different than your use of generalities and anecdotal observations. That must make YOU ignorant, too.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:59 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Recently there's been a wave of threads mocking Christians who believe in creationism or intelligent design, utilizing the usual tactics of the leftist playbook, calling us dumb, ignorant, "against science", etc; yet according to all polls over 75% of Americans believe that a creator was involved in the formation of the earth. The irony is no one was there so it's faith either way. I happen to believe that it takes a lot more faith to believe that earth was created out of random coincidental happenstance as opposed to the hand of a brilliant creator. Leftists, why do you love evolution so much?
I agree with you....but shouldn't this be on the Religion board??

Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 PM

33,545 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
The Bible does not paint slavery as moral - you are using a common argument that Bible-haters make - and it = FAIL.

Evolution is a myth - not a fact.
You know the bible verses that support slavery as well as I do, well at least you should, but you cherry pick the bible just like you do everything else....Regarding you statement on evolution...It is just your ignorance showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies