Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is the amount of govt pensions, it is the timing of them. We laugh at the people in France protesting over having to work until 62 instead of 60 yet here we are with govt workers who are often able to retire in their 50s.

Govt workers should certainly get a pension that additional financial security is a just reward for their public service, but how about working longer like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I don't think it is the amount of govt pensions, it is the timing of them. We laugh at the people in France protesting over having to work until 62 instead of 60 yet here we are with govt workers who are often able to retire in their 50s.

Govt workers should certainly get a pension that additional financial security is a just reward for their public service, but how about working longer like everyone else.
Who is able to retire in their 50s if they're federal employees?
CSRS employees, only; and that system went out in the early 80s.
Do you really think many people are retiring at all if they don't have to for health reasons, etc. in this economy?
Under FERS you can see from the above post that the person would get between 20-24k a year in retirement if they held a salary of $80k (the vast majority of federal workers do not make that as a salary).

Please explain your second paragraph.

I suppose you want all the people who work in prisons to work more than their 20 years with full pensions and military members who can retire with 20 years and get full pensions to work longer, too. Right?

Heck, military members can retire at 37 or 38.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Had to reply to CC's comment:
And lest we forget, federal employees receive grade promotions pretty much automatically. Vacation and health care are also extremely generous.

Knowing one that is, it depends on where and what the position may be. Not all and probably as many, as you'd think receive that automatic promotion as you put it. Also, once you've gone to the highest step within any particular grade scale, you may be sitting in that pay range for as long as .... you retire. Ten years or more, unless you can find another job somewhere else. Not all the positions go to a GS-12/13 or higher. Some only go as high as GS-6 or GS-7, a GS-8, if you're lucky. Even some analytical positions have to put together a "package", which entails a lot of careful thought, grades and recommendations for particular work that they did during one eval period to another and even THEN, it's not guaranteed that they'll get it.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who is able to retire in their 50s if they're federal employees?
CSRS employees, only; and that system went out in the early 80s.
FERS Eligibility

Is that out of date or something?

Quote:
Do you really think many people are retiring at all if they don't have to for health reasons, etc. in this economy?
Yes.

Quote:
I suppose you want all the people who work in prisons to work more than their 20 years with full pensions and military members who can retire with 20 years and get full pensions to work longer, too. Right?
Pointless attempt at distraction. Pass.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I say make the cuts and have the Forest Service monitor the controlled burn that happens in D.C.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Really?
Got anything other than your opinion, or your BILs complaint. Of course, he was the only one in the office who did any work, right?

Boondoggle, why don't you try to get a federal job if they're so easy.
I said it was anecdotal. Actually my BIL did none of the actual work, nor was he a supervisor. In private industry, anyone performing the "duties" he performed, even at half the cost, would have been reassigned to some real work within a week.

I never said the jobs were easy to come by, although maybe much more so for minorities. It's like any other union job - only a randomly selected few get to reap rewards far beyond their competitive value.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Not a problem during a depression such as we are in now, but might it lead to mass resignations in the FBI, DEA, Border Patrol and a few other departments once the economy is restored to health?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Not a problem during a depression such as we are in now, but might it lead to mass resignations in the FBI, DEA, Border Patrol and a few other departments once the economy is restored to health?
The government needs to pay competitive salaries and benefits. I just want the total compensation to be pay-as-you-go, not open-ended accruals punted down the road to future taxpayers. We have plenty of that already with gigantic unfunded Medicare liability.

Unfunded pension and health care liabilities are an even bigger time bomb for the states, since most are required to balance their budgets. Moreover, many are vastly understating their liability by assuming their funds will earn totally unrealistic long term returns of 8-9-10% after inflation.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
FERS Eligibility

Is that out of date or something?
Might help if you read the link.
You need to look at the whole picture, not solely the pieces you choose.

Yes.

Pointless attempt at distraction. Pass.
Why is it pointless?
Military members are FEDERAL EMPLOYEES who can retire with full pension after 20 years; Bureau of Prisons employees can retire, full pension after 20 years.

You don't include them in your witch hunt?
Why not?

They get FREE MEDICAL for the rest of their lives, that's a hefty chunk of change; commissary and BX benefits; a great package.

Or aren't they part of the demographic you're targeting?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
I said it was anecdotal. Actually my BIL did none of the actual work, nor was he a supervisor. In private industry, anyone performing the "duties" he performed, even at half the cost, would have been reassigned to some real work within a week.

I never said the jobs were easy to come by, although maybe much more so for minorities. It's like any other union job - only a randomly selected few get to reap rewards far beyond their competitive value.
Again, got anything but an opinion?
Really.
The most dead weight I see in Federal service is retired military who are double dipping.
But still, no worse than private industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies