Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Uhh.. Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday. I guess in some peoples' worlds, everything is Christian. No wonder they'd prefer to live in a theocracy.

Thanksgiving is not just a holiday for parades and turkeys. It is a day to stop and take inventory on all the blessings God has bestowed on you this year. It is a time to get together with your family and your friends, and it is a time to get together with God.

But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the LORD."

Though it was not called Thanksgiving at the time, what we recognize as the first Thanksgiving feast was celebrated in 1621 by the pilgrims of the Plymouth colony along with about 90 Wampanoag Indians. The Pilgrims had suffered through a devastating winter in which nearly half their number died. Without the help of the Indians, all would have perished.

After the first harvest, Governor William Bradford proclaimed a day of thanksgiving and prayer to God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Um, no. Thanksgiving is a HUGE holiday where I come from. Its one of the only times of the year that the entire family gets together, no matter how far away we are.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Thanksgiving is not just a holiday for parades and turkeys. It is a day to stop and take inventory on all the blessings God has bestowed on you this year. It is a time to get together with your family and your friends, and it is a time to get together with God.

But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the LORD."

Though it was not called Thanksgiving at the time, what we recognize as the first Thanksgiving feast was celebrated in 1621 by the pilgrims of the Plymouth colony along with about 90 Wampanoag Indians. The Pilgrims had suffered through a devastating winter in which nearly half their number died. Without the help of the Indians, all would have perished.

After the first harvest, Governor William Bradford proclaimed a day of thanksgiving and prayer to God.

In 1623, a period of drought was answered by colonists with a proclamation of prayer and fasting. This prayer and fasting was changed to another thanksgiving celebration when rains came during the prayers. Later that year, Governor Bradford proclaimed November 29 as a time for pilgrims to gather and "listen to ye pastor and render thanksgiving to ye Almighty God for all His blessings."

Old 10-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Throughout American history, there were many thanksgiving proclamations and celebrations. In 1789 George Washington proclaimed a National Thanksgiving Day on the last Thursday in November, in honor of the new United States Constitution. Thomas Jefferson, the third president, later discontinued it, calling it "a kingly practice."
In 1863, Sarah Josepha Hale, the author of the poem "Mary Had a Little Lamb," convinced Abraham Lincoln to proclaim Thanksgiving a national holiday. For the date she chose the last Thursday in November because of Washington's proclamation. In 1941, it was officially changed to the fourth Thursday in November.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:57 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
I'm not all that religious, but I love to eat. There's no way in heck I'd skip Thanksgiving for that reason alone.
I'm not religious, not a fan of the Pilgrims given their history---but damn it I still love Thanksgiving. Because turkey is delicious, gravy is delicious, my mom's stuffing is delicious, mashed potatoes and yams are delicious, cranberry sauce is delicious, and pumpkin pie is delicious. And it's only one of a few time during the year that I can count on most of my family being together.

And after dinner it's also fun to watch the annual tradition of the Detroit Lions getting their asses whooped!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:58 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
I hadn't really noticed that people skip out on Thanksgiving. It's OK if they do because you have to consider that all holidays are optional and it should be up to the individual. If you want it invite all your friends and family over and never mind what everyone else is doing..

Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
pilgrims vs puritans(english religous nuts)

Old 10-23-2010, 01:02 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Was your turkey dead or alive, at the time?

I think that we now see one very poor reason to forget Thanksgiving.
Dead. I won't lie, I'm all about save the animals........but only the cute ones and once your arm goes there......there aren't any cute ones.

This behind stuff is relentless. I don't even like turkey.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:20 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Has anyone noticed that the attention seems to go right from Halloween straight to Christmas nowadays? There's hardly any mention of Thanksigiving anymore. I've heard a lot about Black Friday and it's not even Halloween yet! We're paying more attention to a stupid shopping spree that is built on greed and money than a nice holiday. Have people lost respect for Thanksgiving? I think it's a little sad, considering that Thanksgiving is one of the most important holidays in our country. It's also a special time for families to spend together.

What has happened to Thanksgiving?

I haven't noticed it at all. Thanksgiving is still the most delicious holiday, and my personal favorite.

Then again, I was never that into the whole Halloween thing. I thought I was too old for at like age 12. But a lot of people never age out of it.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:21 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Most folks I know celebrate and give thanks every year including this year.advertisement and re tailor sales are not necessary or noticed. This day will always be with us and observed. on the other hand entitlement day is everyday and is meaningless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies