Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 10:32 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Listen very carefully: ATHEISM DOES NOT STATE DEFINITIVELY THAT THERE IS NO GOD!
Atheist:
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
I'm an Atheist. I do not say that I'm 100% sure that there is no god, I just DO NOT BELIEVE there is one. There very well could be a god, but I do not believe in one. No one really knows for sure if there is or there isn't, but using my reason and my logic I cannot believe in the idea of a god. The burden of proof is on THEISTS to prove that there is a god, and thus far I've not seen any evidence.

Here's a good website for all the wonderful Christians on this forum:
God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs

who cares what your stupid website says its not fact its opinion.
your not god either so what makes you all right and all knowing??? nothing thats what.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:34 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
who cares what your stupid website says its not fact its opinion.
your not god either so what makes you all right and all knowing??? nothing thats what.
Who cares what your stupid bible says, it's not fact, it's opinion. See how that works?

Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Then where did your god come from? And you cannot say "he was always here" because then you're contradicting yourself.
Since he'd be outside of time, eternal existence isn't an issue.
Quote:

Besides, it still takes NO FAITH to be an atheist, just like it takes no faith to disbelieve in flying neon green elephants.

I think it takes plenty of faith to believe that we're here by chance with no cause.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM

956 posts, read 1,114,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
You're splitting hairs. Atheism is a FAITH. It takes as much or more FAITH to say there is absolutely no God as it does to say there is a God.

Agnostics have a legitimate argument when they say they don't know one way or the other....but atheists have no way of knowing that there absolutely is no creator. In my opinion, this universe had to start somewhere, something does not come from nothing.
By that same token, not believing in the tooth fairy should be considered a religion too because it takes faith to say that there's absolutely no tooth fairy. Atheism isn't concerned about whether there is a God or not, it just refuses to use an illogical explanation as to why things are the way they are (ala religion)

Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Can't have it both ways, dude. If your precious deity has eternal unbeginning and unending existence, why can't the universe have always been here? If as so many of you believers say "Something can't come from nothing!" then your mythical god had to come from something too.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
You're splitting hairs.
Actually, no he's not. He is asking to justify your claim. If one were to, say, assert that a bicycle is a fish it would not be unreasonable to ask, "Oh? Here are the characteristics of a fish. Please demonstrate how a bicycle meets them."

You have asserted that Atheism is a religion (or "faith"). Please demonstrate that since to many of us here is it no less absurd a claim than that "a bicycle is a fish."

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies
Atheism is a FAITH. It takes as much or more FAITH to say there is absolutely no God as it does to say there is a God.
Again... you have here misrepresented the general stand of actual atheists. It takes absolutely no faith whatsoever for an atheist say that he or she absolutely does not believe in god. We all know what we do or do not believe. And to state those beliefs requires exactly zero "faith."

Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Can't have it both ways, dude. If your precious deity has eternal unbeginning and unending existence, why can't the universe have always been here? If as so many of you believers say "Something can't come from nothing!" then your mythical god had to come from something too.
Things like the 2nd law of thermodynics, and the expansion of the universe point to it NOT being eternal. The question then is, what caused the universe to exist?

Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Time is part of the universe. Time exists within the universe, the universe doesn't exist within time.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Time is part of the universe. Time exists within the universe, the universe doesn't exist within time.
I realize that. So the idea of a cause/creator existing outside of time isn't a stretch. And we see that the universe had a beginning.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
The burden of proof is on THEISTS to prove that there is a god, and thus far I've not seen any evidence.
Look in the mirror, look out your window. Do you honestly think something as complex as nature and the human body just came about by chance from nothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies