Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 05:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,758,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Rich have stolen 40% of our economy and you can do nothing but condemn those with less than you.
And they did it through the government no less.
Sanctioned redistribution of wealth from taxpayers to the elite.

I say the elite because it's a very small circle at the top that continue to reap the financial rewards bestowed on them by government programs and contracts.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,193,938 times
poverty programs in us history - Google Search

1900 - Some 40 percent of Americans lived in poverty in 1900, a higher percentage than in the Great Depression of the 1930s.

1900 - In 1900, America was a 'third world' country, half a century before the term was invented. We were a 'third world' nation: child labor was widespread, poverty was widespread, 14 hour workdays, 10-year-olds working in factories for 14 hours seven days a week, no ...A few church soup kitchens and charities, maybe. No social benefits. Typhoid epidemics in our major cities. Tuberculosis and other diseases of poverty. No public housing or public health ...

Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,285,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Rich have stolen 40% of our economy and you can do nothing but condemn those with less than you.
Who has condemned anyone? Certainly not I. That said. The rich that you gross about also tend to build the businesses that employ much of the middle class. That would mean that they do in fact contribute. Now those poor that you are concerned about tend to contribute far less than they take.
This is a fact.
Now in all fairness poor simply have less ability to contribute. But whose fault is it?
Did the rich go around robbing people as they slept or simply take advantage of the programs the Gov made available? Isn't that what poor people do also?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:59 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,143,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Have you raised kids? I certainly wouldn't have another baby for the palry amount of money you get from welfare for an additional child.

Renters (who can be rich or poor) do pay property tax indirectly through their rent. In fact, some states give a tax credit to renters for property tax paid. You think the landlord eats that? Think again.
I don't have kids yet but I don't think you can liken yourself to the welfare folk who subsist on handouts based on how many kids they have. EVERYTHING (except maybe section 8, I don't know much about that) is based on the number of children...food stamps, tax credits, cash assistance, each kid gets Medicaid. You can't (hopefully) compare yourself to the people who perpetrate the fraud.

I'm a landlord and I am responsible for the property taxes. You could say the renters are paying them indirectly, I suppose, but you can't really look at it that way. The landlord gets to charge whatever he wants for the property and then he is responsible for paying the taxes each year and also taking the write-off on his income taxes.

Florida at least does not give any kind of tax credit for renters who pay property taxes...which they don't, or at least not that I've ever come across. That doesn't even make sense considering the landlord gets the write-off for the property taxes when he files each year. In my experience, only commercial renters have to pay property taxes and thus write them off, but that's a whole different thing since it's a business expense and is included in the gross rent. Okay that is way too much detail but suffice it to say that you can't really say that renters are paying taxes via the property taxes on their rent. (Besides, ultimately, it's up to the landlord to pay the taxes, if he doesn't, it's his butt on the line, not the renter's.)

Old 11-19-2010, 06:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,285,136 times
Quote:

1900 - Some 40 percent of Americans lived in poverty in 1900, a higher percentage than in the Great Depression of the 1930s.

1900 - In 1900, America was a 'third world' country, half a century before the term was invented. We were a 'third world' nation: child labor was widespread, poverty was widespread, 14 hour workdays, 10-year-olds working in factories for 14 hours seven days a week, no ...A few church soup kitchens and charities, maybe. No social benefits. Typhoid epidemics in our major cities. Tuberculosis and other diseases of poverty. No public housing or public health ...
In 110 years we have figured out what causes those epidemics. It had less to do with lack of money and more to do with sanitation issues.
Child labor laws protect children today.
We can claim that without social programs that our society might collapse but its doubtful.
Many countries that I have been to don't have our elaborate systems and safety nets and somehow they don't have streets piled high in dead bodies. What they do have is a very independant population. They have problems no doubt about it but dead people in the streets would not be one of them.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,143,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Sorry but adults don't belong working in fast food restaurants. Before we gave all our jobs to Asia, fast food is where all the teenagers worked. Now poor adults have to take anything they can find so they get stuck in fast food.
BTW how many entry level jobs did you work in your lifetime?
I can list off about 4 or 5 different people off the top of my head who are quite well-off after having gotten a start in fast food. One guy who started at a burger chain now owns all the rights to a full-service restaurant in one particular state. I have no idea about his pay structure but let's just say he's quite comfortable now.

FWIW, I agree that the minimum wage fast food jobs should be reserved for teens. However, when push comes to shove, the adults should be applying for and taking these jobs at this point in time. What's the alternative? They may start at the counter or dropping the fry basket but with some motivation, they can move into management and perhaps have their own stores one day. People seem to forget that fact. You may not be so proud to say "I'm a cashier at McDonald's" but I bet you'd be proud of saying "I own all the McDonald's in (city)" or "I'm the GM of the McDonald's over on (street)."

Old 11-19-2010, 06:06 PM

943 posts, read 786,588 times
Quote:

In defense, most wealthy nations at the time also didn't have a safety net.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:06 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,193,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I don't have kids yet but I don't think you can liken yourself to the welfare folk who subsist on handouts based on how many kids they have. EVERYTHING (except maybe section 8, I don't know much about that) is based on the number of children...food stamps, tax credits, cash assistance, each kid gets Medicaid. You can't (hopefully) compare yourself to the people who perpetrate the fraud.

I'm a landlord and I am responsible for the property taxes. You could say the renters are paying them indirectly, I suppose, but you can't really look at it that way. The landlord gets to charge whatever he wants for the property and then he is responsible for paying the taxes each year and also taking the write-off on his income taxes.

Florida at least does not give any kind of tax credit for renters who pay property taxes...which they don't, or at least not that I've ever come across. That doesn't even make sense considering the landlord gets the write-off for the property taxes when he files each year. In my experience, only commercial renters have to pay property taxes and thus write them off, but that's a whole different thing since it's a business expense and is included in the gross rent. Okay that is way too much detail but suffice it to say that you can't really say that renters are paying taxes via the property taxes on their rent. (Besides, ultimately, it's up to the landlord to pay the taxes, if he doesn't, it's his butt on the line, not the renter's.)
Cut the sarcasm, andrea. You're simply too naive about childrearing.

Renter's refund

SDAT:Renters Tax Credit
The concept rests on the reasoning that renters indirectly pay property taxes as part of their rent and thus should have some protection, as do homeowners.

Vermont tax tidbit: renter rebate credit - Don't Mess With Taxes

Why not? Do you not charge enough to cover the property taxes? If not, you should raise your rents.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:09 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,355,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Sorry but adults don't belong working in fast food restaurants. Before we gave all our jobs to Asia, fast food is where all the teenagers worked. Now poor adults have to take anything they can find so they get stuck in fast food.
BTW how many entry level jobs did you work in your lifetime?
Many of them and it taught me that if I did not work harder, learn, finish my degree and do whatever I have to do I will be making low wages and poor.

So I worked hard, set goals, finished my degree and started my own business.

Worked years and years of 16+ hour days to build it. Did not take a paycheck for many years keeping it going and paid my employees first.

Luckily sold it for a nice chunk of money and now onto bigger and better things and easier money making ideas.

Adults who have no skills deserve to work at restaurants.

The point is MOST, not all poor people are poor for reason. They either are lazy, unskilled and do not want to better themselves.

I know many poor people who did not want to remain poor and did something about it and are no longer poor.

I firmly believe most people who are poor are poor by choice.

If a teen boy can make 500.00+ a week making corn hole sets then someone else can earn a decent wage by doing something if they would get off their butts and work at it.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,758,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I can list off about 4 or 5 different people off the top of my head who are quite well-off after having gotten a start in fast food. One guy who started at a burger chain now owns all the rights to a full-service restaurant in one particular state. I have no idea about his pay structure but let's just say he's quite comfortable now.

FWIW, I agree that the minimum wage fast food jobs should be reserved for teens. However, when push comes to shove, the adults should be applying for and taking these jobs at this point in time. What's the alternative? They may start at the counter or dropping the fry basket but with some motivation, they can move into management and perhaps have their own stores one day. People seem to forget that fact. You may not be so proud to say "I'm a cashier at McDonald's" but I bet you'd be proud of saying "I own all the McDonald's in (city)" or "I'm the GM of the McDonald's over on (street)."
Some of these McDonald cashiers WERE management in a previous job.
These are not entry level folks..these are folks with 20-30 years experience in a field that isn't hiring anymore. They don't want to be a McDonald mgr and they don't have the $$$ to buy a franchise never mind own all of them in a city. They are working where they are working because they can get nothing else and are too old to start over in another field.

Try talking to these folks next time you're in McDonalds or Walmart or wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies