Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 12:03 AM

465 posts, read 463,602 times

Advertisements

About freelance writing.

I tried it out a few years ago, and many of my friends have tried it because I used to work in the newspaper industry. So naturally we decided to try our hand at freelance.

It is VERY difficult to make decent money at freelance writing. A decent writer who hustles hard can maybe expect a few hundred dollars per month and the money is very unstable.

I know lots and lots of journalists and none of them even attempt to make a living freelancing. Some of them do freelance for fun or for a little extra pocket money but that's it.

Making a living as a freelance writer, like the person in this thread is suggesting, is very unrealistic.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Usually what comes up is those "gigs" that pay .01/word......the freelance business is imploding as we speak.
That's right. The money isn't too great.

I hustled hard freelancing for about 4 months and on average I made about 400 dollars per month probably.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:38 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
What's up with all these blanket, unsupported assertions?

"most c-d members" hate poor people? What percentage? Let's see the evidence...names, links, please.

How did you factually reach the conclusion "Americans hate poor people" and how do you specifically link this conclusion with c-d member posts?

Your conclusion is based on factual evidence, right?

NomadRefugee seems to be a "globalist" who hates Americans, American capitalism, fantasizes about overthrowing the government (see his latest post), robbing the rich to avenge the world's poor, and seems to have a bit too much time on his hands.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:15 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
I think you mistake hating the way the poor people issue is handled by the government with hating poor people.

With all of the government programs and breaks for poor people why are there still so many of them? And who makes their public careers (power and money) by keeping them poor and dependent on them for assistance?

And, what do you define as poor? Most people think of poor as meaning lacking the basic necessities of life (food/shelter/clothing) but that's not how the government defines poor.

"The following are facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau, taken from various government reports:

46% of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three bedroom house with one and a half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

76% of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

Only 6% of poor households are overcrowded. More than two thirds have more than two rooms per person.

The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

Nearly three quarters of poor households own a car; 305 own two or more cars.

97% of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

78% have a VCR or DVD player; 62% have cable or satellite TV reception.

73% own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and a third have an automatic dishwasher."

You can read the report. It includes interesting charts. It's not saying there aren't some truly poor people in America just that the severity of hardship and scope are limited in the people the government defines as "poor." Shouldn't the truly poor (lacking food/housing/shelter) be where efforts are concentrated?

Understanding Poverty in America | The Heritage Foundation

Old 11-20-2010, 04:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post

American forums and chat rooms are just full of hate, arguements, slander, egomanical debates, bigotry.......

The people in the past few countries i've lived in have not even come close to the same levels of hatred that you will see coming out of the mouths of many Americans.

The American character is very aggressive and angry in general. And they love to direct hatred at someone or something. The love to see somebody as "the enemy".

Sad but true.
So being out of touch with America for a while and now coming back to see current attitudes have you made any further specific objective conclusions about why American political attitudes are so hateful and bordering on dysfunction?.Questions like Why the hate and where its coming from and where its going maybe best analyzed by an unbiased external viewpoint..

Old 11-20-2010, 05:51 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,211,948 times
Default is the original post for real?

How sad, a distorted view reflecting either 'hatred' of American society or a grossly naive perspective born of bias or ignorance as a symptom of terminal blindness.

No insight given can be heard in such a blinding storm of withered perspective.

Hunter's for the Hungry doesn't hate the poor. They donate venison and individually subsidize the processing by certified butchers, all to be distributed to the needy.

So I guess American hunters collectively don't hate the poor but I can't speak for non hunters. Would they be the 'haters' to whom you refer?

Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
NomadRefugee seems to be a "globalist" who hates Americans, American capitalism, fantasizes about overthrowing the government (see his latest post), robbing the rich to avenge the world's poor, and seems to have a bit too much time on his hands.
Some of those things are true. Some are false.

If you can't attack the message, attack the messenger right?

Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
I have also sensed a certain contempt not only for poor people, but also for weak, unsuccessful, modest, alternative people, basically everyone who doesn't live in line with the American dream myth. I guess it is part of the American mentality. Since it is a rather cold, money-focused society, material success is very important to people. That whole winning thingy, I have not seen it like that in other countries.
Americans are also pretty class-oriented. This shows for instance in the way people of similar social status tend to move into the same neighborhoods, trying to keep people from lower classes out. Here in Europe that is rarely the case, quite often you will see public housing projects right next to wealthy blocks, which is a deliberate move by city planners.

Regarding what someone wrote about how some poor people make use of the system by not reporting an unofficial spouse's income etc. It is not their fault, they do exactly what rich people do when they hire tax consultants to pay as little in taxes as possible by exploiting loopholes.

I am quite allergic to all the bashing of single mothers on this board.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have also sensed a certain contempt not only for poor people, but also for weak, unsuccessful, modest, alternative people, basically everyone who doesn't live in line with the American dream myth. I guess it is part of the American mentality. Since it is a rather cold, money-focused society, material success is very important to people. That whole winning thingy, I have not seen it like that in other countries.
Americans are also pretty class-oriented. This shows for instance in the way people of similar social status tend to move into the same neighborhoods, trying to keep people from lower classes out. Here in Europe that is rarely the case, quite often you will see public housing projects right next to wealthy blocks, which is a deliberate move by city planners.

Regarding what someone wrote about how some poor people make use of the system by not reporting an unofficial spouse's income etc. It is not their fault, they do exactly what rich people do when they hire tax consultants to pay as little in taxes as possible by exploiting loopholes.

I am quite allergic to all the bashing of single mothers on this board.
I agree with you.

Most people really don't realize that they think about things this way. It's just ingrained into them deeply and they aren't conscious of it.

Just mindlessly acting as they have been programmed.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Many of them and it taught me that if I did not work harder, learn, finish my degree and do whatever I have to do I will be making low wages and poor.

So I worked hard, set goals, finished my degree and started my own business.

Worked years and years of 16+ hour days to build it. Did not take a paycheck for many years keeping it going and paid my employees first.

Luckily sold it for a nice chunk of money and now onto bigger and better things and easier money making ideas.

Adults who have no skills deserve to work at restaurants.

The point is MOST, not all poor people are poor for reason. They either are lazy, unskilled and do not want to better themselves.

I know many poor people who did not want to remain poor and did something about it and are no longer poor.

I firmly believe most people who are poor are poor by choice.

If a teen boy can make 500.00+ a week making corn hole sets then someone else can earn a decent wage by doing something if they would get off their butts and work at it.
You can post the same silliness over and over again but the simple fact is you refuse to recognize that jobs formerly performed by those you call lazy no longer exists. Those products sold where you shop Wallmart, are now made by the overseas slaves of American businessmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies