Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
So what has happened is your wages which were $1.50 an hour more than minimum wage, is now artificially deflated because of the increasing of someone elses wages.

This causes many people problems, especially employers of smaller businesses.
Once again, no it does not. Your buying power (the worth of your money) remained exactly the same as it had been before someone else has had their pay raised to met the new standard. After that raises should be based on merit only.
Let me ask you this if we both work at a firm and I went in and asked for a raise and was granted one, do you now make less or do you demand you get a raise also. I think not.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 05:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
A new study shows that increased minimum wage does not increase unemployment.

Over a 16-year period, the study looked at counties that were located across the border from another county that had a minimum wage increase. Instead of increasing unemployment, the study found that higher wages decreased worker turnover.

Does a Higher Minimum Wage Reduce Jobs?

https://udrive.oit.umass.edu/folbre/...ube_proof2.pdf
If an employer has to pay more to his employees, what will he do? Charge more for the goods produced? I do think so.

If he does not have the money to pay higher wages, what are some of his choices? Fire some employees? Decrease product quality? Invest less in business? Don't we all cut on spending in our family life when we have less money for whatever reason? Despite all the economic theories out there the bottom line is that if a business has less money because it has to pay higher wages SOMEONE will pay the price SOMEWHERE, take care.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Once again, no it does not. Your buying power (the worth of your money) remained exactly the same as it had been before someone else has had their pay raised to met the new standard. After that raises should be based on merit only.
Let me ask you this if we both work at a firm and I went in and asked for a raise and was granted one, do you now make less or do you demand you get a raise also. I think not.
Casper
Not the same as a mandated increase in min wage especially for hourly workers.

White collar is a whole n'other ballgame when it comes to raises.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
At&t.

Minimum wage is $8.25 in Illinois.

About 3 hours of minimum wage pay (minus taxes) pays for a month of internet. I do not see how it is impossible to afford.
Only if you need to pay rent, utilities, and some food. Hopefully you don't have kids. I think that the internet would be way down on the list of priorities with a minimum wage job unless you are a kid living at home.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Now you are throwing a curveball. One person can easily get by on minimum wage.

But in many cases even a family can because such a low level of income qualifies a family for all kinds of things like Section 8,Food Stamps,no charge at health clinics,etc...

Stop making assumptions about people. You do not know what I have been through in the past or what I might be going through right now.
and where would that be?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes I have seen adults at fastfood...and they are making MORE than mininum wage BTW
Yes, my daughters friend just got their raise from McDonalds and it was 3 cents an hour. Now he can proudly say that he doesn't make minimum wage.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
A new study shows that increased minimum wage does not increase unemployment.

Over a 16-year period, the study looked at counties that were located across the border from another county that had a minimum wage increase. Instead of increasing unemployment, the study found that higher wages decreased worker turnover.

Government has no business telling employers what to pay workers.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Dial-up Internet can be had for less than $10/month.

Shared rooms including utilities can be had for $300 in most cities. One may have to commute further, but they're available.

Cooking food for a month for one person can be done for well under $100. Especially if you shop frugally.

Transportation varies but as an example, a 30 day card in NYC runs $100.

As far as raising a family on minimum wage, what constitutes a family? Why are people starting families while making $7/hour? Doesn't seem like sound financial sense. Should minimum wage be enough so that a family of four can live with one income? Maybe a family of six? Who decides?
and where can all this be had?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You're not supposed to let it happen to begin with. Or, if you cannot be a good parent and provide adequate support for your children, you put them first and let someone adopt them.
You are kidding, right?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:00 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,469 times
I am tired of this discussion. I wouldn't be surprised if doing away with minimum wage increases hiring (but has nothing to do with the unemployment rate) since people would be forced to work two and three jobs to survive. Personally, I am not an advocate of slavery. This whole minimum wage debate is nothing more but an attempt to keep the rich, rich and the poor, poor. With inflation, the minimum wage should move. Otherwise, the income inequality gap just continues to widen. I don't care what the study says, the time after WWII, often referred to as "The Golden Years" was a time where the minimum wage as considered livable, the rich paid more taxes and the middle class thrived. I am not in favor of letting the greedy make more decisions in favor of greed. They don't care about the middle class and the poor don't exist to them. As long as greed is driving us, we are headed down a path of self-destruction and no one, not the rich, not the middle class, nor the poor will be able to avoid it. It wil be quite interesting when the mcmansion crowd who thinks they're wealthy feel that hard slap from the hand of reality. It was these types who became delusional, delirious and suicidal during the Great Depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies