Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but you are not getting it

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$23/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$20/hr
I have a parts manager...$21/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$12
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$10
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$7 (2 over min)

minimum wage is $5

the 'government' raises the mimunum wage to 7.5

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 7.5.. and he will WANT $9 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $9 then the driver (must maintain a clean liciense) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......

I
So, according to you you cannot give those making $7 per hour a 50 cent raise but wuld have to give them $9 per hour because that is what they really want? Sorry that is not how I would run a business, give them what they deserve and since they are all making more than the minimum it is not an issue for you. Sorry but your logic just does not fly.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You are harping far too much on one aspect of the discussion. I have to go to work now so I don't have time to argue with you about this, but when I get back, I still will not argue about it b/c it's taking the thread off topic.

I will say, though, I have no idea what you're talking about with this post.
Well, that doesn't surprise me in the least.
You said that people should not have lost their jobs to begin with. Pretty straightforward statement.
I'm wondering how you think they were supposed to keep that from happening. Also a pretty straightforward statement.

The reality is that all kinds of people are now working minimum wage jobs just to survive and feed their families through no fault of their own, a point seemingly lost on you and many other posters.
What I expect, if the OP's link is accurate, is that a lot more people will be working for minimum wage, not so much because it doesn't increase unemployment but because companies can get away with not paying a living wage.
This will of course ultimately prove the OP's link true (and may be what we are already seeing), since when more people start working for minimum wage, the unemployment rate will by default go down.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,976 times
Default And other studies, even government studies suggest the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
A new study shows that increased minimum wage does not increase unemployment.

Over a 16-year period, the study looked at counties that were located across the border from another county that had a minimum wage increase. Instead of increasing unemployment, the study found that higher wages decreased worker turnover.

Does a Higher Minimum Wage Reduce Jobs?

https://udrive.oit.umass.edu/folbre/...ube_proof2.pdf

Other studies, even those done by the government suggest the opposite.

Below is a government study and several others that state the opposite.

The Case Against a Higher Minimum Wage (http://www.house.gov/jec/cost-gov/regs/minimum/against/against.htm - broken link)

Does The Minimum Wage Increase Unemployment?

Minimum Wage Increase and Teen Unemployment - WSJ.com

Why the Minimum Wage Hurts Everyone and Causes Unemployment (http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-the-Minimum-Wage-Hurts-Everyone-and-Causes-Unemployment&id=4051503 - broken link)

South-Western: Increase in the Minimum Wage

Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
This is America....not China.

Lots of those people work really hard for almost nothing and have to struggle daily just to survive. It certainly isn't a financial role model for rest the world.....much less America.
Your post is completely irrelevant and pointless. My numbers are very easily doable in the USA

Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You said that people should not have lost their jobs to begin with. Pretty straightforward statement.
I'm wondering how you think they were supposed to keep that from happening. Also a pretty straightforward statement.

The reality is that all kinds of people are now working minimum wage jobs just to survive and feed their families through no fault of their own, a point seemingly lost on you and many other posters.
What I expect, if the OP's link is accurate, is that a lot more people will be working for minimum wage, not so much because it doesn't increase unemployment but because companies can get away with not paying a living wage.
This will of course ultimately prove the OP's link true (and may be what we are already seeing), since when more people start working for minimum wage, the unemployment rate will by default go down.
So what should minimum wage be set to cover? What is a 'living' wage? Why should anyone be paid according to their needs? I need to take care of my aging parents, wife, wife's aging parents, kids, nieces, nephews, neighbors friend's dog, etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:05 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
So what should minimum wage be set to cover? What is a 'living' wage? Why should anyone be paid according to their needs? I need to take care of my aging parents, wife, wife's aging parents, kids, nieces, nephews, neighbors friend's dog, etc.
Well we could use it to cover the popping Real estate bubble.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

you still dont get it

the FEDERAL government should not be setting a minimum wage

1. its unconstitutional
2. they can never set it for ALL

a 'living' wage here in new york would be around $25/hr MINIMUM... yet you could 'live' like a king on that in mississippi, or probably new mexico for that rate

its just like the FEDERAL government saying that earning 250k is rich...maybe down south it is, but here in new york that's middleclass

Old 12-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Default in all actuality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So, according to you you cannot give those making $7 per hour a 50 cent raise but wuld have to give them $9 per hour because that is what they really want? Sorry that is not how I would run a business, give them what they deserve and since they are all making more than the minimum it is not an issue for you. Sorry but your logic just does not fly.
Casper
If you raise the minumum wage, it artifically inflates the wages of those making the minumum, and if you do not raise the wages of those making more than the minimum, it deflates their wages. That's what the other person was telling you.

If you make $ 9.00 an hour, and the Minimum wage is $7.50, and they raise the minimum wage to $9.00 an hour, are you going to expect that you are going to get a raise??

Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
If you raise the minumum wage, it artifically inflates the wages of those making the minumum, and if you do not raise the wages of those making more than the minimum, it deflates their wages. That's what the other person was telling you. And what I was saying is that it does not do so and their example did not pass the test of logic. It would be the same as saying that because I got a better raise than you through normal raise processes that somehow you are making less than you were, there is zero logic in that thinking.

If you make $ 9.00 an hour, and the Minimum wage is $7.50, and they raise the minimum wage to $9.00 an hour, are you going to expect that you are going to get a raise??
The answer is no, no one should expect a raise simply because someone else is now making minimum wages.
One more comment in general, there is a big difference between a minimum wage and a living wage, we are discussing the affects of minimum wage and its impact or lack there of on unemployment.
Casper

Old 12-30-2010, 02:09 PM

Default Now we get the 1 of the problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The answer is no, no one should expect a raise simply because someone else is now making minimum wages.
One more comment in general, there is a big difference between a minimum wage and a living wage, we are discussing the affects of minimum wage and its impact or lack there of on unemployment.
Casper
So what has happened is your wages which were $1.50 an hour more than minimum wage, is now artificially deflated because of the increasing of someone elses wages.

This causes many people problems, especially employers of smaller businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies