Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:35 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
GARY | Black males have higher rates of incarceration and of repeat offenses that land them back in jail or prison, statistics show.
Changing that dynamic could begin with expunging their criminal records.
That was the consensus of a discussion Thursday sponsored by the Gary Commission on the Social Status of Black Males in conjunction with the East Chicago-based group Working Outside the Walls and an alliance of grassroot activists.
Summit endorses expunging blacks' criminal records

Hm. I can see expunging some things like marijuana possession, but this goes way beyond. Social engineering at work again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 06:41 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
criminal background records contribute to loss of employment opportunities and recidivism. This is a pretty good idea. I think all criminal records should only be available for law enforcement only. Having criminal records defeats the purpose of jail time because the records de facto extend the jail sentence far beyond what the judge sentences you for

Old 11-25-2010, 06:47 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
criminal background records contribute to loss of employment opportunities and recidivism. This is a pretty good idea. I think all criminal records should only be available for law enforcement only. Having criminal records defeats the purpose of jail time because the records de facto extend the jail sentence far beyond what the judge sentences you for
.......Yes....I somewhat agree, but I can see some big problems if a person who has been in trouble with the law for violent crimes is hired by an employer and proceeds to assault the other employees. But I am sympathetic to those who really do want to change their ways. I just don't think this will work.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:01 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Get real.

Imagine that you are the owner of a struggling small business...

Now imagine not knowing whether or not the new guy that you are about to hire is a convicted rapist, murderer, pedophile etc...

My experience with people has shown me that they rarely ever change on a deep level. They are what they are and employers have the right to know who and what they are hiring.

Besides, don't break the law if you can't deal with the consequences. Having a prison record is just part of the package. Welcome to reality.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:09 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,295 times
Why??? Are they special,maybe incapable of being honest ?

This is ridiculous,I'm going to find a group that can expunge/waive all my debts and taxes. This idea is moronic at best.
Maybe we should be rewarding people that actually earn and/or deserve it. With Liberals it's always someone else's fault.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:14 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,306 times
The article stated:

'Some offenses, however, don't qualify for expungement, including first-degree murder, sexual offense of a minor and DUI, Brown said.'

However the main issue has been ignored. That is only blacks are being considered.

Apart from being a stupid program, selecting any specific race is not the way to handle it.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:22 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
The article stated:

'Some offenses, however, don't qualify for expungement, including first-degree murder, sexual offense of a minor and DUI, Brown said.'

However the main issue has been ignored. That is only blacks are being considered.

Apart from being a stupid program, selecting any specific race is not the way to handle it.
If I was black this would make me angry. Like affirmative action it's just one more thing that suggests that blacks can't compete on an even playing field. Ideas like this are inherently racist -if you think about it long enough you will see the truth in this statement.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:23 PM

11,268 posts, read 11,032,046 times
Criminal records are one thing. Personally, I don't see how any employer could ignore a criminal background for anything that resulted in jail time. That could result in a seriously dangerous situation.

The check that I take exception to is the credit check. I held a 790 average for close to 15 years. Then, I hit a streak of bad luck and made a couple poor choices, and now I'm wallowing in the low 600's.

I'll be looking for a federal job in a short time. They do credit checks. I find it funny that a government that is in trillions of $$ of debt, and bailing out wall street could deny a skilled and educated job prospect employment due to credit issues. Pot meet kettle.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Sure..wipe their records and we'll all make believe it never happened.
How many times do we do this per person ? Wipe every 3 years ?
Better yet..don't arrest them then they won't have a record.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:58 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,967 times
Isn't it racist to only suggest that blacks have their criminal records expunged?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies