Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:38 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,316,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
And what percentage of that 72% are the tax payers paying for? My guess is it would be around 95-100%.

You'd be wrong the povety rate for Black Amerians is about 26%.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,294,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have more respect for an African American Mother who is struggling with the effects of how the African American family was destroyed by racism, and still working through the effects slavery on the family unit, than an illlegal Mexican Mother who came here simply to breed for benefits, and have anchor babies. Which minority has earned the right to be considered Amercian? Which minority has suffered for equality in the country? Which one should be given more consideration for jobs and resources? I know my answer....
I'd have to know what the kids ended up doing to call that one, since that is the biggest issue.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'll wager that out of wedlock births are higher where there are few jobs for men to begin with. Why are half of Black males unemployed in cities like Milwaulkee and NYC? Black males have long been heavily concentrated in manufacturing work. Those jobs are declining in America which hurts Blacks males more.

Also take into account some degree of job discrimination affecting Black males job prospects. I see one needed solution to this is an increase in Black business ownership. I don't think Black-Americans as a group have put enough empahsis on entreprenurship since the 70's. We've put more emphasis on getting jobs instead of creating jobs for ourselves.
Actually the ownership of businesses owned by Black Americans has increased significantly since the 1970's.

Also by the comments made by most of the people in this thread it's obvious most have NO IDEA about this problem or the social dynamics amongst Black Americans which leads to large numbers of children being born out of wedlock.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM

774 posts, read 1,166,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
We all make choices and those choices have consequences. I detest the concept that the pregnancy of these women are somehow "beyond their control" and that they are simply poor victims of some horrible power that is determined to keep them in poverty.

They need to say NO when someone offers to have sex with them out of wedlock. It's very simple. I've said it many times and probably so have most of the decent women on this message board. No. As far as I know, every language has the equivalent in their lexicon. Even the African American community.

20yrsinBranson
I, too, detest the fact the many of these young black girls are really babies having babies. What you apparently don't understand is the psychology of urban poverty and all that comes with it. If you did, would understand that "just say no" does not work for a young girl who is looking for acceptance and male love...not sex, but the type of love and acceptance that should come from a father. Since the father is missing, the next best source for that acceptance is a male. For young black girls living in the reality of (multi-generational) urban poverty (social and economic) "just say no" is anything but simple.

If you look at Maslow's Needs Hierarchy,(MASLOW'S HIERARCHY OF NEEDS the need for Love, Affection and Belongingness, and the need for Esteem are #3 and #4 on the list. Those human needs trump any logical extension of reasoning that, on an intellectual level, she can and should just say "no". Someone alluded to the need for Love and Acceptance in an earlier post. If you don't get it at home, you'll get it in the streets.

I don't disagree with the concept of "just say no". It just that it rarely works in these circumstances and conditions. Human needs trump intellectual reasoning and societal norms.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have seen some evidence of this. Tutoring in low income schools opens your eyes. Imagine a 15 year old girl whose mother is not even twice her age and whose grandmother is more of a mother than the mother herself.
And these kids think that's the norm..that's how life is. If they know no better, how can anything about them improve ?
It won't and there is nothing you can do about it. As much as anything else this is cultural issue. Simply put this is how people chose to live their lives. Nothing will change until there is a motivation for it to change.

Also the issue isn't solely one of people getting government assistance. There are plently of women who get no government assistance whatsoever yet have children out of wedlock. There are women across all educational and/or income levels where this situation exists.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually the ownership of businesses owned by Black Americans has increased significantly since the 1970's.
Compared to other groups Black-American business ownership is lower. For example Dr.Claude Anderson broke this down on a video that can be found on youtube:

Asians-1 out of every 10 Asians are in business.

Whites-1 out of every 34 whites are in business.

Latinos-1 out of every 54 Latinos are in business.

Black-Americans-1 out of every 104 Blacks are in business.

I remember reading where even in mostly Black cities like Detroit and DC Asians own more businesses than Black-Americans.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Compared to other groups Black-American business ownership is lower. For example Dr.Claude Anderson broke this down on a video that can be found on youtube:

Asians-1 out of every 10 Asians are in business.

Whites-1 out of every 34 whites are in business.

Latinos-1 out of every 54 Latinos are in business.

Black-Americans-1 out of every 104 Blacks are in business.

I remember reading where even in mostly Black cities like Detroit and DC Asians own more businesses than Black-Americans.
Minority groups' share of $10 trillion U.S. consumer market is growing steadily, according to annual buying power study from Terry College's Selig Center for Economic Growth

Quote:
The gains in black buying power reflect more than just population growth and consumer inflation, Humphreys said. He also pointed to the increasing number of blacks who are starting their own businesses. As evidence, he cited Census data released since his last buying power study that showed the number of black-owned businesses increased 45 percent from 1997 to 2002, far exceeding the 10 percent increase in the overall number of U.S. businesses. Black buying power grew 165 percent from 1990 ($318 billion) to 2007 ($845 billion). That compares with 134 percent growth in disposable income for the total population.

http://www.america.gov/st/diversity-...0.3369257.html

States see black business boom: growth of African American enterprises outpaces national average. - Free Online Library

Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 PM

38,074 posts, read 22,234,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate
Ap National Writer – Sat Nov 6, 3:25 pm ET

HOUSTON – One recent day at Dr. Natalie Carroll's OB-GYN practice, located inside a low-income apartment complex tucked between a gas station and a freeway, 12 pregnant black women come for consultations. Some bring their children or their mothers. Only one brings a husband.

Seventy-two percent of black babies are born to unmarried mothers today, according to government statistics. This number is inseparable from the work of Carroll, an obstetrician who has dedicated her 40-year career to helping black women.

Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101106/ap_on_re_us/us_unwed_births72_percent - broken link)
If I assume those numbers are correct, its just terrible. No society can survive with that high of a rate of out of wedlock births. How does that many bastard children do anything but destroy the community? What the hell happened?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If I assume those numbers are correct, its just terrible. No society can survive with that high of a rate of out of wedlock births. How does that many bastard children do anything but destroy the community? What the hell happened?
Why do you care? I mean really. This has been going on for quite some time. There is really NOTHING new in this information. In fact the out wedlock birth rate for this demographic has been this way about then years.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,484,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Nothing going on with Black Americans damages YOUR SOCIETY. It damages THEIR SOCIETY. It's up to the people who perpetuate this behavior to change it. There is nothing anybody but these people can do to change or resolve this issue.
I agree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.