Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Of course not.

Only theists believe in creation ex nihilo.
They don't believe we came from nothing. They believe we came from dust, or a rib, or something.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:01 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The fact that the heat has not totally dissipated and matter has not ceased to exist proves the universe is not eternal.
I'n not a physicist, but isn't the universe currently expanding and cooling?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:01 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I'n not a physicist, but isn't the universe currently expanding and cooling?
If the universe was eternal, and had existed for trillions x trillions x trillions x trillions x........as in no beginning.....

first of all, we wouldn't have been able to pass an infinite amount of time to get to NOW....but 2nd of all, it would have been totally expanded and cooled off by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
They don't believe we came from nothing. They believe we came from dust, or a rib, or something.
Adam was formed from dirt, eve from his rib.

The dirt was formed from nothing.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Most philosophers would consider it a progression of logic. You should try it. I know it's difficult, but you'll be rewarded for thinking logically.

Really? What caused you and me to be here, then?

What caused the invariant natural law to be put into place?

I agree that there is nothing in this universe that wasn't created...do you?
IF there is a god then why the mystery? What is it afraid of? Why does it hide?

Why does it "work in mysterious ways"?

Why doesn't it just show up, state what it wants clearly without the erroneous interpretation by humans ..and get on with it....

Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Things like the 2nd law of thermodynics, and the expansion of the universe point to it NOT being eternal. The question then is, what caused the universe to exist?
You keep asking the same question even though it has been answered a dozen or ore times.

Neither the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics nor the expansion of the universe imply a beginning for the universe. It only implies a point during which this part of the universe passed through a singularity.

What about that do you not understand?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Adam was formed from dirt, eve from his rib.

The dirt was formed from nothing.
Yeah, and then Noah put all the dinosaurs and his ark and yadda, yadda, yadda. It's all pretty much nonsense to me.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You keep asking the same question even though it has been answered a dozen or ore times.

Neither the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics nor the expansion of the universe imply a beginning for the universe. It only implies a point during which this part of the universe passed through a singularity.

What about that do you not understand?
So now you're changing the argument....you now suggest that PART of the universe passed through a singularity.

Nope...doesn't work....the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics still tells us that it would have dissipated by now. If it was eternal, it would have dissipated a looooooooooooooooooong time before that singularity.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:06 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
The fact that you actively debate against the existence of God shows that it's a worldview for you. You are't just apathetic to the idea--you actively believe there is not a God.

So your belief is no God.
No, I actively debate neutrality. You are debating for the existence of a god without having any proof, while I'm saying there is neutrality. The onus is on you to prove the positive, my friend.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No, I actively debate neutrality. You are debating for the existence of a god without having any proof, while I'm saying there is neutrality. The onus is on you to prove the positive, my friend.
So then you believe there is a God?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
So then you believe there is a God?

Your god is not neutral, proof of your god would be proof of a positive. I don't believe in a god or gods because there is zero proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies