Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,553,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As I said, there is a big difference between family and friends on the one hand and strangers on the other. A difference that is neglected by the rather naive Christian attitude.
Regarding our example, I cannot forgive a rapist, only the victim can. And some things cannot be forgiven at all, for instance murders, as the only ones who could forgive are dead.
Ok, fine. You can go right ahead and make excuses for your unwillingness to love others all you like. It's no skin off my nose.

As for me, I think I'll continue doing what Jesus told us to do in the Second Greatest Commandment: Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

That's pretty clear and unambiguous to me. No qualifiers, no "but's," no "however's," no pre-conditions, no standards to meet first, no differences between family and strangers; just love everybody.

It's really pretty easy once you get past yourself as the final judge, jury and executioner of others.

Have a nice day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,780,801 times
Actually, some linguists say that the word love is a wrong translation, originally it said respect...
Apart from that, I guess that commandment is based on the assumption that the neighbor is a good person, not a criminal or whatever
Finally, I am not Christian, so what Jesus is supposed to have said is not relevant to me anyway.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,613,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
If the US is a christian nation why is their so much social and economic inequality in the country why dont the majority of christains speak for the rights of the poor rather than worshiping profits and materialism this is espacially trur for the christian conservatives who are anti poor and profit worshipers.
Either we are not a Christian Nation and then these things you mentioned are inherently explained. Or we are a Christian Nation, but deeply flawed. We can't have this thing both ways you know.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Actually, some linguists say that the word love is a wrong translation, originally it said respect...
I don't know what linguist's you've been talking to, but they're wrong.

The Greek word used in Matthew 22:39 (the source of my quote) is the word "agapao," usually translated into English as "agape."

The technical meaning of the word is this (according to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible):

agapao (agape)---
1) of persons
a) to welcome, to entertain, to be fond of, to love dearly

Normally, it's used to denote a love which is without pre-condition, without expectation of anything in return. A love which is pure, undefiled and perpetual, which nothing can stop. It is the same kind of love which God has for us. The Greeks had several words for love meaning different things in different settings, but that's another subject. Suffice it to say that Agapao (agape) is the word used here.

Quote:
Apart from that, I guess that commandment is based on the assumption that the neighbor is a good person, not a criminal or whatever
No, it's not. It is based purely upon the idea that every person is deserving of our love, no matter what they've done. Again, it's the same kind of love God has for us. And, again, the human example is the kind of love you have for your children. Who among us, except the most cold-hearted, will ever stop loving our children, no matter what?

Quote:
Finally, I am not Christian, so what Jesus is supposed to have said is not relevant to me anyway.
That's why you can't love that way. True, agapao love is impossible to the unregenerate human being because it's an effect of the presence of the Holy Spirit, which is the defining characteristic of those who have placed their faith and trust in Christ.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Either we are not a Christian Nation and then these things you mentioned are inherently explained. Or we are a Christian Nation, but deeply flawed. We can't have this thing both ways you know.

How many nations can you name which are NOT deeply flawed? Or, Christian's for that matter!

Perhaps we're trying to apply too tough a standard, expecting too much, supposing that others are capable of doing that which we, ourselves, cannot or will not do.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:49 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,742,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Maybe if the people who go to church, but feel no love beyond their own selfish hearts, were to become real Christians things would change.
A nation cannot be 'Christian', unless that 'nation' resides in heaven. You can talk about percentages of people within a nation, who profess to be Christian, but only on the day of judgement will it be revealed exactly who is or is not.

'For the Son of Man is going to return, in the glory of His Father, with His angels, and will then recompense every man according to his deeds."

Matt 16:27

Old 11-18-2010, 01:59 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,780,801 times
Not only is the Greek interpretation not clear, Jesus didn't even speak Greek. How knows what he has actually said let alone meant in Aramaic, which is infamous for its chewing gum properties.

Frankly, either Jesus was nuts when he said what he is supposed to have said, or people are nuts who interpret his words in that way
Again, you bring the children in here. My neighbor is not my child. If my child steals something from me, I tell them it is wrong and forgive them. If my neighbor does it, I might sue him.

Yeah, keep fooling yourself into believing there is any difference between Christians and atheists. I prefer to direct my imagination towards more meaningful and productive things...

Old 11-18-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Not only is the Greek interpretation not clear, Jesus didn't even speak Greek. How knows what he has actually said let alone meant in Aramaic, which is infamous for its chewing gum properties.

Frankly, either Jesus was nuts when he said what he is supposed to have said, or people are nuts who interpret his words in that way
Again, you bring the children in here. My neighbor is not my child. If my child steals something from me, I tell them it is wrong and forgive them. If my neighbor does it, I might sue him.

Yeah, keep fooling yourself into believing there is any difference between Christians and atheists. I prefer to direct my imagination towards more meaningful and productive things...

Ok. Have a nice day.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:23 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,122,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Of course believing in Christ results in change, but that change is in the heart, not necessarily in outward actions. We're all just like Paul: We do the things we don't want to do and find that the things we want to do most, we don't do. If Paul struggled with such things, what makes any of us believe we can won't?

Most people get it wrong. They think changing behavior results in salvation when, in fact, it is salvation which results in a change of heart and the one change of heart which is most visible, most indicative of true salvation (and hence, a true Christian), is the ability to love without exception, without pre-condition and without any expectation of something in return.
Well said.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,613,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How many nations can you name which are NOT deeply flawed? Or, Christian's for that matter!

Perhaps we're trying to apply too tough a standard, expecting too much, supposing that others are capable of doing that which we, ourselves, cannot or will not do.
I took a phone call at the time I typed my post. So, I'm not sure that came out right.

imho, the United States standards, have been on a decline, in the area of honesty, integrity and respect. The Christian principles have been thrown out the door.

We are not the same country my father fought for in 1942. He would split something if he were alive today.

If you know the prophecies though, then you know, that the world, not just the United States, well the decline is expected, that's all.

People are right, we are not a Christian Nation. I believe at one time we did have men and women who ran this country with their hearts in the right place. That knew that in order to obtain the highest level of integrity there are some things a person just does not do.

However, we can not say that we are not a Christian Nation but then expect Christian quality principles to suddenly emerge. Because to me, that just doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies