Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And right before that...

The part they so conveniently left out...
Thanks. You provided more proof Franklin was not a believer. Anyone who believes being a "good guy" is a way to salvation does not believe in Jesus Christ. The Bible repeats over and over that a person is saved by Christ only, and nothing else. Being a good or generous person means nothing to God unless you have faith in Christ. But then again Frankin admitted he never bothered to read the word of God and said he did not intend to do so either, so it does not surprise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:31 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's easy: google the quote.

Google " having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now"
I did, and all I got was links to atheist websites as if they're somehow unbiased. You could have just provided the link where you got it instead of making someone chase after it. But whatever...

Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
The part I don't agree with is you claiming they (Franklin and Jefferson) were Deist.

Ah, so the part you didn't read, you mean? The part YOU MADE UP?

I was responding to someone else who said this, and I said MAY HAVE BEEN. I never said WERE - YOU put those words in my mouth. Actually, I have read pretty much all of Jefferson's letters at least once and there's jsut no way I would CLAIM to "know" exactly what he believed in terms of god - because HE HIMSELF avoided saying so. I lived with my father 47 years and I would not claim to know his mind, how can ANY man claim to know what another truly believes?

I will offer you this FACT: In his day he was considered "anti christian" and called godless by many because of hsi stance on the barriers of church and state. He was a POLITICAN and also spoke of the great value RELIGION has in leading a people. Now, go back to your google-ing and try to disprove anything I actually said.
I'm not really sure what your problem is. I told you with what I disagreed. The quote about Jefferson's religion was from the Jefferson bible. That would be what Jefferson put together from the bible. That's not the Koran or any other religious book. It wasn't a book someone else put together for Jefferson. Those were his words, take them or leave them.

As to googling, do you really think using the source, and linking to it, is that bad? I didn't use google to get to the source either, Sherlock.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I did, and all I got was links to atheist websites as if they're somehow unbiased. You could have just provided the link where you got it instead of making someone chase after it. But whatever...
Yes, whatever. When you can't accept the truth, and make futile attempts to attack the sources (there are dozens and dozens of them), then all we can say is "whaever".

The sourse is conservapedia, but I prefer people do a little research on their own. Otherwise all we get is "your souce is biased". No games please. Deism - Conservapedia

Old 10-24-2010, 11:39 AM

783 posts, read 2,258,295 times
"Use the source, luke."

The source was at first useless to Luke, because he didn't understand it.

Ayeah, I'm lookin' at BJ...

Old 10-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, whatever. When you can't accept the truth, and make futile attempts to attack the sources (there are dozens and dozens of them), then all we can say is "whaever".

The sourse is conservapedia, but I prefer people do a little research on their own. Otherwise all we get is "your souce is biased". No games please. Deism - Conservapedia
No there wasn't. There was one source and that was the letter I provided for you since you couldn't manage to muster up the courage to provide it and follow through with the TOS.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
"Use the source, luke."

The source was at first useless to Luke, because he didn't understand it.

Ayeah, I'm lookin' at BJ...
I understand now. You have some pent up energy because you had a failure to launch. I'm not really sure what you want me to argue with you about since I was in agreement with virtually everything you said except that one little thing. Now it appears though that you're just looking for an argument, for whatever reason.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
No there wasn't. There was one source and that was the letter I provided for you since you couldn't manage to muster up the courage to provide it and follow through with the TOS.
Yes, there was, and still is and they are very easy to find.

having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now - Google Search

Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Look (from your link):
Quote:
Deism is the religious belief that God created the universe and then abandoned it, assuming no control over life, exerting no influence on natural phenomena, and giving no supernatural revelation.
Quote:
I believe in one God, Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by his Providence.
Quote:
Definition of PROVIDENCE

a often capitalized : divine guidance or care
Providence - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Does that really sound like he thought God spun the world and then abandoned it?

As far as your link it's silly to let others guess where you got it from. That's against the TOS but besides that it isn't good policy. If you wrote a paper in school, and you left out the sources with your quotes, any good teacher would fail the paper.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, there was, and still is and they are very easy to find.

having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now - Google Search
So you would rather have someone else interpret for you what he wrote himself than to go to the actual writings that they're quoting? That doesn't even make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies