Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 04:01 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccain View Post
Let me say that my schools have been in both areas, and both underperform. Their are some suburbian (white areas) that is just as bad as the city (black areas). The only areas that are academically progressing is the high profile suburbian areas, the reason being the parents are demanding higher education resources due to the high cost of taxes that they bring to the community, and the teachers know they will be held accountable for thier actions.
You've obviously never taught in a school.

Money/funding is a minor factor in school performance. Race is the #1 indicator of how a school will perform. There are genetic and cultural reasons for this.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:04 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
You've obviously never taught in a school.

Money/funding is a minor factor in school performance. Race is the #1 indicator of how a school will perform. There are genetic and cultural reasons for this.
I can't see how money/funding would be a factor. I never understood how money stood in the way of memorizing facts. However, come on, genetic? Source?... Reputable source?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue7 View Post
I am new to this forum also, but this thread caught my eye. In the particular area I live- (Flint) both whites and blacks have exited the city for better schools and safer neighborhoods in the suburbs. Flint is very segregated no doubt, but I have personally talked with some blacks in some pretty nice neighborhoods ( I work for a delivery service ), and in talking with some of them the subject of Flint has come up several times. Even they admitted how bad Flint is and they moved out because they didn't feel the schools were adequate, and the safety for their children was a issue. I think this is the overall perception of most whites that the inner cities are unsafe., therefore they choose to spend little time if any there. Right or wrong, whites live with blacks in the suburbs and there are no problems ,but they do feel unsafe in the inner city living in the predominately black neighborhoods. Drug dealers, prostitutes, are just some of the issues that are in the city. Also the police departments are severely underfunded in the city making it that much more unsafe.
And this is it in a nutshell.

I think a MAJORITY black inner city neighborhood would most likely be underserved by community services and school system. This would precipitate a declining school (lack of enough good teachers and books) and declining police/fire causing an incline in crime.

Most people who are able to leave this type of area, will do so.

I find fault with White people who run scared because ONE black family moves on the block simply because "the blacks are coming". I also find fault with Black people who drive out of their way etc to avoid spending money "out there in Whiteland (Westland) etc simply because it is white.

If there are some facts (not antedoctal) then great... but don't judge a book by its cover. Believe me... I am learning (from my husband's family), White is not always right.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I can't see how money/funding would be a factor. I never understood how money stood in the way of memorizing facts. However, come on, genetic? Source?... Reputable source?
Certainly you can do the research.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
And this is it in a nutshell.

I think a MAJORITY black inner city neighborhood would most likely be underserved by community services and school system. This would precipitate a declining school (lack of enough good teachers and books) and declining police/fire causing an incline in crime.

Most people who are able to leave this type of area, will do so.

I find fault with White people who run scared because ONE black family moves on the block simply because "the blacks are coming". I also find fault with Black people who drive out of their way etc to avoid spending money "out there in Whiteland (Westland) etc simply because it is white.

If there are some facts (not antedoctal) then great... but don't judge a book by its cover. Believe me... I am learning (from my husband's family), White is not always right.
I think that the first whites leaving, all because of one black moving into the neighborhood, is where neighborhood decline starts. However, by the time the neighborhood is one quarter black, it is not wise to blame people, as that time the neighborhood is already in steep decline.

Black schools under-perform across the board, from suburbs to the inner city. Most inner city schools are some of the most over-funded schools in the country.

Most teachers shy away from these schools, as they're dangerous, filled with a large percentage of students who verbally and physically threaten and harass the teachers. Furthermore, what good is it for a teacher who spent years in college to master their craft, to see it go to waste when the students aren't receptive to learning and the lessons that the teacher has put forth hours to create? It's a lose-lose situation. This doesn't take into account the false accusations that "inner city" kids and their parents regularly make in regard to teachers, claiming that the teacher did something wrongly to them. This puts into limbo a teacher's contract, for what?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 AM

22 posts, read 56,232 times
Quote:
I was asking for clarification about a posters opinion that appeared to be self-contradicting. (Is that a word?)

In regard to your post, please cite sources for suburban schools doing as poorly as city schools; a correlation between resource allocation and student achievement; and no other schools progressing except where resource allocation equals that of the "high-profile" schools.

Further, in regard to your use of "under perform," please explain definitevly what level should be achieved.

For the record, I'm not arguing with either of you. I'd just like to know why you hold your opinions and what you mean by them.
To clueless in Michigan go to michigan.gov/education for annual yearly report cards for schools achievement, that will give you a clue as to what schools are doing what.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:08 AM

282 posts, read 1,169,162 times
Default Is White Flight Right?

Is it wrong? I grew up in Detoilet, never gave any thought to white/black.
We moved to suburbia in '61 when Detoilet was still a great city. We ,as preteens could take the bus downtown,do whatever and feel safe. Then the riots. For what? but as teens, we could still go downtown in the middle of the night and get Bagels & Loks,drive the neighborhoods and get ribs from people BBQing them in the front yard. Oh, they were black too.
C. Young gets elected as mayor. That's really when the race card started being played, not by whites either. Attitudes started changing ,the city started its decline. A crook ruined this city, everything went to Hell. To him that has eyes, let him see. Since the 70's it's been extremely hard to get a job in the city if you're white. I've lived out of state several times and every time I came back I would "check out" the city. How sad it was to see the cancer that was eating away Detoilet. I would get pulled over by cops-black- for no reason. I was given bogus tickets,robbed-YES ROBBED- several times by Detoilets finest. Well I STILL tried to be nonjudgmental-racist-. The last time I got pulled over, the cop asked me a question. "You know why my car is white and blue instead of blue and white like the rest?" Ah no I said.
" Cause I get paid to F with people. WE don't want white people in the city. OK, that was the last time I went into Detoilet. That was in 1989. The current mayor is still playing the race card-2008. Detoilet is still a wreck,the whole country thinks so and says it. EVERYTHING to do with the city is bad so I ask you, why would any person Want to live in Detoilet? That cancer I spoke of earlier has spread throughout the state, people are leaving the state now as well. As well as living out of state for a number of years, I use to tour the Midwest and Canada as a musician. When people learned we were from Detroit,they would cringe or step back. Remember Detroit's' motto from the 80's?

Detroit, where the weak are killed then eaten.

Only the black populous can turn this city around and I see no signs of that happening. That's the hard reality.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:23 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
Is it wrong? I grew up in Detoilet, never gave any thought to white/black.
We moved to suburbia in '61 when Detoilet was still a great city. We ,as preteens could take the bus downtown,do whatever and feel safe. Then the riots. For what? but as teens, we could still go downtown in the middle of the night and get Bagels & Loks,drive the neighborhoods and get ribs from people BBQing them in the front yard. Oh, they were black too.
C. Young gets elected as mayor. That's really when the race card started being played, not by whites either. Attitudes started changing ,the city started its decline. A crook ruined this city, everything went to Hell. To him that has eyes, let him see. Since the 70's it's been extremely hard to get a job in the city if you're white. I've lived out of state several times and every time I came back I would "check out" the city. How sad it was to see the cancer that was eating away Detoilet. I would get pulled over by cops-black- for no reason. I was given bogus tickets,robbed-YES ROBBED- several times by Detoilets finest. Well I STILL tried to be nonjudgmental-racist-. The last time I got pulled over, the cop asked me a question. "You know why my car is white and blue instead of blue and white like the rest?" Ah no I said.
" Cause I get paid to F with people. WE don't want white people in the city. OK, that was the last time I went into Detoilet. That was in 1989. The current mayor is still playing the race card-2008. Detoilet is still a wreck,the whole country thinks so and says it. EVERYTHING to do with the city is bad so I ask you, why would any person Want to live in Detoilet? That cancer I spoke of earlier has spread throughout the state, people are leaving the state now as well. As well as living out of state for a number of years, I use to tour the Midwest and Canada as a musician. When people learned we were from Detroit,they would cringe or step back. Remember Detroit's' motto from the 80's?

Detroit, where the weak are killed then eaten.

Only the black populous can turn this city around and I see no signs of that happening. That's the hard reality.
Even alot of blacks won't live in Detroit. I sure wouldn't live there. Too scary.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by one thousand
In regard to your post, please cite sources for suburban schools doing as poorly as city schools; a correlation between resource allocation and student achievement; and no other schools progressing except where resource allocation equals that of the "high-profile" schools.

Further, in regard to your use of "under perform," please explain definitevly what level should be achieved.
To clueless in Michigan go to michigan.gov/education for annual yearly report cards for schools achievement, that will give you a clue as to what schools are doing what.
It's difficult when someone asks you if your lifelong assumptions are based on anything besides rumors, isn't it? It must really tear at you that you really don't know. In fact, of the several questions I've asked you over the past days, you haven't produced anything that would justify your opinions.

And seriously, have you read the 27 PAGE! guide to understanding the "report card?"

That's why "white flight" (which is an expression of acceptable racism) occurs. When the culture around you goes from making decisions based on reality to making decisions based on rumor, guesses and assumptions, doesn't it make sense that rather than be at the mercy of the government that is then created, you leave to be with like-minded people?

Thanks for proving my point.

By the way, Wyandotte has economically disadvantaged kids ( https://oeaa.state.mi.us/ayp/distric...=High%20School ) but managed to pass... What's up with that? Maybe the union should go crack down on those scab teachers not participating in the slow down.

Hmm... amazing... ( https://oeaa.state.mi.us/ayp/distric...sp?Dcode=63160 )... a W. Bloomfield school received a D in a school and Wyandottes worst was a C... Hmm...

Last edited by One Thousand; 04-09-2008 at 08:24 AM..

Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 AM

22 posts, read 56,232 times
Quote:
It's difficult when someone asks you if your lifelong assumptions are based on anything besides rumors, isn't it? It must really tear at you that you really don't know. In fact, of the several questions I've asked you over the past days, you haven't produced anything that would justify your opinions.

And seriously, have you read the 27 PAGE! guide to understanding the "report card?"

That's why "white flight" (which is an expression of acceptable racism) occurs. When the culture around you goes from making decisions based on reality to making decisions based on rumor, guesses and assumptions, doesn't it make sense that rather than be at the mercy of the government that is then created, you leave to be with like-minded people?

Thanks for proving my point.

By the way, Wyandotte has economically disadvantaged kids ( https://oeaa.state.mi.us/ayp/distric...=High%20School ) but managed to pass... What's up with that? Maybe the union should go crack down on those scab teachers not participating in the slow down.
Is that the only school you that you found? And you have proven anything but retoric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies