Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times

Advertisements

Due to the healthcare legislation and it's cost it's putting on the insurance companies, they are passing the cost onto us. They're further cutting cost by requiring working spouses to switch over to their employer's health insurance instead of the couple going onto the same policy. Thank you Obama, Pelosi, and the rest of the Democratic Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 09:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Due to the healthcare legislation and it's cost it's putting on the insurance companies, they are passing the cost onto us. They're further cutting cost by requiring working spouses to switch over to their employer's health insurance instead of the couple going onto the same policy. Thank you Obama, Pelosi, and the rest of the Democratic Party.
I think you need a working Sextant there Mr Sailorman. You appear so lost.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Mine for my husband and me alone has gone up 20% on his employer's plan already. I shudder to think what's going to happen if I have to switch to my employer's insurance b/c my employer doesn't offer insurance to people at my pay grade. I have not heard about this, though, do you have a link?

Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
My insurance went from $1700 a month (family HMO plan) to a little over $2K a month. I had to drop it and switch to a cheaper insurance ($1350/month EPO) with much bigger deductibles (went from $20 to $45 for an OV.)

EmblemHealth states that PPACA was the 2nd reason for the increase. The third reason was a minimal increase due to Timothy's Law in NYS. The first reason was 'basic increase for the type of plan'.

I do not know why employers should have to supply health insurance. People should be paying for it on their own much like car, homeowners, renters insurance, etc.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think you need a working Sextant there Mr Sailorman. You appear so lost.
You can always tell those who dont have to pay for their own insurance, they are the ones attacking those discussing the ramifications of the changes passed by Obama...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My insurance went from $1700 a month (family HMO plan) to a little over $2K a month. I had to drop it and switch to a cheaper insurance ($1350/month EPO) with much bigger deductibles (went from $20 to $45 for an OV.)

EmblemHealth states that PPACA was the 2nd reason for the increase. The third reason was a minimal increase due to Timothy's Law in NYS. The first reason was 'basic increase for the type of plan'.

I do not know why employers should have to supply health insurance. People should be paying for it on their own much like car, homeowners, renters insurance, etc.
Employers dont have to supply health insurance, it was a plan thought up by unions though.. Another Democratic idea to "help", when all it did was hurt...

Many in america only need catastrophic insurance, but Democrats again have made that increasingly difficult to acquire..

Old 11-09-2010, 01:30 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,337 times
The best way to lower the cost of health insurance to make more procedures subject to a co-pay and raise it to $100 minimum. Also, every policy should have a $2500 deductible before insurance kicks in 100%.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:41 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You can always tell those who dont have to pay for their own insurance, they are the ones attacking those discussing the ramifications of the changes passed by Obama...

Employers dont have to supply health insurance, it was a plan thought up by unions though.. Another Democratic idea to "help", when all it did was hurt...

Many in america only need catastrophic insurance, but Democrats again have made that increasingly difficult to acquire..
I pay for my own insurance. Speak for yourself, please. Nevermind. Your opinion is probably the opinion of "most americans" who "all agree" with "whatever I say" today. Great post, OP. I know you're working hard on the reverse troll thing. Make 'em think your message is so off, that the only thing they have left is....Obama. You just can't beat that.

Please post link that shows that Dems make insurance harder to afford.
Thanks.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:54 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Were your rates going down the last few years? Mine sure weren't

It's not like the Health Insurance Companies only started to screw us when "Obamacare" passed. It's just a convenient excuse for employers and Insurers.

Rates have been rising every year for decades. Insurers have a long history of denying every claim they can… there's a reason Healthcare Insurance companies make billions and billions a year, and it's not because they like to pay out.

President Obama's healthcare reform is far from perfect, in my opinion, it didn't go far enough. "Mandates" without a public option was doomed from the start, and lead times on new laws just gave Insurers extra time to extra-screw everyone they could before they have to start complying with the new regs.

The bad economy is making things worse. Many companies, including my wife's employer, a large Ivy League College, are cutting benefits and raising costs to trim the College's budget. This comes after a few rounds of layoffs, early retirements, reorganizations, etc.

It has nothing to do with Obamacare, but the number of times I've heard the phrase… "Yeah, my health insurance went up, Thanks Obama" is startling.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:54 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Ins rates will rise, no surprise, they have been for quite some time. Some information may help people, rather than wild speculation and individual "observations".

Workers' health insurance costs for 2011 include higher premiums and co-payments

Old 11-09-2010, 03:01 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,814,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Were your rates going down the last few years? Mine sure weren't

It has nothing to do with Obamacare, but the number of times I've heard the phrase… "Yeah, my health insurance went up, Thanks Obama" is startling.
Obamacare hasn't changed the trend though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies