Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:55 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well their isn't much you can do with a coal boiler.. LOL. The designs they are using now go back to the 40's and 50's because they are time tested and most importantly they just work. There's been small modifications over the years to improve small issues but the efficiencies of these units cannot be improved on which is where most heating units are using new tech. One reaches almost 90% from a 50's design which is outstanding for any type of boiler, with the coal anything less and you can't maintain a draft. The only real upgrades over the years has been with the controls, most recent development has been a digital thermostat specifically designed to work with a coal stoker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My Grandmother has this toaster that must be 60 years old if not more, it's the coolest thing because when the toast is done it slowly rises out of the toaster. There's a lot of mechanics involved and I'd imagine it would cost a lot to produce.

She had the same electric stove for about 50 years, finally had to go because the cost of the burners were getting ridiculous.
haha, well I'm not talking specifically coal boilers, but for instance, your mention of grannys toaster. I can point to my grannys blender, weights like 20 some odd pounds, build to endure a bombing raid, I swear. Take that sturdy construction and mate it with digital timers, speed controls, etc..

I think there is a reasonable balance between modern technology and the sturdy construction of yesteryear. I realize that for manufactures they are looking at building things that are designed to last short term, but if the market is available, I suspect there would be a fair number of folks interested even globally.

I'm sure I'm probably way off but it just seems that in a service economy, Bob mows Toms grass and Tom washes Bobs car. Bob buys his sponge from Greece, and Tom buys his mower from Mexico and while they exchange money between them and this is great but ultimately the money is leaving the country.

A society cannot survive without adding wealth by building something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 12:57 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
...I haven't checked yet but isn't visio (or something like that) a computer/tv monitor made in America? I know Zenith moved its last manufacturing plant to Mexico...
Zenith used to be huge in Chicago (and of course big in many places around the world as well as it made radios in the radio era also.) So many of their T.V.'s were made here I rarely saw any other T.V. set in the city until about 1993 or so. The plant closed in 1998. It had 1,200 employees.

A Big Time Hurt: Zenith Closing 10 Years Later | WBEZ

Old 10-31-2010, 01:02 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Zenith used to be huge in Chicago (and of course big in many places around the world as well as it made radios in the radio era also.) So many of their T.V.'s were made here I rarely saw any other T.V. set in the city until about 1993 or so. The plant closed in 1998. It had 1,200 employees.

A Big Time Hurt: Zenith Closing 10 Years Later | WBEZ
Bummer I couldn't get the slide show link to work, I'd be curious to see it

Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 AM

I believe most microprocessors are made here.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:17 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Cash.

Seriously, though, it makes paper. It makes newspapers, and yes, I still read newspapers. I don't own a lot, so...

Hey, how about the food that isn't produced outside the U.S. Canned, frozen, boxed. Very little of that is produced outside the U.S. in my house. I don't eat fish or produce, so there you go.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
...Hey, how about the food that isn't produced outside the U.S. Canned, frozen, boxed. Very little of that is produced outside the U.S. in my house. I don't eat fish or produce, so there you go.
If it is from Europe or South America most of the time it can be trusted.

I would not eat anything from China and most other countries in Asia and in Africa.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 AM

250 posts, read 379,539 times
If I could find quality products at a reasonable price made in America I would go out of my way to buy them. Sadly the only products I find are either terrible quality or so damn expensive it's not worth it.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:25 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I really don't know. The names might be American but that's probably just where the companies are headquartered. I'm looking at a Pepperige Farm cookie thing and it says "Product of U.S.A." on the package. I'm wondering why it needs to identify the product by country if it was made here unless the cookies are also sold and/or made overseas.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
... or so damn expensive it's not worth it.
I usually find the opposite to be true, I'll gladly more for a quality made product. In the long run even if the product is double the price and only lasts you double the time it's worth it. When you buy junk it only leads to problems and headaches.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm wondering why it needs to identify the product by country if it was made here unless the cookies are also sold and/or made overseas.
I believe that's the law. Even if it wasn't a company is going to want to advertise that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies