Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:27 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaOno View Post
Texas is prospering, growing and new business are flocking there. Ca is sinking into it's own morass.
Why wouldn't they. We give out more taxpayer money and breaks for companies to relocate yet we are still 20 billion in debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 08:44 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
No, because not only did the real estate market not implode in Texas as it has throughout California, but Texas has been gaining newcomers while California has been losing residents for several years running, with no end in sight.

California's unemployment rate remains substantially higher than the Lone Star State, and that's not going to change anytime soon as long as Califorbnia continues to be dominated by unions, a stark contrast as opposed to right-to-work states such as Texas, which welcome the entrepreneurial spirit that California used to encourage, but has despised for decades.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why wouldn't they. We give out more taxpayer money and breaks for companies to relocate yet we are still 20 billion in debt.
If Texas gave $20B in taxpayer money to compensate companies to relocate, then $20B would be a temporary "deficit" until payroll taxes start to come in. Thats probably not the situation, but just explaining how one could give money to relocate, run a deficit, and it would be considered an investment because $20B deficit would come back through sales taxes, payroll taxes, etc. Often times they are tax increment financing which means the state borrows on behalf of the businesses, and the businesses pay back the deficits..

Its not an apple to apple comparison in the OP and without knowing the cause of the deficits, its ridiculous to speculate..

Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If Texas gave $20B in taxpayer money to compensate companies to relocate, then $20B would be a temporary "deficit" until payroll taxes start to come in. Thats probably not the situation, but just explaining how one could give money to relocate, run a deficit, and it would be considered an investment because $20B deficit would come back through sales taxes, payroll taxes, etc. Often times they are tax increment financing which means the state borrows on behalf of the businesses, and the businesses pay back the deficits..

Its not an apple to apple comparison in the OP and without knowing the cause of the deficits, its ridiculous to speculate..
Texas doesn't collect a payroll tax, does it? At least i don't think they do. The only way the state gets revenue is sales taxes, property taxes and fees. I don't know how much business or corporate tax they get, but i'm no so sure that those tax breaks for businesses to relocate ever really pays off big. That's always just seemed like a boon for the companies and a rotten deal for the state.

One thing i do know...they tax the hell out of property. Everyone i know that lives there tells me it's brutal.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Texas did better in job creation in some areas, however, Laredo, the Valley and Corpus have been struggling for a long time.

And to conservatives, the only thing that really matters is twisting the truth around.

Perry's Corporate Welfare Shenanigans

"in some areas".

And the ocean is more shallow than a pond in "some areas", but which has more water?

Liberal logic at work.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:21 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
One thing i do know...they tax the hell out of property. Everyone i know that lives there tells me it's brutal.
It's only brutal if you're in a large metro area where people vote idiots into city office who then raise property taxes, I live on 2.5 acres of land in a 2300 sq. foot home and pay about $1500 total in property taxes which I feel is pretty fair since we pay no state income tax.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,611 times
Quote:
Texas doesn't collect a payroll tax, does it? At least i don't think they do.
State franchise tax (recently renamed), federal payroll tax, federal unemployment tax, state unemployment tax, property tax on assets, use tax.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:19 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,704 times
I grew up in the Dallas-Ft Worth area and although I've lived in other parts of the country since then, I have yet to find a place with the same livability trifecta: vibrant economy, low cost of living, and friendly people.

It feels good to finally be back in the lone star state.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Texas doesn't collect a payroll tax, does it? At least i don't think they do. The only way the state gets revenue is sales taxes, property taxes and fees. I don't know how much business or corporate tax they get, but i'm no so sure that those tax breaks for businesses to relocate ever really pays off big. That's always just seemed like a boon for the companies and a rotten deal for the state.

Property taxes is method of Tax increment financing..

Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
After all, their deficits are nearly identical.
unfortunately the deficit is high in most states, but at least in Texas the unemployment rate is not anything like Ca and salaries are going up, not down. There are many ways to measure the success of a state, in almost all, Texas comes out ahead of California. Just can't state a couple of locations and think that proves your point.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies