Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I agree that people should not have kids they can not afford but it still does not change that it is meant to live on.
You can't have it both ways, though. You can certainly live on min wage at 40 hours a week if it's just you. But you really can't support a family on that wage unless you work two FT min wage jobs and the other partner is also working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You can't have it both ways, though. You can certainly live on min wage at 40 hours a week if it's just you. But you really can't support a family on that wage unless you work two FT min wage jobs and the other partner is also working.
You can't live on min. wage alone even in most places.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
You can't live on min. wage alone even in most places.
Exactly and that is why it should be enough to live on. We are not just talking about people who made bad decisions and had kids they can not afford making minimum wage we are also talking about singles and couples who who are responsible making it. The minimum wage used to be enough to live on but then prices get getting raised but the minimum wage stayed the same.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
I have 0 interest in reading 17 pages, so I'll simply state this:

In Washington, the minimum wage is pushing 9 dollars an hour. Companies out here do just fine. In fact, we have one of the strongest economies and job markets in the entire country. We also don't pay any more for goods or services than any other place, by and large (and I know, I've lived in a great many places).

Any company that utilizes minimum wage talent as its primary workforce, and who tries to claim that increasing the minimum wage is somehow harming them, falls into one of two categories:

1) The companies that are lying about the hardship or
2) The companies with severely flawed business models

I'm sorry, but if the difference between your success and your failure is whether you have to pay your labor 6 dollars an hour or 7.25, you need to re-evaluate your business.

This is a common sense issue. If you come to me and say "Unions are killing our company"? That's one thing. Odds are you are paying way too much for labor and other perks for your workers. If you come to me and say "that extra 1.25 an hour for 6 employees is killing my business", then all I can say is your business sucks.

If people up here in Washington can pay everybody at least 9 and succeed, than you should be able to pay 7.25

Old 12-31-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Exactly and that is why it should be enough to live on. We are not just talking about people who made bad decisions and had kids they can not afford making minimum wage we are also talking about singles and couples who who are responsible making it. The minimum wage used to be enough to live on but then prices get getting raised but the minimum wage stayed the same.
It depends on geography. Afterall, you're slightly above the poverty level (13k vs. 10k) this is assuming you work 40hrs a week every single week. Typically not enough to live on. Considering that the national rent is about $650 a month, the average person spends $112 for food, then you have utilities, any external medical expenses, gas...What about the unexpected expense? "Nickeled and Dimed" really illustrated this point well.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:32 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
A new study shows that increased minimum wage does not increase unemployment.

Over a 16-year period, the study looked at counties that were located across the border from another county that had a minimum wage increase. Instead of increasing unemployment, the study found that higher wages decreased worker turnover.

Does a Higher Minimum Wage Reduce Jobs?

https://udrive.oit.umass.edu/folbre/...ube_proof2.pdf

Yawn...

"The Institute for New Economic Thinking (INET), launched with a $50 million pledge from George Soros to promote changes in economic theory and practice through research grants, Task Force groups, academic partnerships, and conferences, announced that it has selected Arindrajit Dube of University of Massachusetts, Amherst and Ethan Kaplan of Columbia University to research a spatial approach to macroeconomic inference."

Grant Awarded to Arindrajit Dube and Ethan Kaplan | Institute for New Economic Thinking

About the Institute | Institute for New Economic Thinking

NEXT!

Old 12-31-2010, 01:33 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
The 'raising minimum wage' nay-sayers are those who have an excess of 'extras'. When appreciation for working Americans returns, count on the excess of extras becoming the necessities that these Americans will have. The excesses, owned by these nay-saying, fear mongering, money hoarders will be exterminated. A heavy reduction for government assistance will emerge. A great sense of appreciation among America's 'working' will reintroduce a PROUD American heritage.

Financial fear-mongering is soon to be a thing of the past.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I have 0 interest in reading 17 pages, so I'll simply state this:

In Washington, the minimum wage is pushing 9 dollars an hour. Companies out here do just fine. In fact, we have one of the strongest economies and job markets in the entire country. We also don't pay any more for goods or services than any other place, by and large (and I know, I've lived in a great many places).

Any company that utilizes minimum wage talent as its primary workforce, and who tries to claim that increasing the minimum wage is somehow harming them, falls into one of two categories:

1) The companies that are lying about the hardship or
2) The companies with severely flawed business models

I'm sorry, but if the difference between your success and your failure is whether you have to pay your labor 6 dollars an hour or 7.25, you need to re-evaluate your business.

This is a common sense issue. If you come to me and say "Unions are killing our company"? That's one thing. Odds are you are paying way too much for labor and other perks for your workers. If you come to me and say "that extra 1.25 an hour for 6 employees is killing my business", then all I can say is your business sucks.

If people up here in Washington can pay everybody at least 9 and succeed, than you should be able to pay 7.25
Good post.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 AM

37,126 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I still don't see the point of being able to support yourself on minimum wage. It's for starter jobs, the kind you often have while still in school. Nobody has to move out on their own immediately, with their first unskilled job. That's what roommates are for. Never mind supporting a family, that's just ridiculous. You work, you learn, you do better, you get promotions and raises and prove yourself...THEN you go off and live. The fact that some folks want, or think they NEED, to support themselves with their very first "no experience required" job doesn't mean squat. People want, or think they NEED, many things but it's not reasonable to expect them to get it all.

However, if it did come to that then the minimum wage in CA would be a hell of a lot higher than the minimum wage in Nebraska.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:41 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,034 times
If a study says higher minimum wage does not increase unemployement then the only conclusion that can be made is that the study is flawed; and since the link in the first post links to TheRealNews, which is a communist news source, I have no doubt about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies