Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 01:15 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Honestly, dude...it's like trying to herd cats keeping up with you. You're all over the place.
Funny, there are a lot of us keeping up with him just fine. The only ones lagging behind are those that don't even have a rudimentary knowledge of evolution and science.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:16 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Funny, there are a lot of us keeping up with him just fine. The only ones lagging behind are those that don't even have a rudimentary knowledge of evolution and science.
You seem to have a basic failure to understand simple arguments, yourself, Mr. Cougar.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
He created the universe with all sorts of things to point to him....and if that isn't enough, he personally spoke to people...that wasn't enough so he actually became one of us....and we have a collection of 66 books that detail the account of all of this.

You were saying?
Those 66 books were written by men, and a lot of what
is in there is just repeated from the Old Testament.
They also did have a lot of time on their hands in
those days. Socrates and Plato wrote quite a bit too.

I think if you went back in time, you might find a
lot of these folks were just plain crazy

Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
He answered that, actually. In the story of Lazarus the beggar, a rich man in hell begged to have a messenger to go tell his brothers. The answer was no...they had adequate proof....but they won't believe it.
Accounts from centuries old religious books do not constitute evidence of anything. I would be curious why you place more credence in the "evidence" found in the Christian Bible than the evidence found in the Pyramid Texts, the Homeric Hymns, the Akilathirattu Ammanai, the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, the Bhagavad Gita, the Ramayana, the Qur'an, the Evangelion, Dianetics, the Tao Te Ching, Avesta, etc.

Quote:
Honestly? I sincerely doubt you'd believe if God were to appear at your doorstep this afternoon. You'd find a reason to turn a blind eye.
If a supernatural being appeared before me and started performing supernatural acts, I would definitely believe in that supernatural being.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Those 66 books were written by men, and a lot of what
is in there is just repeated from the Old Testament.
They also did have a lot of time on their hands in
those days. Socrates and Plato wrote quite a bit too.

I think if you went back in time, you might find a
lot of these folks were just plain crazy
It's obvious you've never actually read those books. 66 different books, different authors in different times....1 single, unifying thread running through them all. The Bible is an amazing piece of work....if you'd actually take a good look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Accounts from century old religious books do not constitute evidence of anything. I would be curious though why you place more credence in the "evidence" found in the Christian Bible than the evidence found in the Pyramid Texts, the Homeric Hymns, the Akilathirattu Ammanai, the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, the Bhagavad Gita, the Ramayana, the Qur'an, the Evangelion, Dianetics, the Tao Te Ching, Avesta, etc.
Because none of those works compare to the Bible? Seriously....take an objective look at it. I honestly haven't read all of those books you mentioned, but I have done a decent amount of study into several of them.
Quote:

If a supernatural being appeared before me and started performing supernatural acts, I would definitely believe in that supernatural being.
Perhaps. I seriously question that, though.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Because none of those works compare to the Bible? Seriously....take an objective look at it. I honestly haven't read all of those books you mentioned, but I have done a decent amount of study into several of them.
I don't understand this response at all. Is the question mark suppose to be a period?

Quote:
Perhaps. I seriously question that, though.
Of course I would. If some God appeared before me and created a new lifeform right before my eyes, or grew me to 100 feet tall, or brought my grandmother back from dead and gave her another 10 years of life, of course I would believe.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:41 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
In reality, do Christians respect other beliefs?
As Nietzsche said, it's not their love for us that keeps them from burning us at the stake; it's the impotence of their love.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
He answered that, actually. In the story of Lazarus the beggar, a rich man in hell begged to have a messenger to go tell his brothers. The answer was no...they had adequate proof....but they won't believe it.
Convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
Honestly? I sincerely doubt you'd believe if God were to appear at your doorstep this afternoon. You'd find a reason to turn a blind eye.
We're skeptical. Not stupid.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:44 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,162 times
I've been in genetics for over 10 years, and there is really no room for a god in there. Literally, and figuratively.

The genetic machinery just works on well reasoned grounds all on its own. (Evolution, Mutation, Chemistry, Amino Acids, Proteins and Enzymes) No gods needed there.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
It's obvious you've never actually read those books. 66 different books, different authors in different times....1 single, unifying thread running through them all. The Bible is an amazing piece of work....if you'd actually take a good look at it.
You can't even get through Genesis 2 without being confronted with 2 different and directly contradictory creation myths. Sorry, Cal, but your account here of the "1 single, unifying thread running through" the Bible cannot be taken seriously by anybody who approaches it with an expectation of rationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies