Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Real simple folks, if raising the wage of a couple of employees by 50 cents an hour is going to break a company then they were doomed to failure to begin with so there was no real affect. I am sure plenty of you will have an excuse for companies failing to pay their employees a wage that does not even keep up with inflation but in the end that is all they are, excuses.
Casper
but you are not getting it

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$23/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$20/hr
I have a parts manager...$21/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$12
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$10
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$7 (2 over min)

minimum wage is $5

the 'government' raises the mimunum wage to 7.5

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 7.5.. and he will WANT $9 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $9 then the driver (must maintain a clean liciense) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......

I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
...and inflates the prices of goods which leaves those making minimum wage in the EXACT SAME position. Why is THAT not added into the studies and attempted conjecture.
Actually in a worse position because the minimum wage increase gives companies the perfect excuse to add additional profit margins during the increase to which they can simply reply with "oh sorry, we had to in order to afford the minimum wage increase".

I remember working minimum wage jobs when I was younger. California was the "leader" in this foolishness. I lived in a smaller town (100k) and each time the minimum wage was increased, the cost of products would increase as well over a period. The result was that each time the increase occurred, my money would buy less and less than it did before. I used to get really angry every time the idiots talked about increases.

In one years increase, I went from being able to afford a single apartment myself, pay for food and basic expenses and live within my means to having to have 2-3 roommates and struggling as I had to live on extreme minimums to get by. I used to watch prices closely at each increase and document it so when the pompus fools in my town spewed off about their compassion, I would show them how their emotional thinking and good intentions simply crapped on the people they thought they were helping.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And what do you do with them once you have them and you lose your job and have to settle for a minimum wage job?

Give them back?
You're not supposed to let it happen to begin with. Or, if you cannot be a good parent and provide adequate support for your children, you put them first and let someone adopt them.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Must be rainbows and unicorns every day in your world. I guess where you live people with children don't get laid off or otherwise lose their jobs. Is that a law there?

Where the rest of us live, this is happening:

"The share of residents in poverty climbed to 14.3 percent in 2009, the highest level recorded since 1994. The rise was steepest for children, with one in five affected, the bureau said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/17/us/17poverty.html

Veterans of recent wars confront grim employment landscape

Darn those military people having kids while getting a pay check from government. What ever were they thinking?

yes people get laidoff, especially in a recession

but you find work, you IMPROVE YOURSELF, make your SELF MORE MARKETABLE

even as a teenybopper, I NEVER worked minimum wage........white castle paid $1 more than mimnimum

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED workers

the more the governmnet sets a minimum wage, the more you will find people STUCK at it

get the government out of areas where it should never be

Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Real simple folks, if raising the wage of a couple of employees by 50 cents an hour is going to break a company then they were doomed to failure to begin with so there was no real affect. I am sure plenty of you will have an excuse for companies failing to pay their employees a wage that does not even keep up with inflation but in the end that is all they are, excuses.
Casper
Obviously you have no experience in owning a business or at the very least, running labor to meet your budget. It's usually not a couple of employees who are affected, it's in the tens at least, and that's 50 cents per hour for each hour worked. It adds up to more than just a few bucks a day.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You're not supposed to let it happen to begin with. Or, if you cannot be a good parent and provide adequate support for your children, you put them first and let someone adopt them.
Seriously?
So all of the people who've lost their jobs in the last three years could have forced their employers to keep them.
Please, please, please tell us how this works - clearly this right here is the answer to the high unemployment rate.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes people get laidoff, especially in a recession

but you find work, you IMPROVE YOURSELF, make your SELF MORE MARKETABLE

even as a teenybopper, I NEVER worked minimum wage........white castle paid $1 more than mimnimum

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED workers

the more the governmnet sets a minimum wage, the more you will find people STUCK at it

get the government out of areas where it should never be
Right, like these people:

"The new wave of theme park job seekers increasingly includes white-collar workers, such as office managers, loan processors, sales associates and restaurant managers, according to hiring supervisors at several parks. Being overqualified doesn't rule people out for getting hired, they said."
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar...obs5-2010mar05

Old 12-30-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Seriously?
So all of the people who've lost their jobs in the last three years could have forced their employers to keep them.
Please, please, please tell us how this works - clearly this right here is the answer to the high unemployment rate.
You are harping far too much on one aspect of the discussion. I have to go to work now so I don't have time to argue with you about this, but when I get back, I still will not argue about it b/c it's taking the thread off topic.

I will say, though, I have no idea what you're talking about with this post.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Seriously?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/business/12yec.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/bu...al/04WORK.html

Unemployed workers launching their own businesses during downturn - Kingsport Times-News Online

Work from Home Solutions for Unemployed Boomers and Seniors

Pizza Delivery The Dave Ramsey Way

I'll tell you what...I wouldn't wait around for someone to 'fix the problem' for me. This country was built by pioneers and business owners who seized opportunity and made their lives despite the obstacles and setbacks. And that's what we all need to do, too.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Obviously you have no experience in owning a business or at the very least, running labor to meet your budget. It's usually not a couple of employees who are affected, it's in the tens at least, and that's 50 cents per hour for each hour worked. It adds up to more than just a few bucks a day.
Wrong again, I owned a business for over ten years and sold it a few years back for a very nice profit. I did not have any employees making minimum wage so the debate never affected me. If someone is running a business where the employees are making less than $5 per hour I would call it a sweat shop. Once again if your payroll budget cannot pay a couple of dollars a week to a few employees then they were are shakey ground to begin with. Some business owners believe in hiring quality employees and you cannot get the best by paying $5 per hour, even my admin made $20 per hour and she was worth every penny I paid her, and she was the lowest paid employee I had.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies