Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 01:01 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not everyone can work for themselves. All different people make up the world..you cannot just say "go work for yourself" and voila..they are an LLC.

There are janitors that love being janitors and wouldn't know what else to do and they are good at what they do, happy doing it and don't want to do anything else. Now fire that guy and he's like a fish out of water.

You cannot snap your fingers and become someone else. Life doesn't work like that.
Yes and also in American mentality it seems that rage against the less fortunate continues until someone loses their business, realizes they cant pay 10k per month to put an elderly parent in a nursing home (insurance doesnt cover), or they are diagnosed with cancer and the hospital puts a 50k lien on their house...Its the typical "not in my backyard mentality"......no one cares about anyone until they are personally hit.

Myopic and stupid...ask not for whom the bell tolls.......

Old 11-20-2010, 01:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Yes and also in American mentality it seems that rage against the less fortunate continues until someone loses their business, realizes they cant pay 10k per month to put an elderly parent in a nursing home (insurance doesnt cover), or they are diagnosed with cancer and the hospital puts a 50k lien on their house...Its the typical "not in my backyard mentality"......no one cares about anyone until they are personally hit.

Yes, there are people who are not smart enough, or motivated enough or brave enough to shed the conventions that they have grown comfortable with and strike out on their own. Good grief, the world is full of them. They are the worker-bees of society. It is called evolution and survival of the fittest. When the world CHANGES (as our world is changing), then you must either have the courage to move out of your comfort zone and become motivated, and learn and try to do new things in new ways, OR YOU DIE.

I am terribly, dreadfully sorry that there are some people who are doomed to become DINOSAURS. But I am NOT going to subsidize their lack of courage. I do not want to pay for the fact that their mindset is obsolete and that they have to grow or die. How is that wrong?

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-20-2010, 01:49 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post

Poor people still pay tons of taxes. Sales tax, property tax or rent, etc. They are being squeezed pretty hard out of their nickels and dimes already.

Let's get real here.
LOL! Paying taxes by paying rent! And what is 6% sales tax on FREE food stamp benefits!!!!??? Would someone please explain Economics 101 to the undereducated liberals on this forum???!!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Yes, there are people who are not smart enough, or motivated enough or brave enough to shed the conventions that they have grown comfortable with and strike out on their own. Good grief, the world is full of them. They are the worker-bees of society. It is called evolution and survival of the fittest. When the world CHANGES (as our world is changing), then you must either have the courage to move out of your comfort zone and become motivated, and learn and try to do new things in new ways, OR YOU DIE.

I am terribly, dreadfully sorry that there are some people who are doomed to become DINOSAURS. But I am NOT going to subsidize their lack of courage. I do not want to pay for the fact that their mindset is obsolete and that they have to grow or die. How is that wrong?

20yrsinBranson
If we don't buy into Darwinism, we can at least buy into Social Darwinism.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

We can't afford any of the above because local, state, and federal governments take 50% of our annual incomes!!!

You must try to imagine what you could afford absent Big Burglar's intrusions!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinbranson View Post
yes, there are people who are not smart enough, or motivated enough or brave enough to shed the conventions that they have grown comfortable with and strike out on their own. Good grief, the world is full of them. They are the worker-bees of society. It is called evolution and survival of the fittest. When the world changes (as our world is changing), then you must either have the courage to move out of your comfort zone and become motivated, and learn and try to do new things in new ways, or you die.

I am terribly, dreadfully sorry that there are some people who are doomed to become dinosaurs. But i am not going to subsidize their lack of courage. I do not want to pay for the fact that their mindset is obsolete and that they have to grow or die. How is that wrong?

20yrsinbranson
. . . O. . M. . G!

Old 11-20-2010, 02:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
. . . O. . M. . G!
Well put Katiana..I feel the same way. I can't even put words to a comment on that one. I guess your three letters says it all.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Well right wingers are anti poor as you can se here very well on CD from their posts espcially the christian wing conservatives butt they are suckers for the rich.
I am a Christian conservative and my heart aches for the poor. I am struggling myself right now and I try to give at least 10% of my unemployment check to the poor. Jesus calls us to give to the poor. Although that is getting a lot harder lately. I hope I find a job soon so I can start giving more to my church and favorite charity.

I feel bad for the foster child who can't find a nice family to live with. Or the woman with three kids who narrowly escapes an abusive marriage with nothing but the clothes on their backs. The unemployed who can't even find a job at Burger King or the 55 year old laid off construction worker who can't even get an interview. The breast cancer victim who is struggling to pay the medical bills. I believe that these people shouldn't have to rely on the government, WE ALL should be helping them.

Many of the poor need a hand ups from the charity of others. Like, what is wrong with helping a 99er rebuild his or her resume or helping him or her obtain a job? We need to have barbeques for those in our community who can't pay their medical bills. We need to help the unemployed find jobs or provide shelter for the domestic violence victim. Foster children need nice families to adopt them. Some of the poor need help finding resources to help them obtain a GED, trade school, or college education. Some charities and churches already do these things, but more need to get involved.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:42 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Default I doon't know where you got the idea christians hate the poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
A common theme I see on these threads is that most city-data members basically hate poor people. They see poor people as lazy, worthless scumbags of no value.

They have little or no interest in helping poor people. Have very little empathy or compassion. And basically just want to ignore the issue.

What's up with that???

I'm pretty sure most of you all who hate poor people are Christians. You should probably go back and re-read some of Jesus' quotes about helping the poor.

I've been living away from the US for a while and I forgot about this American hatred for poor people. The coments on city-data on this topic are shocking to me after not hearing this kind of talk for so long.

Most of the churches I know of have all kinds of sources set aside for the poor . I have personally worked helping the poor a number of years and still do .
Food distribution is a big thing we do all the time here and abroad, and it is not for the thanks of poor but the blessing of God for being obedient in the task at hand.
Now I have see a lot of people that were planely not poor, not even christian, begging food from the pantry, and then going shopping buying expensive things for them selves , that my friend is an offence.
But some one genuinely poor we've never turned away. Not to my knowledge.
There are a lot of unemploied people going to church too you know who don't have the money to be bonevelant. but they are faithful and some how God sees them through it . Abusers however , God has no obligation to hear. exept in repentance. No one owes the poor anything, no one owes the abuser anyhing ,it seems you think it is owed to the poor . it is not. I have a number of acquaintences that actually prefir it on the street, they like their freedom .

Last edited by arleigh; 11-20-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-20-2010, 02:48 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So if all the people in your neighborhood are living a better life than you by not working and seem to be getting everything they need for free,including Air conditioning
Satellite TV
Dishwasher
Full shopping carts
To name a few, whats up with you playing the village pauper?
Is your personal honor and integrity the only thing keeping you from raising your standard of living and becoming unemployed?.
Something is definitely wrong with some ones thinking if you can have the choice of a better life for free and you choose to live a lower standard of life by working for a living.
At least thats the impression you give in your post.
I hope you're being sarcastic. First of all, it's called integrity. You might want to look it up. And if you think that the better life is "free", you're kidding yourself. Someone's paying for that "free" life, even if it's not you.

I prefer being able to look in the mirror and saying "I'm not a leach on society".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies