Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
That last sentence. How horrible of a person are you? Why would you wish for something like that? That's disgusting.

Hate radio has convinced millions of small-minded Americans that their fellow citizens are their enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Has anyone considered the fact that Texas has more military bases than anyone else. this means that there are more active duty, guard,reservist,retirees and other jobs related to the military and therefore they spend more in that state thus helping the economy.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,438 times
I think my last post I overreacted. It's hard to imagine another human being, in the same country no less, wishing for death and destruction on my home state, friends, and family.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Has anyone considered the fact that Texas has more military bases than anyone else. this means that there are more active duty, guard,reservist,retirees and other jobs related to the military and therefore they spend more in that state thus helping the economy.
I'm not sure if that's true on a per capita basis and/or if you are suggesting that federal expenditures are keeping Texas afloat. My initial thought is that naval station states (California, Virgina, Hawaii..) would have just as high a dependence on military spending.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:42 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
True, nowhere is perfect. But DFW is a cultural wasteland. I could live in 2 dozen cities in this country and there would be absolutely no difference from DFW. Me personally, i prefer to live somewhere that doesn't consider Applebee's and Olive Garden to be fine dining and i don't have to hit my garage door opener to remember which house i live in. Not to mention the same lame strip malls with the same tired stores every 5 miles. Bed, Bath, and Beyond anybody? Ugggghhhhh!

Hit me over the head with a 2x4 if you want, but i'll take New Orleans, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, or even Austin (if i just HAD to live in Texas) over DFW.
I agree with you... but I'd add Pittsburgh to my list
and maybe Boston.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:06 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
DFW is terrible, Austin is a one horse town and don't even get me started on San Antonio. Houston is the only city worth living in as far as Texas goes.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
DFW is terrible, Austin is a one horse town and don't even get me started on San Antonio. Houston is the only city worth living in as far as Texas goes.
Houston is the only city worth living in as far as Texas goes?
Really?
I have kids and grand kids in Houston and I can't say that I would ever consider living there..... Oh well, different tastes for different folks.

Why do you say that though? Maybe next time I go there I'll check out what I could be missing that you find so interesting. Thanks...

Old 03-25-2011, 04:39 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
oh yes, everyone understands the huge benefits coming from that high income military demographic with most of them in Iraq, Afghanistan, with more destinations in the cue like Libya ...

How could you possibly think that the one profession most likely to have you leave the country and get killed could be a boost to the local economy

Old 03-25-2011, 04:52 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Austin ... a one horse town? What a moronic statement to make ...

Kiplinger report .... Austin #1 in the 10 best cities for the next decade:

Kiplinger.com

1) Austin, Texas

2) Seattle, Washington

3) Washington DC

4) Boulder, Colo.

5) Salt Lake City, Utah

6) Rochester, Minn

7) Des Moines, Iowa

8) Burlington, Vt

9) West Hartford, Conn.

10) Topeka, Kan.

As for Houston ... if you want to work in Houston, you'd better live near where you work, otherwise, you will spend your life dieing in traffic .... an absolute nightmare. If you're on the east side of Houston at rush hour, it will take you nearly as long to make it to the west side as it takes to drive from Austin ... 175 miles away. I've been in that traffic for 2 1/2 hours ... which is about how long it takes to drive from Austin to Katy/West Houston. Literally dead stopped in every direction with no escape route and moving 10 minutes per mile.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 03-25-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Austin ... a one horse town? What a moronic statement to make ...

Kiplinger report .... Austin #1 in the 10 best cities for the next decade:

Kiplinger.com

1) Austin, Texas

2) Seattle, Washington

3) Washington DC

4) Boulder, Colo.

5) Salt Lake City, Utah

6) Rochester, Minn

7) Des Moines, Iowa

8) Burlington, Vt

9) West Hartford, Conn.

10) Topeka, Kan.

As for Houston ... if you want to work in Houston, you'd better live near where you work, otherwise, you will spend your life dieing in traffic .... an absolute nightmare. If you're on the east side of Houston at rush hour, it will take you nearly as long to make it to the west side as it takes to drive from Austin ... 175 miles away. I've been in that traffic for 2 1/2 hours ... which is about how long it takes to drive from Austin to Katy/West Houston. Literally dead stopped in every direction with no escape route and moving 10 minutes per mile.
Not nearly as moronic as using a list that lumps Austin with Des Moines and Topeka to prove (or in this case disprove) your point. If Austin is a one horse town, the rest of the cities on this list aren't even one of its testicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies