Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times

Advertisements

Daylight savings time should be abolished. It is a relic of the past and a failed experiment. I would vote for a candidate who supported its abolition even if I disagreed with most of his other positions.
If it is so great then why not just shift all time zones over one? The east cost would switch from Eastern to Atlantic. That small part of Maine thats already on Atlantic would switch to whatever's East of Atlantic. All the others would switch too. Hech, we could go all out and do waht China does and have one time zone for the whole country. Yeah, it would be dark at 9
:00 AM somewhere but they would still have light at 9:00 PM too. Sounds crazy but it is a natural extention of an already crazy policy. End it. End it now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:03 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Congress and the President never checked with the rest of the world, much of which starts DST two weeks later and ends it one week earlier. People I know who deal often with Europe find it a nuisance that they are out of sync for those three weeks. And how much did it save?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
It's difficult to imagine that daylight savings time means very much, not in the least because not all 50 states participate. I know that Indiana doesn't (messes up railroad timetables for trains passing through that state, but obviously that's not a major concern).

Just put in on the list with things that ought to be abolished, but won't be on account of insufficient common sense. Right along with the Electoral College.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's difficult to imagine that daylight savings time means very much, not in the least because not all 50 states participate. I know that Indiana doesn't (messes up railroad timetables for trains passing through that state, but obviously that's not a major concern).

Just put in on the list with things that ought to be abolished, but won't be on account of insufficient common sense. Right along with the Electoral College.
Indiana is now 100% on DST. The only states that don't participate are AZ and HI.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
DST is stupid. Actually, I think we should do away with time zones altogether. One single time around the globe, for historic reasons based on Greenwich. Thus, for instance, it would say Open: 5pm through 2am on shop or office doors in L.A.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
DST is stupid. Actually, I think we should do away with time zones altogether. One single time around the globe, for historic reasons based on Greenwich. Thus, for instance, it would say Open: 5pm through 2am on shop or office doors in L.A.
That's a great idea. Aviation already does that. Greenwich time is called "Zulu time" and it is used for all flight planning.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
That's a great idea. Aviation already does that. Greenwich time is called "Zulu time" and it is used for all flight planning.
Oh really, didn't know that Why Zulu?!
Since I am a translator it would be cool. The client in Shanghai or New York would simply says they need it back by 3am and that's it

Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Oh really, didn't know that Why Zulu?!
Since I am a translator it would be cool. The client in Shanghai or New York would simply says they need it back by 3am and that's it
Zulu is the word you use to say the letter Z and is part of the Aviation Alphabet approved worldwide by the International Civil Aviation Organization.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
as a senior citizen who can no longer drive into a sunrise or sunset you all can stick it. I show up when I get there period and will give you a good 8 hours and be on my way. this stupid idea of 8 till 5 crap is for the lemmings not me. when the winter comes around here expect me around 9 am, in the summer expect me around 7 am or earlier. that is why I have to be self employed no room for stupidity here

Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
I like the new daylight savings hours, it gives me more day light when I'm up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies