Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:59 AM

88,974 posts, read 44,788,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Some would argue that a good many drug addicts commit other crimes to support their habits. Crimes like robbery. Some would argue that many drug users while hopped up on their drug of choice commit other crimes. Like crimes of passion etc.
Exactly. That's why the statistics on drug abuse treatment are much more telling than a random survey of voluntarily given responses on drug use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 08:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
This topic reminds me a bit of the problems some developing countries face that have witnessed genocide and are trying to reintegrate hundreds of thousands of killers, rapists, former child soldiers etc. into society, simply because there are not enough jails and resources to lock them all up, not to mention that they would be missing in agriculture etc.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,343,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
criminal background records contribute to loss of employment opportunities and recidivism. This is a pretty good idea. I think all criminal records should only be available for law enforcement only. Having criminal records defeats the purpose of jail time because the records de facto extend the jail sentence far beyond what the judge sentences you for

Great idea....I certainly wouldn't mind if I hired someone as a book keeper, accountant, or financial advisor who had previously been convicted of forgery, theft, or fraud. That's exactly who I want with their hands on my check book or investment portfolio.

Why let someone's criminal activity stand in the way of them getting ahead? Hint: Less consequence equals more incentive to commit crimes.

But hey....we certainly need to provide more forms affirmative action because there were salves in America 150 years ago.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Great idea....I certainly wouldn't mind if I hired someone as a book keeper, accountant, or financial advisor who had previously been convicted of forgery, theft, or fraud. That's exactly who I want with their hands on my check book or investment portfolio.

Why let someone's criminal activity stand in the way of them getting ahead? Hint: Less consequence equals more incentive to commit crimes.

But hey....we certainly need to provide more forms affirmative action because there were salves in America 150 years ago.

I am not sure that logic is correct, even though it might seem obvious at first glance. But think of the ultimate consequence, the death penalty. One might think it would keep people from committing violent crimes, but in reality it doesn't.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:12 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Some would argue that a good many drug addicts commit other crimes to support their habits. Crimes like robbery. Some would argue that many drug users while hopped up on their drug of choice commit other crimes. Like crimes of passion etc.
Expunging the records of only one race is racist. No other way to look at it.
They knew what they were doing was illegal. They made a choice. I agree a bad choice but it was their choice. We can make excuses for criminals all day and it won't change the fact that they disregarded the law for whatever their reason was.
I keep hearing how some come from hard childhoods. Do blacks have a monopoly on hard childhoods?
I agree with you that crack users get hit harder than powder users. It could be because crack is many times more addictive than powder. If I had my way we would hammer all dealers with capital punishment. To be honest I have no sympathy for any user. We are all taught at an early age what happens when you use narcotics. For what ever reason dopers do it anyway. They have chosen their path.

Yes, because people commit robberies all the time to support their weed habit...

The facts are that the VAST majority of users for any drug are non-violent and won't become addicted. Stop living in the Reagan Era... it was meant to scare you.

And no not everybody is taught what happens when you use narcotics, and in a lot of cases if they are then it wasn't early enough. Do you expect 6 and 7 year olds to know not to start smoking and drinking? Because that's around when a lot of addicts start. The behaviors become ingrained and they ultimately have to use the drugs to cope with the rest of their life. Those are the people who become violent when they can't afford their coping mechanism anymore. Its sad but that's how it is.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:54 PM

88,974 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The facts are that the VAST majority of users for any drug are non-violent and won't become addicted.
Heroin, cocaine, and crystal meth are highly addictive. Why do you think you have to show a state-issued ID and sign a document to buy OTC products containing pseudoephidrene (a decongestant commonly found in cold/flu relief products), and you're limited to very small amounts at that?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am not sure that logic is correct, even though it might seem obvious at first glance. But think of the ultimate consequence, the death penalty. One might think it would keep people from committing violent crimes, but in reality it doesn't.
Sure. There are thousands of people out there who are so stupid that they can't think of or imagine the consequences of any action. So we should just throw our hands up and say it can't be helped? Come on.

Besides, I don't believe the premise of the argument anyway. For some morons no amount of deterrent will stop them, and that is what the death penalty is for: getting rid of the incorrigible. Others will learn from the example made of them. Besides, there has to be some kind of justice for the victim's family. That's why I love Texas. If you kill somebody here we will kill you back.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:23 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
What about the prisoner with LWOP who kills another prisoner or a guard? What additional punishment is there in a state without capital punishment?

Old 11-26-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Sure. There are thousands of people out there who are so stupid that they can't think of or imagine the consequences of any action. So we should just throw our hands up and say it can't be helped? Come on.

Besides, I don't believe the premise of the argument anyway. For some morons no amount of deterrent will stop them, and that is what the death penalty is for: getting rid of the incorrigible. Others will learn from the example made of them. Besides, there has to be some kind of justice for the victim's family. That's why I love Texas. If you kill somebody here we will kill you back.
Call me naive, but I believe that every human can be a good member of society. I don't share that one-way human idea where we simply dispose of humans as if they were trash. We, society, have made them they way they are in the first place.
That is why I like Europe, we try to prevent violent crimes before they take place. And the few killers there are we can afford to lock away.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,857 times
Liberal credo: create racial and societal problems where before there weren't any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is why I like Europe, we try to prevent violent crimes before they take place. And the few killers there are we can afford to lock away.
If I were a sociopath killer I'd like Europe too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies